Traeger owners, any love/hate for the Pro 575?

Olds442

Reaction score
seems like the best wifi pellet grill out there from the reviews i've been reading. it's been out a few years so i figured someone here has one.

researched a few "knock offs" but they all seem to have spotty blutooth connections or cost about the same thing. sure there's better if you want to hike over the $800 mark. i'd rather not.

thoughts? opinions? gender reveals?

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
I went with an 1ronwood 650 last summer and it's been worth every cent. I don't know why I waited so long to get one. Our charcoal weber barely gets any use now.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
seems like the best wifi pellet grill out there from the reviews i've been reading. it's been out a few years so i figured someone here has one.

researched a few "knock offs" but they all seem to have spotty blutooth connections or cost about the same thing. sure there's better if you want to hike over the $800 mark. i'd rather not.

thoughts? opinions? gender reveals?
The folks next door have one of these. It's very cool. They love it. I'm not that "into" it. I'mma just a toss-a-ribeye on the grill kinda guy.

But, I do love eating the stuff that you can make with them!

jkes01

Reaction score
We’re in the market for a new grill. I admit, I like the ease of gas, but am getting tired of having to replace it every few years. been looking at pellet grills and am also interested in anyone’s experience.

Hurts my head shopping though all the brands and options.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I've had the earlier Traeger Pro 22 model for about four years now. It's really convenient and does a pretty good job on smoking but won't impart as much smoke flavor as my Weber WSM Smoker but the Weber is more work to set up and clean. Also the set it and forget it temperature control is really great on the Traeger. It's been dependable and have only had a couple small issues with it. One thing it won't do is get really hot enough to sear meat. Struggles to get to 450°.

You won't go wrong with Traeger but If I were to buy another pellet grill/smoker I would consider this one with the 900° sear option.

Olds442

Reaction score
I've had the earlier Traeger Pro 22 model for about four years now. It's really convenient and does a pretty good job on smoking but won't impart as much smoke flavor as my Weber WSM Smoker but the Weber is more work to set up and clean. Also the set it and forget it temperature control is really great on the Traeger. It's been dependable and have only had a couple small issues with it. One thing it won't do is get really hot enough to sear meat. Struggles to get to 450°.

You won't go wrong with Traeger but If I were to buy another pellet grill/smoker I would consider this one with the 900° sear option.

those look cool but tiny. i supposed for a portable one they'd be great.

a few of the reviews have mentioned that the newer 575 gets more smoke into the food than the previous models. i wonder how much hyperbole that really is.

this guy got good marks too, but it's the same price. says you can dial in the amount of smoke.

so did this one.

i guess, those are the best two competitors that cost about the same price at the $800 mark, and have reliable wifi connectivity. i'm still leaning towards the Pro 575.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Texas Elite 34. It's a Costco model. It works great. I don't feel the need for the extras myself. It's already too easy to make good food on.

failsafe306

Reaction score
I have a Pro 780 and love the thing to death. It will easily hold anywhere from 180* to 500*

I love throwing burgers on there at 500 and seeing the nice reddish smoke ring when you take a bite.

Olds442

Reaction score
I have the Texas Elite 34. It's a Costco model. It works great. I don't feel the need for the extras myself. It's already too easy to make good food on.
i figured that having the wifi would be good since my blutooth device cuts out at about 10 feet. it's not until i restart my phone that it will kick back to the right temp, which has fucked me up on occasion.

i'm using a weber igrill device, which works great, so long as it's within that 10 feet of my phone.

pnuggett

Reaction score
those look cool but tiny. i supposed for a portable one they'd be great.

a few of the reviews have mentioned that the newer 575 gets more smoke into the food than the previous models. i wonder how much hyperbole that really is.

this guy got good marks too, but it's the same price. says you can dial in the amount of smoke.

so did this one.

i guess, those are the best two competitors that cost about the same price at the $800 mark, and have reliable wifi connectivity. i'm still leaning towards the Pro 575.
Just realized I posted the Camp Chef sear box option twice. Meant to link the Camp Chef that you linked. That is the one I would consider along with the Traeger. The sear box option fits on that smoker.

I use this when I want to add more smoke in my Traeger. Works great. I light it with a 9 dollar heat gun from Harbor freight.

pnuggett

Reaction score

My next door neighbor had the Traeger 22 and sold it and bought the 34" Costco model. He said the 34" doesn't give near as much smoke and smoke flavor than the 22 did. A smoke tube accessory might fix that.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never bought one but some of my neighbors have them and love them, they say they’re amazing but I’m not into meat smoking other than eating it

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next door neighbor had the Traeger 22 and sold it and bought the 34" Costco model. He said the 34" doesn't give near as much smoke and smoke flavor than the 22 did. A smoke tube accessory might fix that.
Mine produces a decent amount of smoke imo. Not the super smoke option, but it does have a regular "smoke" option, which I have used twice for an hour before starting the real cooking., I think it's around 150-175 with just the smoke setting. It fuckin billows with that on, but not a ton on 250 or higher. But I have also only used it a handful of times and all those times has been under 20 degrees outside and one time was -10. So hard to gauge temps on that smoke setting. It was working overtime to keep temp under those outdoor conditions. No doubt its probably a budget model even though it was $700. Gift from the wife.

Olds442

Reaction score
my bro has the camp chef, which are out of stock at lowes and the same price as the 575. essentially very similar in features and size. HD only has black 575s and i would rather go with the bronze.

Olds442

Reaction score
so I looked at what's left at the HD/Menards/Lowes. the cooking height is a bit better on the 575 than the regular pro 22. plus the grill has a higher internal space than it's predecessors. i would have gone with the camp chef if it was available and i liked it, as i think it's a little more versatile. but it's out of stock everywhere. so after breezing through to see what else is out there i called my sales guy at ABT.

i love my peeps at ABT Electronics. (shameless plug alert) they slashed that price by more than i can say online. (almost 20%) that pretty much sealed the deal. and they are the only store with a bronze version on hand that i could find. a year or so ago, they didn't carry traeger so i'm very glad i called.

pnuggett

Reaction score
so I looked at what's left at the HD/Menards/Lowes. the cooking height is a bit better on the 575 than the regular pro 22. plus the grill has a higher internal space than it's predecessors. i would have gone with the camp chef if it was available and i liked it, as i think it's a little more versatile. but it's out of stock everywhere. so after breezing through to see what else is out there i called my sales guy at ABT.

i love my peeps at ABT Electronics. (shameless plug alert) they slashed that price by more than i can say online. (almost 20%) that pretty much sealed the deal. and they are the only store with a bronze version on hand that i could find. a year or so ago, they didn't carry traeger so i'm very glad i called.

Good job. I used to shop at ABT when I lived up there.

Olds442

Reaction score
Good job. I used to shop at ABT when I lived up there.
i'll probably still shop there for certain things after I leave. that place is amazing and they always "knock off" more than 10% like it's GC back in the 1980s.

today is set up day, thank goodness it's actually going to get over 40f today.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll take longer to unbox than put together :)

pnuggett

Reaction score
i'll probably still shop there for certain things after I leave. that place is amazing and they always "knock off" more than 10% like it's GC back in the 1980s.

today is set up day, thank goodness it's actually going to get over 40f today.

Latest Threads