Tragedy strikes Indy state fair concert-many injurred and 4 rumored dead-

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some heavy equipment on the grounds, the people who are OK should clear out of there and let the lifters, engineers and emergency workers in.

Blues4U

Reaction score
There is some heavy equipment on the grounds, the people who are OK should clear out of there and let the lifters, engineers and emergency workers in.

Already done for the most part--most of the footage that's out there is a little old--

There are many doctors, nurses, emt's ect in the crowd and that is who a lot of the people in street clothes are--As well as minters and rescue personnel--

We are funny like that, in this part of the world--We tend to run toward danger to help if we can---

sammyblp

Reaction score
This is truly horrible. WTF is with all the stage collapses lately?

Hyper

Reaction score
This is horrible! Hopefully all the people that were taken to the hospital are ok. Sugarland was literally 30 seconds from taking the stage. They were backstage all gathered in a circle saying a prayer like they do before each show. They were the lucky ones!

I live about 50 minutes East of Blues4U and about 10 minutes from DagerOne. The wind that came through here was brutal and It came through like a freight train. Nothing ahead of it and a slight trail of wind behind it. Blew the doors on my shed open and tossed my patio furniture across the yard. Incredible!

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just last week:

"The August 6 incident occurred after heavy winds and rain pounded Tulsa, ending a block party music festival that featured Primus, the Flaming Lips and other acts. A lighting rig fell down and struck audio equipment and instruments. "
CNN

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very sad to hear it. Just contacted my friends in S. Indy and was relieved to hear that none of them were anywhere near the disaster.

--R

eta: Just checked out the clip mtgguitar provided a link for. You could see that the winds were extremely high, and that the crowd appeared to be aware that something terrible was about to happen.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Wow, that was one hell of a wind that came and do that.

Hope they ask the promoters to check for proper stage structural safety to everyone from now on.

Eric Smith

Reaction score
Last night we were playing a gig where my amp got damaged because of the high wind and we just so happened to be playing a Sugarland song at the time.

I recieved information that our lead singer had tickets to that show and would have been down in front, but she took chose our gig instead.

Eric Smith

Reaction score
Wow, that was one hell of a wind that came and do that.

Hope they ask the promoters to check for proper stage structural safety to everyone from now on.
It was pretty bad for the whole state at times yesterday.

DagerOne

Reaction score
Grr. As if this wasn't all bad enough, the news coverage today seems to be playing the blame game. "Who built the structure? Why couldn't it sustain and stand in 74mph winds? Why weren't people warned sooner to evacuate?" Weather forecasters are on the defensive, claiming they couldn't have seen it coming. Meanwhile, a much smaller venue here in the city shut down its outdoor concert a full 15 minutes before the winds reached them after hearing reports off to the west of the surge...so of course, people are pointing to that wondering why the State Fair didn't do the same thing even though the situations are no where NEAR equivalent. Sheesh. Sickening. :( It always has to be someone's fault.

They aren't even opening the State Fair today.

atheos

Reaction score
Grr. As if this wasn't all bad enough, the news coverage today seems to be playing the blame game. "Who built the structure? Why couldn't it sustain and stand in 74mph winds? Why weren't people warned sooner to evacuate?" ....

They should be asking these questions, because 5 people are gone because of this tragedy. I can't help but be a little cynical about the fact that the carnie constructed ferris wheels stood strong while this structure collapsed.
But, to answer the question as to who build it Mid-AmericaSound

They should probably remove this image from their webpage
c0lic.png

EDIT: 5 deaths now confirmed.

Blues4U

Reaction score
5 dead, the youngest a 7 year old, baby to someone--

Most recent was one of the crew--

DagerOne

Reaction score
They should be asking these questions, because 5 people are gone because of this tragedy. I can't help but be a little cynical about the fact that the carnie constructed ferris wheels stood strong while this structure collapsed.

Wind blows right through a ferris wheel. That big tent on top of the stage structure was one giant sail. Winds clocked at 74mph, which is equivalent to a category one hurricane, or the 12th level on the Beaufort Wind Scale which one would expect to cause "extreme destruction or devastation." Seems pretty accurate.

And the questions would be fine...in a few days. I simply think it's too soon for folks to be pointing fingers and jumping to conclusions in order to cover their own asses. How about we thank our lucky stars for quick response times, for people coming to the aid of others to lift the structures off their fellow concert-goers even when it put them in harm's way, and take time to mourn those who just went to the State Fair looking for a good time and lost their lives in a freak accident?

It's a tragic occurrence. I just don't like that the smell of forthcoming lawsuits is stronger than that of the livestock there at the fairgrounds.

beuford23

Reaction score
Sad indeed, a friend of mine worked the music fest in Camrose 2 years where they had a stage collapse that killed one and injured over 75 (Kevin Costner was backstage getting ready to perform).
I only question what kind of weather briefing was provided/available to the concert organizers. Over the last 2 or 3 weeks I've monitored countless thunderstorm activity in that region of your country. Organizers should have known of the local weather warnings!

Indyclone

Reaction score
I had family, and friends of my daughter were there... all ok

I'm 5 miles south and 7 miles east of the fairgrounds, and the gust missed my house... must have been going northeast.

I really don't think that any structures like that are designed to withstand a 74 mph wind. IMO, this is just a tragic accident.

The radar at the time of the gust showed the storm a good 10 minutes away, and there had been no reports of winds like that.
There was a warning at that concert that they might need to evacuate, but this just came and went too quickly.

What an horrific scene, from the video I would think more people would have been hurt. Quite a few people got very lucky, unfortunately there were some who weren't so lucky.

Blues4U

Reaction score
Wind blows right through a ferris wheel. That big tent on top of the stage structure was one giant sail. Winds clocked at 74mph, which is equivalent to a category one hurricane, or the 12th level on the Beaufort Wind Scale which one would expect to cause "extreme destruction or devastation." Seems pretty accurate.

And the questions would be fine...in a few days. I simply think it's too soon for folks to be pointing fingers and jumping to conclusions in order to cover their own asses. How about we thank our lucky stars for quick response times, for people coming to the aid of others to lift the structures off their fellow concert-goers even when it put them in harm's way, and take time to mourn those who just went to the State Fair looking for a good time and lost their lives in a freak accident?

It's a tragic occurrence. I just don't like that the smell of forthcoming lawsuits is stronger than that of the livestock there at the fairgrounds.

I agree wholeheartedly--

Questions will be asked, investigations launched and eventually, appropriate actions taken-

It does seem we have went for decades without such incidents, and now, we have had around half a dozen such collapses recently--

We are unsure if there have been design changes, constructions changes or set up changes, that have caused these incidents, or if these sorts of structures are being used more often, therefore, the exposure of them has increased, and the law of averages is finally catching up with us-

I for one, have always felt, from a construction standard, there are not enough vertical columns to support the roof and lattice above--

ANswers will come from these questions-- but today, the questions need to be, what can we do to help the victims--not, what can we do to punish the guilty--imo-

Latest Threads