Traditional Pro Cannibalization?

LiveSimply

Reaction score
I went and tried out the new 2012 Standard yesterday. I have to say that I was very impressed. I bought a Trad Pro a last year and have to admit that if this model had been out there, I probably would have thrown in the extra cash to get it. At the time, there were certain Trad Pro features which I liked over the Standard: 1) No Chambering, 2) Locking tunners 3) Additional tonal options from coil split.

None of these would have issues to consider with this new Standard.

If I were to bet, I would think one of GC's stronger selling models, the Trad Pro, is likely to take a big hit with this new Standard. I would also think that the Standard will cannibalize more from the Trad Pro than from the regular Traditional, which is now much more differentiated that the Standard (old tuners, no coil split, old weight relief, etc).

I really like the tone of my guitar and have no plans to sell it. However, I'm wondering if there is a way to get the same wiring that the new Standards have in my Trad Pro? I like the fact the Standard's coil split doesn't have a noticeable volume drop, for example.

Lipinhu

Reaction score
I went and tried out the new 2012 Standard yesterday. I have to say that I was very impressed. I bought a Trad Pro a last year and have to admit that if this model had been out there, I probably would have thrown in the extra cash to get it. At the time, there were certain Trad Pro features which I liked over the Standard: 1) No Chambering, 2) Locking tunners 3) Additional tonal options from coil split.

None of these would have issues to consider with this new Standard.

If I were to bet, I would think one of GC's stronger selling models, the Trad Pro, is likely to take a big hit with this new Standard. I would also think that the Standard will cannibalize more from the Trad Pro than from the regular Traditional, which is now much more differentiated that the Standard (old tuners, no coil split, old weight relief, etc).

I really like the tone of my guitar and have no plans to sell it. However, I'm wondering if there is a way to get the same wiring that the new Standards have in my Trad Pro? I like the fact the Standard's coil split doesn't have a noticeable volume drop, for example.

I hope they can be cannibalized too, so I can get better deals second hand.

To "answer" your last point, I don't think you can obtain that kind of "volume keeper" with a similar wiring. As far as I know, the Standard BB pros are wound in a very specific way, whereas the active bobbin when split have more wounds. Usually both bobbins have like 50+50, the BB pros on the standard are 70+30.

Whatever...

bdubbs

Reaction score
For me its still a neck thing. Thats why i got the GC exclusive trad plus w/coil tap.

Latest Threads