Trads and Standards

101ABN327

Reaction score
Why is is the value of LP Traditionals is consistently lower than those of the Standards? I have both and can't understand why... Anyone?

theycallmegio

Reaction score
standard is the ‘standard’

it’ a what the bursts were back in the 50s.

Traditional has always been a more modestly price line, even the years when they were more ‘correct’ than the LP standard

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here -- I have been reading these forums for a bit now so I figured I would join.
As to the conversation ... In my opinion, the Traditional line has also been mudded down a bit by the Traditional Pro line as well, which (initially anyway) was priced well below standards with some less features.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here -- I have been reading these forums for a bit now so I figured I would join.
As to the conversation ... In my opinion, the Traditional line has also been mudded down a bit by the Traditional Pro line as well, which (initially anyway) was priced well below standards with some less features.

The Traditional Pro actually had more more features - Locking Tuners, Coil Spits or Taps, Active Boost Circuits, Phase Switching. The TP1 - 2 and 3 had Satin Finished back and necks. The TP4 was full gloss. The TP5 is full satin finish.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I did not mean to denigrate the Trad Pro. Far from it, actually, as I have a 2010 Trad Pro. It is the most amazing guitar - just awesome. But, when I bought it new, it was priced $400 less than a Standard, and the Trad Pro had satin (not gloss) back/sides/neck and a plain top. And, yes, the Trad Pro releases from there had numerous variants, but I think there is still a lingering perception that the Trad Pro is a bit of a lesser model compared to a Standard. It is just my opinion.

My 2010 Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro (for the initial 09-11 Trad Pros, the word "Standard" was actually part of the official model name, but was later dropped):

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not mean to denigrate the Trad Pro. Far from it, actually, as I have a 2010 Trad Pro. It is the most amazing guitar - just awesome. But, when I bought it new, it was priced $400 less than a Standard, and the Trad Pro had satin (not gloss) back/sides/neck and a plain top. And, yes, the Trad Pro releases from there had numerous variants, but I think there is still a lingering perception that the Trad Pro is a bit of a lesser model compared to a Standard. It is just my opinion.

My 2010 Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro (for the initial 09-11 Trad Pros, the word "Standard" was actually part of the official model name, but was later dropped):

Welcome to the Far-um.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is is the value of LP Traditionals is consistently lower than those of the Standards? I have both and can't understand why... Anyone?
I think that all of the posted reasons have contributed to that perception.

It's funny: I was literally pondering the same thing today

Injector

Reaction score
Standards cost more when new.
My 2019 Trad cost £2100 whilst my 2019 Standard cost £1950.
My Trad looks nicer, is lighter and plays better yet it is valued much lower, probably £300 lower. Why? Prior to the Original Series the Trad was the model to have for several years and it's a Standard in all but the truss rod cover.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
My 2019 Trad cost £2100 whilst my 2019 Standard cost £1950.
My Trad looks nicer, is lighter and plays better yet it is valued much lower, probably £300 lower. Why? Prior to the Original Series the Trad was the model to have for several years and it's a Standard in all but the truss rod cover.
Then you got a killer deal on your Standard, because normal MSRP from Gibson always had the Trad a few hundred less than the Standard (back when both were still being offered).

Injector

Reaction score
Then you got a killer deal on your Standard, because normal MSRP from Gibson always had the Trad a few hundred less than the Standard (back when both were still being offered).
Here in the UK before the Original Collection were released Trads were priced higher than the soon to be released new Standard. Once the lower priced Original Series Standard came out stores put the Trads on special to clear them out and that's when they took on this 'budget guitar' vibe.

It's a shame because they're essentially a Standard and for several years they were preferable to a Standard. They had an undiginified retirement.

JMP

Reaction score
I think it’s simply the nomenclature that changes peoples perspective. That said, used Traditional models are plentiful and affordable on the used market. They are a bargain if you’re looking for a used Les Paul.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Here in the UK before the Original Collection were released Trads were priced higher than the soon to be released new Standard. Once the lower priced Original Series Standard came out stores put the Trads on special to clear them out and that's when they took on this 'budget guitar' vibe.

It's a shame because they're essentially a Standard and for several years they were preferable to a Standard. They had an undiginified retirement.
Proving my point... whenever Standards and Trads are/were offered at the same time, the Standards were always priced higher. Hence the answer to the OP’s question....

But I agree, the Trad was essentially a Standard (or at least what a Standard should be) when the Standard was changed to a model with lots of historically non-Standard features (ie, push-pull pots, asym neck profile, compound radius, etc). And I also agree that it was an undignified retirement for the Trad (I’m a big fan of the Trad, BTW... I have a 2016 Trad).

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The royal screw up was Gibson naming the "08 Standard" a Standard. Nothing about it was standard, from top to bottom.

Had they introduced it with a different name, along side the Standard I believe there was a decent market for it. They were well built, had good weights, nice tops and the 50s Asymmetrical Neck I love. The Nu-Trick Jack was stupid - only could cause damage if your cord gets stepped on, and possibly fall to the floor. Very under rated LPs.

Latest Threads