Traeger owners, any love/hate for the Pro 575?

Olds442

Reaction score
after discussing with traeger customer service, they agree that the second one is normal, and the first grill was messed up. i've followed their advice and cleaned and reburned the second time on the new one. some of the whiteness is normal, an excessive amount was likely just burning off mfg oils etc.

the second grill will get a work out tonight, those bacon wrapped pineapple chunks look amazing. @Ed B thanks i'll be doing that soon.

Deftone

Reaction score
We have the Camp Chef Smoke Pro. No complaints. It was $450.

Ed B

Reaction score
My friends Camp Chef caught fire last year. I think it was due to an auger issue. Don't remember exactly, but he said it was the 2nd time it happened. He lost faith and replaced it.

As with any grill make sure it's at least 3 feet from combustible material.

Olds442

Reaction score
i cut the bacon too small, but the pineapple chunks were pretty small. then went with cheese stuffed brats with a veggie pile.

me likey.

Olds442

Reaction score
grabbed this bag, with my coupon from ACE. it's the closest place and they only have treager pellets so i figured why not?

za'atar and paprika rub, panko and bread crumbs, dipped in egg whites first.

boo yah

50 minutes later

got these on now, she wanted them again so i got the big chunks and did the half strip each. i sprinkled a little famous daves rib rub on them for giggles.

Foo for Thought

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues. I hate to say it, but these grills are cheap for a reason. If you can, spend more for something that is all stainless and high quality. I have a Recteq. Mine is the version just prior to this one. This is better in many ways. Wish I would have waited a year. :laugh2: https://www.recteq.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill

It changed my life. This was after more than a decade with the green egg. Not one single issue with this grill.

Made some apps for Easter over the weekend. Bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. Always a huge hit.

View attachment 529766
View attachment 529767

If anyone is interested in the recipe:

1 pound of bacon
1 can of chunk pineapple (I recommend Wegman's, nice size and all uniform in shape)

Each chunk gets a half of strip of bacon wrapped around it.

250 degrees, with the extra smoke setting on. Roughly 1hr 40mins depending on how you like your bacon. No need to flip.
I'm a Recteqer too. They don't get the pub of the Traegers and Green Mountains, but they are great pellet smokers.

Olds442

Reaction score
I'm a Recteqer too. They don't get the pub of the Traegers and Green Mountains, but they are great pellet smokers.
they look amazing. if i could do it all over again, i probably would have gone that way given my first 575 experience.

so these worked out. light glaze on a few of them.

before

during

after

didn't go big on the spices, a little famous daves for color and evoo.

Lex

Reaction score
Last week, I had success smoking a tri-tip on the Weber kettle... Lump charcoal, and I have some well-seasoned red oak and almond. Ordered an igrill 2 thermometer/probe thingy to monitor temps. Will get better with the kettle before I decide to spend on a dedicated smoker. Yoder Competition looks really good :wow:

Olds442

Reaction score
Last week, I had success smoking a tri-tip on the Weber kettle... Lump charcoal, and I have some well-seasoned red oak and almond. Ordered an igrill 2 thermometer/probe thingy to monitor temps. Will get better with the kettle before I decide to spend on a dedicated smoker. Yoder Competition looks really good :wow:
tri tip on a kettle is no small feat. kudos to you. i've used an igrill mini for years with great results on my webers as well. great gear!

i grew up on weber kettles. the only thing that's difficult to do is what you did. smoke a brisket or tri tip. not easy at all, but very doable if you know the tricks to the trade. let me know if you need any insights or tips. :cheers2: but it sounds like you already know what you're doing. which is awesome.

Reactions: Lex

pnuggett

Reaction score
they look amazing. if i could do it all over again, i probably would have gone that way given my first 575 experience.

so these worked out. light glaze on a few of them.

before

during

after

didn't go big on the spices, a little famous daves for color and evoo.

Pffftt........no spoon.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do some tri tip. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a full brisket the other day. Our local store has been having some great deals and they had a 18# brisket for $70 (reg $120). I just didn't have the time to fix it or the room in the fridge/freezer to store it.

Lex

Reaction score
So, maybe I am not really smoking here... I don't know. This evening I cooked a half of a tri tip on the Weber. Cooking for two, so just over a pound of meat. Small stuff. Rub on a light coat of French mustard with a touch of honey. Then Coat in my dry rub seasoning. Fridge it.

I adjust the vents to about 1/4 open, and once the meat goes on, I put a few chunks of red oak over the lump charcoal. I have a thermometer on the lid, but I don't yet know how accurate it is. I had this piece in for an hour, and It read 140 when I stuck it with the instant thermometer. Then I like to brush a thin layer of Stubbs Sticky sweet, and move it over the coals for a little color. Then wrap in foil and rest.

Maybe this isn't really smoking? I am not really a bbq buff. Was good, with a nice smoke flavor. Will use the leftovers in tacos tomorrow evening. Throw a Margarita together.

pnuggett

Reaction score
So, maybe I am not really smoking here... I don't know. This evening I cooked a half of a tri tip on the Weber. Cooking for two, so just over a pound of meat. Small stuff. Rub on a light coat of French mustard with a touch of honey. Then Coat in my dry rub seasoning. Fridge it.

I adjust the vents to about 1/4 open, and once the meat goes on, I put a few chunks of red oak over the lump charcoal. I have a thermometer on the lid, but I don't yet know how accurate it is. I had this piece in for an hour, and It read 140 when I stuck it with the instant thermometer. Then I like to brush a thin layer of Stubbs Sticky sweet, and move it over the coals for a little color. Then wrap in foil and rest.

Maybe this isn't really smoking? I am not really a bbq buff. Was good, with a nice smoke flavor. Will use the leftovers in tacos tomorrow evening. Throw a Margarita together.

That's as close to smoking as you'll get with a Weber charcoal grill and you can get some pretty good results on short cooks like a tri-tip. Long smokes like brisket or pork shoulders are best and easier on a dedicated smoker.

Reactions: Lex

Olds442

Reaction score

i typically would use the snake method for a tri-tip/brisket/pork butt of any sort on the kettle.

https://perthbbqschool.com/2020/02/19/how-to-the-snake-method/ there's a good link to the process from the mythical land of oz. but it works on both hemispheres.

i also control the heat at the bottom vent, and leave the top vent full open. you want the air to escape, not get choked up in the kettle. a barely open bottom vent with a wide open top vent will get you low and slow with the snake method charcoal pattern for hours. of course, these things need to be monitored with a cold beverage in hand.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the snake method with my Weber but couldn't get it to work. Frankly, I had a hard time with the Weber. It seemed like as soon as I thought the temp was steady I'd turn my back and it was down 50 degrees. I still have it and will probably try again but that's why I love my Pit Boss.

Latest Threads