Tribute + or?

Saldawop

Reaction score
Looking to buy guitar. Have 3 or 4 in mind. Would appreciate any input. This will be an online purchase(obviously atm)
All new guitars
Tribute + @£579
Standard 50s @ £529
Standard 60s @£529
Classic @ £419

Given the choice which would you choose? I understand that they all have differences ie neck profiles, coil splitting etc.
I am tempted by the T+as I understand it is highly regarded.
But it is the most expensive (though not by much) and I am only beginning to play....again.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Sight unseen, and unplayed

Gather up the extra money and go for the Tribute+

But might I suggest that before the purchase, you see what kind of return policy they have.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Standard 50's for me. I had a tribute plus and it didn't really like it.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
If I couldn't play it first, I'd choose the one with the thickest neck so given the options, the 50.

However, while I do wish my T+ had a thicker neck, it's a great guitar that I don't plan to get rid of anytime soon.

Shane

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Epiphone ProBuckers > Gibson 57 classics. IMO of course. I think I just like the extra output on ProBuckers vs 57s. I find the ProBuckers to sound just like Gibson burst buckers (which was intended of course)

:dude: Cardinalcomb

The Gibson 57 Classics may shine way above the Epi Alnico Classic pickups for cleans but the ProBuckers are totally a worthy pup if you want more bark then then 57's will ever muster on their own. The ProBuckers do a wicked clean as well.

I actually have both sets, plus another with replica T-Tops. To be honest, the 57's don't get played all that often.

DrBGood

Reaction score
'57s aren't the bees's knees. I think they are vastly overated. Give me a Probucker over them any day of the week.

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thanks all, lots of food for thought
Since you are a beginner, the most important thing is that you get a guitar that will make you want to play it. Since the only sure reference you now have is how they look, I say go with that. They are all really good guitars, so get the one that looks the best to YOU.

Saldawop

Reaction score
Where would the Traditional Pro lll @ £399 fit into the list above?
Is it worth considering?

Last edited:

Brian_C

Reaction score
As someone said above, at this stage of your guitar career, I'd go with what looks the best to YOU. All of those guitars are quality and will do a fine job, so I'd go with the "Eye Candy" for now.

Dan18

Reaction score
I have a tribute plus in wine and love it. Like others said, get the one that gets you excited to play it. My next one will be a Gibson burst of some sort and I sometimes think it will be so similar in style to my epi that I should sell the epi 60s plus. Nope. I like it enough that I’ll keep it till it quits.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the 57's VS Probuckers. Pick one that has the features and looks you like and hopefully it will be a winner!

Eddie 70

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Tribute+ now for about 6 years, maybe more. It's been awesome. No problems with it and I can't forsee any reason to get rid of it.

Latest Threads