Tremolux 6G9 Review

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
About a year ago Bob Cillo (from Italy) of the "Bob's Tone Review" youtube channel contacted me regarding his '61 Tremolux. He was hoping I'd be able to determine the specific circuit of his amp. The Trem has 6L6 tubes, odd transformers, and significant circuit fixes/mods.

After exchanging numerous emails and pictures I was able to give Papal Certitude that his amp was in fact originally a 6G9 EL84 Tremolux. One of only about 200 ever produced, making it the Holy Grail of Fender amps.

His video is well laid out, informative, and has a nice presentation. I get a shout-out around 15:20.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to listen to that guy.

I couldn't exactly hear that shout out you mention.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The accent does make it a bit difficult but I was able to follow without much trouble. The shout-out goes by quickly and easily missed if you have trouble with his accent.

I regret not buying a factory original unmolested 6G9 Trem when I had it in my hands. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!

Last edited:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Weren'i those EL84 units noted for self destructing, in totally stock form?
Just Askin'
Gene

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Weren'i those EL84 units noted for self destructing, in totally stock form?
Just Askin'
Gene

That they were. There are very few left unmolested for that reason. Most were converted to 6L6 (as originally intended by Fender). The power supply was designed for 6L6, but the initial batch of 200 or so were build with EL84 power tubes. That didn't work out well.

I think it's the best sounding Fender amp ever built. The 1X10 cab was a real problem as well. It needs the 2X10 to really sing.

Last edited:

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's the best sounding Fender amp ever built. The 1X10 cab was a real problem as well. It needs the 2X12 to really sing.
What little they played it in that video, it definitely sounded sweet.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What little they played it in that video, it definitely sounded sweet.

That's the Trem that belongs to Bob and has been seriously modified and converted to 6L6 tubes. Its lost the original 6G9 EL84 voicing.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's the Trem that belongs to Bob and has been seriously modified and converted to 6L6 tubes. Its lost the original 6G9 EL84 voicing.
SO, now, I'll try to mix that tone to all the EL84 amps I've had or tried and try to imagine what one would sound like lol.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The 6G9 Trem was the embodiment of "That's the best my amp ever sounded. Right before it detonated".

smk506

Reaction score
The 6G9 Trem was the embodiment of "That's the best my amp ever sounded. Right before it detonated".

I have an old champ clone from the Alamo company out in Texas, back in the 60’s. When I got it ($15) the cab was rotted and the speaker might have been missing…

Took the chassis, replaced one cap and drilled a few holes to mount it into a blues jr cab with an old speaker from an electronic organ.

Mother. Of. God.

That amp SCREAMED with the fire of 16 suns, easily the best tone I’ve ever had.

For about 1.5 - 2.5 hours total playtime :laugh2:

The Ballzz

Reaction score

^^^^^^^ Wiser words have rarely been typed! ^^^^^^^

I'll bet it would have sounded pretty great with 6V6s also.
Just Tremin'
Gene

E.T.

Reaction score
There truly is nothing quite like the sound of red-hot nickel :cool2:

EDIT: This sounds like an unconverted one to my ears, though I stand to be corrected.

Last edited:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There truly is nothing quite like the sound of red-hot nickel :cool2:

EDIT: This sounds like an unconverted one to my ears, though I stand to be corrected.

Thanks for sharing that link. I hadn't seen it.

If I had an original 6G9 I wouldn't dare use it. It would be like having you finger on the nuclear detonator.

Latest Threads