Traditional versus Standard

njm921

Reaction score
Hey-I am not an expert on LP's, but I do know that if you love playing the guitar you have to have at least one LP on the wall! I currently have 2, both are Traditionals-One is a gold top with coil split p/u's-I have been thinking about selling it and picking up a Standard-I don't use the coil split option at all and I wonder if having two of the same type of LP makes sense-Could someone tell me the main differences in the two LP's and recommend a particular year I should look for if I do pick up a Standard-I have small hands and I love players like Billy Gibbons, SRV, and the like-thanks!

Wailing

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Standard ... That was a year they changed the spec, 9 hole weight relief, one piece body and some fantastic tops... As many will say.. you get good and bad in all years, but I think 2002 was a more good than bad year...

jstarr823

Reaction score
I dig the asymmetrical neck profile on the pre original collection Standard. Could do without the controls, but it doesn't hurt to have options. Weight is all over the place, regardless of weight relief format. Not fond of the chambered models.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Why no periods? lol I'm just joshin.

Could someone tell me the main differences in the two LP's
Generally speaking, the Traditional has more traditional specs, while I've seen Standards come with both traditional and more modern specs.

...recommend a particular year I should look for if I do pick up a Standard-I have small hands and I love players like Billy Gibbons, SRV, and the like-thanks!
If you want a smaller neck, I would gravitate towards a Standard with the 60s slim taper neck. But be sure to double check the specs, because there are Standards that came with a 50s neck profile. There are plenty out there to choose from. Unfortunately, there's no way I'd remember each years individual neck profile. And even within some of the years, Gibson released some limited edition runs which had unique specs compared to the regular Standard production guitars of the same year. From personal experience, I've only had Standards from the 2002-2008 years and have been very happy with the ones I've played.

garybaldy

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Standard ... That was a year they changed the spec, 9 hole weight relief, one piece body and some fantastic tops... As many will say.. you get good and bad in all years, but I think 2002 was a more good than bad year...
As was 2004 for the Std. After that I believe they changed the wire in the BB Pros. The rest stayed the same until 2008 when the Std became the Trad.

amsalem

Reaction score
I own a 2011 goldtop Traditional, this is the "true" Standard for me (no splitting, etc.).

Owned a 2017 Standard which was great, but sold it as I bonded with the goldtop more.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
And the year and series can make a difference: 2019 "Original series" Standards have no weight relief, and no coil split, no PC board. The 50s series has the chunkier neck, and 60s is a 60s slim, but it is nowhere near as thin as the modern slim taper like what you get on a Flying-V or SG.
I'm very happy with my 60s series Standard.