Traditional worth the upgrade?

crazytrain513

Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt about it that the Traditional is a helluva guitar. Heck, the worst thing I've heard about them is them not coming intonated perfectly out of the box. I swear, every other "NGD" thread is a Traditional so there's definitely something good about them.

I have a 2012 Studio I recently purchased.

20121025_232228.jpg

Burstbucker Pros, Baked Maple fretboard, chambered, but sounds wonderful. I'm a classic rock junkie (Randy Rhoads, Iron Maiden, Michael Schenker, Scorpions, etc.)

So my question to you is:

If I really liked the Traditional a lot, would it be worth the $600 upgrade to it from my Studio? I'm getting a bonus from work so it's the only reason I'm considering, but I don't want to drop that much cash and have it be only a marginal upgrade. I've played a few and I can't decide... Also, having both isn't an option since I'm a starving college student.

Will the stock PUPs suit my style? Will it hold its value any better? Will I regret selling my Studio? I know many of you will say only I can decide these things but I'm much too indecisive and I have to decide quickly before the 2012 blowouts are all gone so any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Reaction score
If you've played a few and can't decide, the answer is NO. When you've got a good Studio, it's really hard to beat. Don't move on until the GAS is keeping you up at night. Besides, you need the money for other things.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Do you prefer satin or gloss?

How important are looks to you?

That's what it really comes down to.
Me, I'd do it.
I prefer gloss,
and looks are definitely a factor.

silvergoat2k6

Reaction score
I'd just keep what you have, you have plenty of time to get another LP. Use your bonus to either pay off some bills, fix anything that might be wrong with your car, house, etc. There are plenty of people out there who would love to have the LP you have now but can't afford one.

HRC

Reaction score
You only live once. Buy the guitar(s) you want. :D

River

Reaction score
That's one of the best-looking Studios I've ever seen. Looks like a TV Yellow Special, but it's a full-blown Studio.

If it were mine, I'd never sell it.

framptone54

Reaction score
I own a trad, it's a great guitar, but the one you have pictured is sweet as well. When you bought it that's probably what you had your mind set on....if you really like it ...keep it, no need to upgrade.

PS....A trad would really look nice right next to it!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have three studios. So obviousally, I don't feel the need for a Traditional. The Studios give me everything I want. And, I got 3 for what Traditionals are currently going for (and not much more than the blowout prices for the Satin Mahogonys). But that was me.

As others have reccommended, if you haven't picked up a Traditional and just knew, then you proabably should keep the Studio.

NOW, if you have no immediate needs for this bonus (like others mentioned, bills, car repairs, etc), or just saving for a future emergency, then look at other aspects of your rig to upgrade. What amp are you running. It's as much a part of great tone as the guitar is. Could you upgrade there? Could you use some pedals?

foxtrot

Reaction score
Are you producing the kind of sound you want with your studio and amp setup?

If so, keep the Studio. It looks great. You can always swap out the pickups on it too if you want.

Another idea: what amp are you playing? Depending on that it might be worth putting funds towards an amp.

laterider

Reaction score
That's one of the best-looking Studios I've ever seen. Looks like a TV Yellow Special, but it's a full-blown Studio.

If it were mine, I'd never sell it.

I totally agree, that is one killer studio.

Unless there is something its not doing for you, I would hang on to that one for sure.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Agree with the others..I wouldnt change a thing, that Studio is awesome and Trads. are cheap enough that you can add one to the collection one day

Latearrival

Reaction score
The answer's obvious! - Try one and see whether it gives you something extra! (my guess is that it will!)

Burst Boy

Reaction score
I say go for it. I a have a Studio Faded with BB Pros and think it's the Bees Knees. I walked into a guitar shop, picked the first guitar off the rack that I saw and played. It was like...wow...bought it there and then, a 2012 Traditional in Honeyburst. I went to look at Strats with no intention of buying ANY guitar.

I have not regretted it. The Trad has that inexplicable something that makes it special (I got slagged here on MLP for stating it was "magic", but it was the only way I could describe it as irrational as it sounds).

Fit, finish, playability, attention to detail, tone-it has it all.

I didn't get rid of the Studio. I still love it but it doesn't get played quite as much as the Trad. I wouldn't get rid off yours either, it's very unique.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
The primary diference between my Studio, the DC faded, and the Trad was the feel of the neck. I was just much more comfortable with the bound neck on the Trad. All mine were P-90 equiped, and they all sound great.
But, the Trad has no lock on quality over any other Gibson, so generally speaking, you could be paying more and just buying more problems. Find a specific guitar and base your decision on that.

gtimach1

Reaction score
It is more about the look of the guitar in most cases. A fine Studio will hold its own against another Les Paul like a Traditional. That is a sharp looking Studio.

Some people will find a substantial difference between a Studio and Traditional, but most of us will see differences more than feel or hear them. Though the pickups (57 Classic and 57 Classic +) in the Traditional are excellent and will offer a change from your Studio. Then again, as mentioned, swapping out pickups is an option for your Studio if you want too.

Temptation will always be there. Sometimes, it is best to enjoy what you have. My Studio looks, sounds, and feels as good as my other more expensive Les Pauls.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you're going for the "look" you'll never be happy with your Studio IMO. Chasing down that pretty top will haunt you. If you're talking playability etc. your Studio should be right there unless you get an exceptional Traditional. By the way I agree with River that's a great looking Studio.

The Archer

Reaction score
Burstbucker Pros, Baked Maple fretboard, chambered, but sounds wonderful. I'm a classic rock junkie (Randy Rhoads, Iron Maiden, Michael Schenker, Scorpions, etc.)

That list of artists would make you an 80's metal junkie not a classic rock junkie.

Latest Threads