Trick for routing truss rod cavity angle

kfowler8

Reaction score
I figured out a pretty cool trick for routing the truss rod cavity at an angle. I'm rounding here but the body end is basically 16mm deep and the nut end is 13mm deep. So a 3 mm difference.

What I did was take two dimes which are 1.25mm thick each. I wrapped them together in binding tape and they measured 3.19mm. Almost exact right thickness. I placed two sets of dimes on each side of the truss rod channel line at the nut and taped them into place.

Since my router table is not quite long enough for the entire neck to sit on, I needed to add another set of dimes. I placed the neck on a flat surface and the put a single dime under the middle. I then moved the butt of the neck closer to the dime until it caught and started to move the dime. I then marked this spot and taped a dime on each side of the channel. This now gave me the correct gently sloping truss rod angle.

Now all I had to do was put the neck on the router table and line the top of the bit up with the correct 16mm depth at the butt. As I routed toward nut, the dimes caused the neck to rise off the table ending at the desired 13mm.

It worked really well. I'm very pleased. I've got some pics and will try and post some tonight.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I kinda use that same trick. Except I use wooden shims instead of the dimes. I'd be too afraid of the dimes shifting a bit, and the router bit catching one and turning it into a projectile...

MLP_Daily_News.jpg

Frank

kfowler8

Reaction score
I kinda use that same trick. Except I use wooden shims instead of the dimes. I'd be too afraid of the dimes shifting a bit, and the router bit catching one and turning it into a projectile...

MLP_Daily_News.jpg

Frank

OK seriously that's funniest thing I've seen in a while. How did you do that?

Dimes were pretty staple with the binding tape. That stuff is pretty strong. I thought about using pennies at first but was worried about what you're talking about. Dimes were small enough to give you a fair amount of clearance.

bghk6581

Reaction score
Just make sure nobody near your work area has magnetic powers and a grudge towards you.

tumblr_lo6pnmHf5z1qavpvpo1_500.gif

emoney

Reaction score
Who has that kind of money just laying around the house anyway?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK seriously that's funniest thing I've seen in a while. How did you do that?

Dimes were pretty staple with the binding tape. That stuff is pretty strong. I thought about using pennies at first but was worried about what you're talking about. Dimes were small enough to give you a fair amount of clearance.

Glad you liked it, Kevin. I believe it may have been Flick who first posted the newspaper link on the forum last year. You can have some fun with, if used sparingly. Here is the link: The Newspaper Clipping Image Generator - Create your own fun newspaper

Frank

Latest Threads