Tragedy strikes Indy state fair concert-many injurred and 4 rumored dead-

beuford23

Reaction score
The radar may have shown the storm only ten minutes away but that in terms of a violent CB cell is nothing. Along with a severe thunderstorm you get gust fronts. These will precede the thunderstorm and can be violently strong too. Sadly, a storm "10 minutes away" doesn't mean s--t and even if it did, then they should have been pulling the plug on that much sooner.

Blues4U

Reaction score
Sad indeed, a friend of mine worked the music fest in Camrose 2 years where they had a stage collapse that killed one and injured over 75 (Kevin Costner was backstage getting ready to perform).
I only question what kind of weather briefing was provided/available to the concert organizers. Over the last 2 or 3 weeks I've monitored countless thunderstorm activity in that region of your country. Organizers should have known of the local weather warnings!

In our part of the world--weather is in a constant state of flux--

Storms build, dissipate, grow, and peter out, in minutes---sometimes, seconds--

There were trained professionals watching this system on radar and trying to figure out what to do--

If they would have told a 20K plus crowd to head for the hills, the sky is falling, more than likely, just as many people would have been hurt in the pending panic-

Traditional more people have been injured and killed at such events by panic, and crushing and trampling each other---than actual collapses or storm damage-and I am sure the professionals dealing with the event knew this-

From an event safety/planning perspective, you have to walk a tight rope--

WHen this storm blew through my place--just as at the fair grounds, the wind was ahead of the storm--it didn't blow that hard here, but it build strength and speed as it headed East-

beuford23

Reaction score
Up here north of the border I am one of those "trained professionals". I can tell you, we don't try and figure out what to do. Those that try and figure out what to do are the event organizers. A weather observer/briefer will tell them what the storm is doing in terms of direction, motion, intensity of precip and real time conditions such as wind gusts. People would have known long before the accident that a storm was heading their way. A sever thunderstorm can and will produce surface wind gusts and squalls up to 70 knots (80 miles per hour) The smaller venue as mentioned shut down sooner without problems. They could have and should have at least delayed the show and had people move back from the stage. Cool heads and common sense would have prevailed in this case.
Sorry, just my 0.2 cents

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I almost went to the fair that night, but my wife had wanted to stay home. There was an alert of a storm coming, but the wind came much before the rest of the storm. From what I heard, they had just announced to the people that there was a storm coming, and to take precaution while they decided how to respond. At the time, the storm was thought to be a half hour out, but only a couple minutes after the announcement was made was when the wind gust hit.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm a couple hours east of Indy. The storm blew through here and the wife said the winds were VERY high, blowing plants and chairs over on our patio. I was indoors at a gig and oblivious to storm outside.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Yeah Dager--I live pretty much straight west of the city about 35 miles West of the loop--Between 36 and 40--
I just saw this and was curious where, because I live about 30-40 miles west of Indy between 36 and 40. :hmm: I work in Greencastle and live about 8 miles east of there.

Blues4U

Reaction score
I just saw this and was curious where, because I live about 30-40 miles west of Indy between 36 and 40. :hmm: I work in Greencastle and live about 8 miles east of there.

Yep--Greencastle--

Eric Smith

Reaction score
For those of you that are not local to the Indiana area, the death toll has risen to 7 now.

Latest Threads