Traditional Pro Models - 2010...

IRG

Reaction score
Hopefully they're pretty good? Traded a nice PRS CU24 I wasn't playing much for a nice 2010 Traditional Pro. I like that it has a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge, and a Classic '57 in the neck, with coil split feature on both.

It's a plaintop style which is exactly what I wanted. Nice trade, plus I got a fair amount of cash, which is enabling me to buy an Eastman T-386 Semi hollow (335 style) today as well.

PushedCrayon

Reaction score
That guitar looks sweet! I have one of the traditional pro iii models and I love mine. So hopefully you'll love yours as well! Happy new guitar day!

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Nice job! I think you killed it on that trade. My 2011 is a great guitar that has served me very well. Plaintop Honeyburst.

IRG

Reaction score
I just picked up this one from the trade, the Eastman T-386. Sitting right next to me in the office. I need to go home soon...

cmerch

Reaction score
I've owned 2 trad pro's. Sold the 1st ebony one I had to snag my 2nd, a goldtop. Great guitars imo. I actually like the satin finish on the neck and back, which is a cost cutting measure I assume.

IRG

Reaction score
I've owned 2 trad pro's. Sold the 1st ebony one I had to snag my 2nd, a goldtop. Great guitars imo. I actually like the satin finish on the neck and back, which is a cost cutting measure I assume.

Do these models (2010) have the satin finish on the back/neck too? I didn't see that mentioned on Gibson's website, but if so, I won't object, and might even prefer it. I have a '16 Tribute 50s goldtop with the satin finish, and I really like how the neck feels on this one.

IRG

Reaction score
Two more pics, hard to tell if the finish is gloss or satin by this pic:

One other cool shot of the front:

tzd

Reaction score
Do these models (2010) have the satin finish on the back/neck too? I didn't see that mentioned on Gibson's website, but if so, I won't object, and might even prefer it. I have a '16 Tribute 50s goldtop with the satin finish, and I really like how the neck feels on this one.
Yes they all have satin backs and necks. You will like it. The satin is smoother than what you find on the Studio-class satin/faded guitars.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two more pics, hard to tell if the finish is gloss or satin by this pic:
All Traditional Pros (original, II, and III) had gloss tops and satin sides and back/neck.

These are great guitars--especially the original versions. I've always said it's the best bang-for-your-buck working (gigging) man's Les Paul. Enjoy! :thumb:

IRG

Reaction score
Cool, looking forward to this. Will probably give it a little carnauba wax just because.

What are the differences between the Pro (original), II and III? Pickups, or other factors involved? is a 2010 an original or a II or III? Cheers.

niceguy

Reaction score
Right up my alley!

Here's my 2010 Traditional Pro. I bought it new for under $1400 :D

- Yes, the sides and back are satin. But I've played it so much that the satin has become glossy.

- One of the tuning keys got wonky. Gibson sent me a free replacement.

- I gave it a cosmetic overhaul.

- The neck pickup is on the dark side, but it flat-out sings with distortion for solos.

- The bridge pickup is actually wax-potted, according to Gibson when I called them. Only the aftermarket BB3's are unpotted. At least, that's what the rep told me.

- The coil splits are pretty worthless: these two pickups just aren't made for splitting. OTOH, I have another Les Paul with BB Pro's, and those sound freaking amazing when split.

- Fit and finish are top-notch!

IRG

Reaction score
Right up my alley!

Here's my 2010 Traditional Pro. I bought it new for under $1400 :D

- Yes, the sides and back are satin. But I've played it so much that the satin has become glossy.

- One of the tuning keys got wonky. Gibson sent me a free replacement.

- I gave it a cosmetic overhaul.

- The neck pickup is on the dark side, but it flat-out sings with distortion for solos.

- The bridge pickup is actually wax-potted, according to Gibson when I called them. Only the aftermarket BB3's are unpotted. At least, that's what the rep told me.

- The coil splits are pretty worthless: these two pickups just aren't made for splitting. OTOH, I have another Les Paul with BB Pro's, and those sound freaking amazing when split.

- Fit and finish are top-notch!

Very nice, I dig the look. I had an Epi Tribute with '57s in it, I thought the neck pickup split sounded pretty good in it actually. I generally never need/want the bridge pickup split, but sometimes the neck pickup with a fair amount of reverb and delay sounds pretty good split.

tzd

Reaction score
Cool, looking forward to this. Will probably give it a little carnauba wax just because.

What are the differences between the Pro (original), II and III? Pickups, or other factors involved? is a 2010 an original or a II or III? Cheers.
2010 is the original.

The best way to answer your question is to look at the full specs for each:

Gibson USA: Les Paul Traditional Pro Exclusive, Pictures and Tabs, Download Guitar Music and Buy Gibson Electric Guitars Online

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II '60s Neck Electric Guitar Merlot | Guitar Center

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Electric Guitar | Guitar Center

IRG

Reaction score
Helpful links, thanks. I thought the 2010 was the original, wasn't positive. Of the three, I'd probably want the first one the most, but all seem pretty cool.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
- The coil splits are pretty worthless: these two pickups just aren't made for splitting.
On their own, I would agree--they are too weak to be useful. However, if I'm playing on the bridge, I will set the neck volume on 3-4 and pull the neck tap and put the pickup selector in the middle. It gives the normal bridge sound just a little extra 'chime' to it. It makes it just different enough from the stock BB3 sound.

Latest Threads