Traynor Bassmaster

amarc89

Reaction score
I just bought a Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster (ser. #6027) tube head at a local flea market and was wondering if anyone had any insight on these? I don't have much experience with heads/cabs, so I'm not really sure what size cab would be suitable for this amp. It says its 175 watts, but I can't find much about any 175 watt Bassmasters out there. The guy I bought it from said it just needs replacement tubes and it should be ready to go, so I'm dyin to figure this all out.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
at a FLEA MARKET?!?! you're shitting me. wow, what a score.

They are about 50-60 watts (2 - EL34s), but, like a 50W Marshall, they are really really loud. I think they peak up like a Marshall at something crazy like 115W. (I know they have that 175W tag on there, I can't remember why, though)

I think any cab that handles 100W+ should be fine. Unless you are playing stadium tours where you can dime it.

It's a great plexi platform if you're into that.

My singer has one, we keep it around (dead stock, not modded) as an all around back up amp. Our bass player can use it, our singer can use it set clean for his guitar, or I can use it cranked through an attenuator to instant Marshall. What a great amp.

amarc89

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I found out a friend of mine has a suitable cab that he'll let me run it through. Now I just gotta figure out what tubes to buy to get it up and running, been following that tube brand thread to learn myself a thing or two. I'm pretty new to the world of tubes, and I'm cautious around this old thing with the two prong plug and all.

I fired it up a couple of nights ago for the first time, the one tube was clearly not working, and the other one was flickering a little bit. Just turned it off for now. The tubes look like real old, they were RCAs, don't know if that would've been the original set in a Traynor amp, but from what I've read it's not uncommon for this amp to still be working on the first ones.

vkennedy

Reaction score
They made those things for years, in many different configurations. If it's an early one, I'd say 50 watts is optimistic. There were many different Traynor speaker cabinets. A friend of mine played bass through a Bassmaster head and a single 15", but they also sold 2-12", 4-12", and a 6-10" cabinet. I had one for a while that I played through a Traynor Custom Special 8-10" cabinet.

They never sounded to me as good as a Fender, but that's probably because they used cheap RSC or Marsland speakers.

I played in a band with a lead guitarist who used a Bassmaster Mark II and 2 15" speakers. He was constantly blowing speakers. I think those Mark IIs were supposed to put out 85 watts. He sounded pretty good. Probably the reason I have tinnitus now.

amarc89

Reaction score
I haven't been able to put an exact date to it just yet. I came across the Yorkville website that had historic info and serial dating, and it gave a range that ended at 6500 in 1970. Mine is #6027, so I imagine it's probably from '69-'70.

When you say they never sounded as good as a Fender, are you referring to the Traynor cabs or the amps?

vkennedy

Reaction score
To me, Traynors always sounded a bit rough and scratchy when they went into distortion, while the Fenders sounded smoother, but I'd guess that was because of the speakers. I had a Guitar Mate Reverb, a Bassmaster Mark II, and a Custom Special. For a while I played the Mark II through a Goodman 18" speaker, and while it was very, very deep, it didn't have much definition to the notes (it probably didn't help that I was playing an EB3). To me, the old Traynors sound more like Marshalls than Fenders when you push them.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my singers YBA1 still has the original tubes. But then again, it doesn't get a lot of use.

I agree with vkennedy, to me they sound closer to a Marshall than a Fender, and make a better guitar amp than bass amp. And yeah, some of those old speakers didn't do them any favors.

Which tubes weren't working? btw, in case you didn't know, don't turn it on without it being plugged into a speaker cab.

Latest Threads