Tried a 2020 Riviera today

ricky1918

Reaction score
Sooooo as soon as I found out Epiphone was making them again I found the nearest one to me and got to try it.

It was the red one, quite a cool looking finish.

Overall the guitar was well made and sounded good.

BUT

Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy it fully.
You see, I had the chance to have a '67 Riviera for some time years ago. It was a poorly kept guitar, had suffered an orrible refinish, maybe the top broke, frets needed to be changed..
So even if the original I tried wasn't top notch, what it most resonated with me was the neck. I remember it to be extremely, extremely comfortable. The fretboard was narrow, more than every other guitar I tried (or at least this is how I remember it). Neck wasn't thick, it was just a perfect fit for me.
Unfortunately I couldn't hang on to it, and I had to let it go back to its owner.

So when I learnt Epiphone was making this again, I thought this may be my chance to own a Riviera.

too bad the only thing I actually wanted from it was the same neck. And the 2020 one does not have the same neck.The fretboard is kind of wide, felt wider than my strat, and the neck is chunkier. not too much, but it still threw me off in comparison to what I remember the 67 was.

I mean, I was completely fine with the different finish, the different pickups (the 67 I had had PAF sticker mini humbs), but man I wanted the neck to feel the same.

A shame.

Other than that, the 2020 one is good, maybe I wouldn't pay full ticket price but I'll try to get a second hand one sooner or later.

pic of the 2020 one I tried

pic of the badly refinished 67 I had

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been more attracted to the Epiphone hollow/semi-hollow lineup than any Gibson, other than the Byrdland... and honestly, the only reason I have any attraction to the Byrdland is because of Uncle Ted.

ricky1918

Reaction score
I've always been more attracted to the Epiphone hollow/semi-hollow lineup than any Gibson, other than the Byrdland... and honestly, the only reason I have any attraction to the Byrdland is because of Uncle Ted.

what I really find unappealing is when I find it difficult to navigate between the models. Like, what to look for, what to avoid, in a lineup that seems to have been exactly the same for years.
Epiphone usually doesn't make models that last decades, other than the dot which I know to avoid. so you know that the rivieras made in those 3/4/5 years span are good, and so on.

or at least this is what I figured out from years of scouting the market lol

needless to say, if I were to find a semiacoustic edwards for a good price I'd go for that over all the new Epis

stilwel

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I'm very particular about neck shapes.

Sounds like you're looking for a mid 90's "Peerless" Riviera. They have really narrow neck that you describe.

You'll often see references to "Peerless" Epiphones, which are made in the Korean Peerless factory. The serial number for Peerless guitars will start with the letter "R". MIne is "R95" which indicates Peerless made in 1995.

Here's mine:

ricky1918

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I'm very particular about neck shapes.

Sounds like you're looking for a mid 90's "Peerless" Riviera. They have really narrow neck that you describe.

You'll often see references to "Peerless" Epiphones, which are made in the Korean Peerless factory. The serial number for Peerless guitars will start with the letter "R". MIne is "R95" which indicates Peerless made in 1995.
I'll see if I can find one and try it!! thanks Stilwel!

Oh my....that "sunburst" is really something isn't it? :D

Yeah... I think the top suffered a break, just under the output jack and pots, so they had to repaint it with a BIG fade to hide the repair... still, it was an awful refinish job lol

stilwel

Reaction score
Yeah... I think the top suffered a break, just under the output jack and pots, so they had to repaint it with a BIG fade to hide the repair... still, it was an awful refinish job lol
That "fade".... :D

Yeah, they should have painted the whole thing black!

mgrasso03

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Cherry Riviera made in Korea that has the thinner neck profile, white truss rod cover and mini humbuckers. That will be the reissue you would want more than the 90s with the full sized humbuckers.

Latest Threads