Reactions: V2

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
two things...
1. that sounds fricking great
2. wee bit, my ass

1. Thank you!
2. yeah, there's a lot of gain on tap. This variant of the YBA-1 was three gain stages instead of two plus a cathode follower. I used those three gain stages for my Caldera circuit, which is kinda like a stripped-down Friedman Smallbox.

Big John

four holes are better than one
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whenever they open up the border again, we are headed up to B.C. to get away. I am definitely going to stop by your shop with a lester in tow.

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whenever they open up the border again, we are headed up to B.C. to get away. I am definitely going to stop by your shop with a lester in tow.
Sweet!

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I should mention that I spliced together the recent audio clip with a previously recorded video, and so the settings of the amp in the video don't quite match the settings used to make this clip. I think the main differences were that the bright switch was off and the Presence was at 9 o'clock, not noon. The unseen rear-panel thump knob was probably at 10 or 11 o'clock.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
A friend in the 90s had one.
He asked me to cascade the channels.
Ended up with too much gain... way too bright... but he loved it!
Knowing what I know now, I would have done a few things differently and it would have sounded much better.
Knowing what I know now, if it were my amp, I'd have left it alone and just put an OD in front of it.

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This one is definitely not for the vintage purists!

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is another YBA-1 from the same era. This one has more gain on tap than the first. The preamp was loosely based on a Soldano SLO, but with only two preamp tubes, I had to design a solid-state source follower PCB to take the place of the missing cathode follower. Single channel with hi- and low-sensitivy inputs for four or three gain stages, respectively. For this clip, I was plugged into the high-sensitivity input. Rear-panel Depth knob was at noon.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well done, V2! The YBA-1 was such an amazing amp, it a shame it's been relegated to the dustbin of R&R history. It's just a killer sounding amp, and has even more potential that can be unlocked. As you've shown! It went through quite a bit of evolution during it's production years. I find the round-cab amps to be better than the baby-bumper amps, but they're quite hard to find.

The YBA-1 was the inspiration for my Serenity. Beautiful cleans and such smooth O/D.

Nice job!

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Soul Tramp. I have always had an affinity to the look of the bumper-clad models. It's just so different. Love 'em.

This version of the YBA-1 (1974) had three gain stages, all of which with unbiassed cathode resistors. I think it might be the only amp with three unbiassed gain stages. Fantastic tone on its own, especially for bass. I usually do some basic changes to reduce hum while maintaining a clean amp (mostly stock; slightly modified).

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I put a video up (ten years ago recorded with a digital camera, excuse the poor quality) of a YBA-1 with a PPIMV. No other mods than that, they're great amps:

I think that was the first video I'd ever recorded and I was actually pretty nervous, haha. The mic on the camera was clipping some, but you get the idea. They don't need much to be awesome!

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've watched that video several times over the years, Eric!

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Cool! I filmed it in a one bedroom upstairs apartment while my wife was cooking dinner, so it wasn't as loud as the digital camera clipping makes it seem. Great amp, I ended up selling it to the guitarist in The Pheromones, a good local San Diego band. I kind of want another one...

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
These are fantastic amps!

I picked up a '72 a few years ago and did a few simple Plexi mods to it while I was replacing the electrolytics. It was 25 degrees F in the unheated barn I did the work in that morning. Once I finished the work I raced it inside and immediately plugged it in and fired it up. I could barely move my fingers let alone play so excuse the frozen fingers playing in this first clip. This was recorded at that moment. It's really got Plexi vibe.

Les Paul straight in.

Tele & SD-1

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
These are fantastic amps!

I picked up a '72 a few years ago and did a few simple Plexi mods to it while I was replacing the electrolytics. It was 25 degrees F in the unheated barn I did the work in that morning. Once I finished the work I raced it inside and immediately plugged it in and fired it up. I could barely move my fingers let alone play so excuse the frozen fingers playing in this first clip. This was recorded at that moment. It's really got Plexi vibe.
Love it!

Latest Threads