Traeger owners, any love/hate for the Pro 575?

Olds442

Reaction score
so pretty weird experience during the break in period. after doing the one hour break in burn i noticed a light blue film throughout the interior of the grill. it's greasy.

they state in the FAQs that a bad smell typically occurs during the initial burn in, but this was next level bad. it left a film throughout.

so i did a complete tear down and wiped everything out and re-did the burn in. same results.

either way, no way i'm cooking anything on this. i'll be calling ABT CS tomorrow to arrange a swap out.

Last edited:

Olds442

Reaction score
so today i received my replacement grill for the issue i had. going to assemble and do the "break in" period again, hopefully with different results.

i used my brother's camp chef when i saw him last week, i had great success with my staple breaded thighs and a pan of veggies.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
so today i received my replacement grill for the issue i had. going to assemble and do the "break in" period again, hopefully with different results.

i used my brother's camp chef when i saw him last week, i had great success with my staple breaded thighs and a pan of veggies.
Did they give a reason for why that happened? Bad paint/coating?

Olds442

Reaction score
Did they give a reason for why that happened? Bad paint/coating?
i think they're stumped on this one at this point. it's not the same stuff that normally happens during a break in, that's for sure. but the coating/paint is likely suspect.

i imagine they'll do a tear down once they have it back. Pilot Air was supposed to pick up the old one, but they haven't called me yet. If they never call i'm fine having it hang around for parts etc.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think they're stumped on this one at this point. it's not the same stuff that normally happens during a break in, that's for sure. but the coating/paint is likely suspect.

i imagine they'll do a tear down once they have it back. Pilot Air was supposed to pick up the old one, but they haven't called me yet. If they never call i'm fine having it hang around for parts etc.
You should have scraped it down and made some rub from the blue toxins.

Olds442

Reaction score
You should have scraped it down and made some rub from the blue toxins.
"Jersey Dump Rub"

doing the initial break in again now. smells a lot better than last time. hopefully i can cook on it tonight.

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pro 780 here, great to set it and forget it.

Last edited:

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried smoking chicken wings, but the grease keeps making my papers rip.

Olds442

Reaction score

sure wish i knew what the hell that blue and white goo of death is. i'm bumming major hard right now.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Probably doesn't help you in any meaningful way... but when I installed my wood burning stove in the cabin, I similarly had to bake-in the factory finish at completion. The smoke and smell was awful. Doors and windows open. Took a few burns before I felt that paint baking process was complete. I know, different appliances... just thought maybe the burn-in somehow may not have completed? Maybe a paint issue?

I am only replying because your post has me looking at pellet smokers :)

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re in the market for a new grill. I admit, I like the ease of gas, but am getting tired of having to replace it every few years. been looking at pellet grills and am also interested in anyone’s experience.

Hurts my head shopping though all the brands and options.
I picked up a Pit Boss 850 last year and it's been great. I get much better results than I did with my Weber which I could never get a steady temp on. While I usually buy pellets locally, Pit Boss has a wonderful whiskey barrel blend they sell online with free shipping. I keep a pile of 5-gal buckets with different pellets (WB, apple, hickory, pecan, etc).

I monitor the meat with a Thermoworks Smoke. It's a dual-probe thermometer. An instant-read thermometer is also important.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I've had the earlier Traeger Pro 22 model for about four years now. It's really convenient and does a pretty good job on smoking but won't impart as much smoke flavor as my Weber WSM Smoker but the Weber is more work to set up and clean. Also the set it and forget it temperature control is really great on the Traeger. It's been dependable and have only had a couple small issues with it. One thing it won't do is get really hot enough to sear meat. Struggles to get to 450°.

You won't go wrong with Traeger but If I were to buy another pellet grill/smoker I would consider this one with the 900° sear option.

Sear on the grill and transfer to the smoker.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I picked up a Pit Boss 850 last year and it's been great. I get much better results than I did with my Weber which I could never get a steady temp on. While I usually buy pellets locally, Pit Boss has a wonderful whiskey barrel blend they sell online with free shipping. I keep a pile of 5-gal buckets with different pellets (WB, apple, hickory, pecan, etc).

I monitor the meat with a Thermoworks Smoke. It's a dual-probe thermometer. An instant-read thermometer is also important.
Ditto for me as well. Don’t have a Traeger, but similar off brand that’s consistent in holding its temperature. The Thermoworks smoke is a godsend and wouldn’t cook without it. I also use the Thermopen with the smoker, grill and oven.

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually the other way around. once the meat reaches a certain internal temp (140f) it doesn't take on much more smoke flavor. you'd be better off smoking it for a while, then transferring it to the grill.
Yup, I smoke steaks low and slow till 110° or so then throw them in the cast iron skillet to sear.

Ed B

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues. I hate to say it, but these grills are cheap for a reason. If you can, spend more for something that is all stainless and high quality. I have a Recteq. Mine is the version just prior to this one. This is better in many ways. Wish I would have waited a year. :laugh2: https://www.recteq.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill

It changed my life. This was after more than a decade with the green egg. Not one single issue with this grill.

Made some apps for Easter over the weekend. Bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. Always a huge hit.

19936338-280C-4244-8B50-920C014E67FE.jpeg

849EDEF8-18C5-409D-A188-02CDE45171E1.jpeg

If anyone is interested in the recipe:

1 pound of bacon
1 can of chunk pineapple (I recommend Wegman's, nice size and all uniform in shape)

Each chunk gets a half of strip of bacon wrapped around it.

250 degrees, with the extra smoke setting on. Roughly 1hr 40mins depending on how you like your bacon. No need to flip.

Last edited:

pnuggett

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues. I hate to say it, but these grills are cheap for a reason. If you can, spend more for something that is all stainless and high quality. I have a Recteq. Mine is the version just prior to this one. This is better in many ways. Wish I would have waited a year. :laugh2: https://www.recteq.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill

It changed my life. This was after more than a decade with the green egg. Not one single issue with this grill.

Made some apps for Easter over the weekend. Bacon wrapped pineapple chunks. Always a huge hit.

View attachment 529766
View attachment 529767

If anyone is interested in the recipe:

1 pound of bacon
1 can of chunk pineapple (I recommend Wegman's, nice size and all uniform in shape)

Each chunk gets a half of strip of bacon wrapped around it.

250 degrees, with the extra smoke setting on. Roughly 1hr 40mins depending on how you like your bacon. No need to flip.

That's a nice smoker and a step up from the Traeger but it should be at 500-600 dollars more.

1617732395088.png

Latest Threads