Traditional vs Standard 50s

theevilone

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an oportunity to trade my Traditional 2017 for a new 2019 Standard 50s Les Paul. I didn't have the chance to try the Standard yet. I upgraded mine Trad with Wizz PAFs, Faber bridge and tailpiece, Gotoh vintage tuners, plastics and other little things.

Why would I trade? I don't know, boredom? I'm perfectly happy with the Trad but there is something tempting about new series Standard.

Would you do it?

thxphotog

Reaction score
The new, pretty girl next door. Always very tempting.

If you're board, why not?

edselman

Reaction score
What would you hope to gain by the swap? The only real differences are the name and narrower neck binding. Maybe better quality of build?

integra evan

Reaction score
If I liked how the Traditional played and the neck on it, I wouldn't trade it

edselman

Reaction score
I’m considering the same trade. I get the itch for something new. I’ll probably do it. But I agreed with myself to wait and see if the urge passes.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Having owned both... I'd keep the Traditional. I especially love the 17s with the factory nylon nut & ABR. That being said, if you're anything like me, you'll do the trade. Curiosity killed the cat. Literally.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an oportunity to trade my Traditional 2017 for a new 2019 Standard 50s Les Paul. I didn't have the chance to try the Standard yet. I upgraded mine Trad with Wizz PAFs, Faber bridge and tailpiece, Gotoh vintage tuners, plastics and other little things.

Why would I trade? I don't know, boredom? I'm perfectly happy with the Trad but there is something tempting about new series Standard.

Would you do it?

Sounds like you are suffering from new-itis... problem is, what's new today will be old tomorrow, so changing your Trad for the 50s probably won't sooth that itch for long... My advice? Keep the Trad, save your money and then also buy the 50s used in a year or two when the shine wears off and prices return to something resembling "normal"....

I have a suspicion you will miss the Trad after it's gone....

theevilone

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

You were all spot on as these are also my thoughts. I'm curious if there will be major differences in sound, enough to make me keep or sell the Trad.
Guess I'll have to try the Standard and see if there'll be some kind of wow effect :)

Benniator

Reaction score
I wonder if resale value will be higher for the new Standards since they’re the new hot thing.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Having owned both... I'd keep the Traditional. I especially love the 17s with the factory nylon nut & ABR. That being said, if you're anything like me, you'll do the trade. Curiosity killed the cat. Literally.
Nylon nut on a production LP?. Never saw that, usually just on Custom Shop LP's.
Al

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see you already decided to keep it but I'll chime in anyways. Keep the Traditional if you like it. I've traded too many things away I liked just because I was bored, only to try and reacquire something similar. I'm happy to say that I've been successful in getting back what I previously had and my current collection is here to stay.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Nylon nut on a production LP?. Never saw that, usually just on Custom Shop LP's.
Al

Yes. 2017 only. Classics and Traditionals. No clue why they stopped. The new Original Collection should have them by all rights.

Last edited:

anorton

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Traditional, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ve bonded with it; we understand each other.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Considering you modded your Traditional to your liking I'd keep it if I were you. It's not like the Standard is a R9.
I modded mine with rewind pick ups and harness, Faber abrl studs and tailpiece and new plastics. No way would I trade it for a standard 50.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Keep the Trad, unless you can play the Standard first and know it will be a step up somehow.

Boredom > disappointment.

theevilone

Reaction score
So, I tried the Standard 50s today, Tobacco Sunburst. I really wanted to like it but it wasn't what I expected it would be.

First, build quality: Traditional beats it by a mile, I really mean that. There was some residue (glue?) around the neck joint and around the fretboard. Binding on the neck where it meets the body was all over, very unprecisely done. Nut looked poorly cut and you could feel it sticking from the upper side of the neck. Pots felt cheap. The whole guitar felt cheap to me, I don't know why, maybe because of these visual flaws that I noticed right away. It was a bit lighter than my Trad.

As sound goes there wasn't a fair comparison because Burstbuckers can't compete with Wizz. They are different flavours, someone likes Burstbuckers but to me Trad with Wizz pickups has that vintage bite that we all love. Especially neck pickup where my Trad shines being spanky and with much more attack than you get from a dull feeling Burstbucker. Playing unplugged my Trad was brighter, maybe because of the Faber bridge.

All in all I'm keeping my Trad and now I appreciate it even more. I really wanted to like the new Standard but with no avail. Looking at them in pictures or reading on forums you get the idea that they are something fabulous but in reality... not so much. Even if you take these little visual flaws aside, the Standard felt like much cheaper guitar than the Traditional.

And to mention, this wasn't in store testing, the guy came to my house with his Standard so the guitar was setup properly and played for a few months.

I still think the new Standards are great guitars and I believe people being happy with them but in this case maybe I'm spoiled because my Traditional turns out to be great guitar.

Thank you all, sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

Cheers!

Latest Threads