Traditional worth the upgrade?

truckermde

Reaction score
that's not an upgrade, it's a style change. You'd be getting and paying for a different top, and some really nice binding. All nice, but you'd just want to be sure it's worth the xtra dosh to YOU. It obviously is to some, but not to others.

And that is a SWEET lookin' studio, my friend.

:)

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
It looks like you know you want a trad. My advice is to get the best guitar you can afford. The worst thing you can do is over extend yourself. We have probably all done it due to GAS but it's best to catch it before it happens.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
if you can swing it financially then go for it. There is nothing wrong with your studio though, they can be great guitars and people seem to love them. I prefer the traditional because I like the binding and rosewood fb.

Zenzeypher

Reaction score
that's not an upgrade, it's a style change. You'd be getting and paying for a different top, and some really nice binding. All nice, but you'd just want to be sure it's worth the xtra dosh to YOU. It obviously is to some, but not to others.

And that is a SWEET lookin' studio, my friend.

:)

+1

I've had both a studio and a traditional and it is deffo a style change. The guy who played my studio offered me up a straight swap and since I was craving a T burst i buckled.

I love both of them, but in all honesty it's in the looks.

...taken me a while to get used to the 50's neck tho.

smcgov

Reaction score
Just got the new Sam Ash flyer, Trad plus's for $1599...unreal deal. I LOVE mine, it is a great guitar.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Buy the trad. Six months from now when all there is are new trads for $2200
you will be saying- damm I could have got one for -----. when they were closing them out.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I
I have not regretted it. The Trad has that inexplicable something that makes it special (I got slagged here on MLP for stating it was "magic", but it was the only way I could describe it as irrational as it sounds).

Fit, finish, playability, attention to detail, tone-it has it all.

Except thats a facet of THAT particular guitar, not because specifically it's a traditional. That PARTICULAR guitar obviousally fits you to a T. Because Studios can be the same way. Thats the beauty, and problem with hand built guitars. Some, can just have all the "planets align". Some don't. And some who do, that alignment might ioonly show itself for a particular person and THEIR particular playing style.

AND, Traditionals can also be so-so as well, as can Studios or Standards.

The Archer

Reaction score
I would have thought '80's metal IS classic rock!

Classic rock is bad company, free and bands like that.

80's metal is the next stage.

Mind you the girl with the great breasts in American Reunion did call the Spice Girls classic rock.....

Burst Boy

Reaction score
"Except thats a facet of THAT particular guitar, not because specifically it's a traditional. That PARTICULAR guitar obviousally fits you to a T. Because Studios can be the same way. Thats the beauty, and problem with hand built guitars. Some, can just have all the "planets align". Some don't. And some who do, that alignment might ioonly show itself for a particular person and THEIR particular playing style.

AND, Traditionals can also be so-so as well, as can Studios or Standards."

Thoroughly agree.

RonH

Reaction score
I had a 60's Tribute and sold it for my Traditional. It was definitely worth it to me and I would do it again in a second. I love the Studios as well, but just prefer my Traditional. With the prices I have seen the Traditionals at lately, I would definitely say that if you are even thinking about it and have way to do it financially, then go for it now!

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Its not so much an upgrade as it is just a different guitar. Is it good for rock? Well no, it's great for any style, actually. Your studio is a real looker, btw.

I'm not saying trads aren't phenomenal, because they are, but just make sure you play it first because it's not going to really sound 1,000 x better or anything like that... IMO of course, and this is coming from a trad owner..

Cygnus

Banned
Reaction score
Keep the Studio. Every one of them I've played rocked. I've played a bunch of Trads, and have yet to find one that wasn't a tone turd. They also feel extremely cheap, sorta like an Epiphone.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Keep the Studio. Every one of them I've played rocked. I've played a bunch of Trads, and have yet to find one that wasn't a tone turd. They also feel extremely cheap, sorta like an Epiphone.

That wasn't a trad you were playing, it was your mom's panties....

Disappointing, I know...

Cygnus

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, they were your mother's panties. They stunk too. They left rings around her ankles. They must be there quite often.

griffbones

Reaction score
The grass is always greener on the other side! Yep, that old cliche' really holds true when it comes to guitars.

To be honest, and this will make many folks on this site laugh their butts off, but I own an Epi Les Paul that I purchased about 20 or 21 years ago. This Epi is still the best palying guitar I own. Imeadiately after purchasing her, I replaced the pickups for a set of Dimarzio PAF Pros, then played her to death, gigging every weekend for years. I eventually re-worked the finger board and gave her a re-fret, replaced the pitted old hardware with new hardware of good quality. I own an R8 and a G0, they are both super nice guitars that sound absolutely great, but neither one of them plays quite as smooth and buttery as that old Epi. Yes, I have given both of the Gibson's a good set-up and they do play very nice. Funny thing is, that old Epi was the first guitar I ever re-fretted.

All of my 9 guitars sound different and they each have qualities that I love, or I wouldn't own them. But this doesn't take away from the fact, I still love to play my old cheapo Epiphone!

Just because a Traditional looks cool with that gloss finish and possibly a flame top, it doesn't necessarily mean it will play any better.
Think long and hard before you give up a good guitar that you love!

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The grass is always greener on the other side! Yep, that old cliche' really holds true when it comes to guitars.

To be honest, and this will make many folks on this site laugh their butts off, but I own an Epi Les Paul that I purchased about 20 or 21 years ago. This Epi is still the best palying guitar I own. Imeadiately after purchasing her, I replaced the pickups for a set of Dimarzio PAF Pros, then played her to death, gigging every weekend for years. I eventually re-worked the finger board and gave her a re-fret, replaced the pitted old hardware with new hardware of good quality. I own an R8 and a G0, they are both super nice guitars that sound absolutely great, but neither one of them plays quite as smooth and buttery as that old Epi. Yes, I have given both of the Gibson's a good set-up and they do play very nice. Funny thing is, that old Epi was the first guitar I ever re-fretted.

All of my 9 guitars sound different and they each have qualities that I love, or I wouldn't own them. But this doesn't take away from the fact, I still love to play my old cheapo Epiphone!

Just because a Traditional looks cool with that gloss finish and possibly a flame top, it doesn't necessarily mean it will play any better.
Think long and hard before you give up a good guitar that you love!

K, I'm going to argue that the 2 Gibbys aren't nearly as intimately familiar to you as that Epi. Over 20 years, you know every nusnce of that Epi and it's become an extension of your hands. THAT is why it plays so buttery smooth. :D

cristi tanasescu

Reaction score
just don't sell it..firstly, your studio is absolutely wonderful. The pickups, wood, everything. I wouldn't buy traditional pickups or even a traditional after selling the studio, because IMO it is just a more affordable sort of reissue; don't wanna be an arsehole, but if you really wanna change something on your guitar, be original. don;t copy other models, especially the trad( sorry but i don't really love it, prefer my standard) hope i helped:):):dude:

wormburner

Reaction score
Keep it, and get the Trad as well.

I've decided I'm going to stop deciding between the gear I love just so the wife doesn't have a fit. I'm getting too old to play that game. She'll adjust. In some way or another.

Latest Threads