Trade three Traditionals and get another reissue?

Valkyrie

Reaction score
I have two reissues. A 2018 R8 and a 2012 R9. Both are stellar instruments and just gorgeous to boot. I have three Traditionals also. They are great guitars but I had to tinker with all of them to get them where I like. Meaning changing out pickups and new wiring harnesses and while they are great, they are not like my reissues.

I’m thinking of unloading them and getting a 2019 R9. The new stuff from Gibson is really nice and I have no need for three guitars that I very rarely play now.

Thoughts. Is this a good idea? Is it doable money-wise?

ARandall

Reaction score
I would simply sell them.

The R8 and R9 are the same guitar just with different cosmetics really (other than the minor tonal variations due to wood). Getting another R9 is not going to get you anything that you don't necessarily already have.

If you really want something else, I'd be looking to variety.......may p90's, maybe a semihollow.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can certainly understand your desire...

I'm with AR and Crotch.

Sell.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Can’t imagine a new R9 is going to feel/sound that much different to a 2012 R9 (Custombuckers not withstanding) or 2018 R8 (maybe slightly different neck profile) as the historics have been pretty darned good for a while now. Maybe get an R7 for a Goldtop and, you know, to have the “set”?

Personally, I agree with the “get something different” suggestion ... the new ‘64 SG with Vibrola looks pretty sweet or something with P90s would be a nice tonal variation.

frozenotter

Comradery, not Companionship Please
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Traditional and have to say they are ..nice - not spectacular not junk, by any means. To me they sit as they are priced - between a Studio and a Standard. The are not the quality of a Standard, old or new.

With that I'd certainly sell 2, at least, then look into a pre-owned (not "used") ...whatever. R8s are awesome so I'd never dish out for what I consider to be an extremely overrated R9. JMO.

2011 VOS R8 (pre-owned case queenie)

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
I sold 2 American strats and a Traditional so I could buy a mint 2017 R8. I understand you completely. But like Tolm stated above, I would go for a nice gold top and keep one traditional

CaptainT

Reaction score
Sell them and save the money for bad times;)

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I would think selling all three USAs will net $4,200 - $4,800. You might be better off just trading them in for a free new R9 depending on taxes where you live. Sales tax is brutal where I am, 13%. On the flip side, it might be hard finding a new 19 R9 for that much.

The are not the quality of a Standard, old or new.
How is quality worst on them? Traditionals are the old Standards but now they're solid.

frozenotter

Comradery, not Companionship Please
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
How is quality worst on them? Traditionals are the old Standards but now they're solid.
They are not crap by any means as I said. They are nice. I think their price to a Standard is a good indicator, since it would cost the same if they were ..the same. On mine, anyway, the back finish is more along the lines of what I would expect on a Tribute ...kinda, and the overall feel of it is a little less "expensive" feeling as even my '96 Standard. The neck just doesn't seem to be quite the same grade as my Standard either - there is something that seems "softer" and lighter in the wood and the acoustical tone seems to reflect it a bit.

Maybe it's just mine. ??

If you look at the neck and binding at the heel area it just looks a little off top-quality as well:

indeedido

Reaction score
Sell the three Traditionals, buy a new R9. That's what I'd do too.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I'm with rest here and say sell them. Just don't be unrealistic with your pricing and they should sell fairly quickly.

eeprete

Reaction score
I think we all get hung up on how much we have, versus, how much we do with what we have. You have a lot of redundancy, pare down if needed. Otherwise, they are just pieces to show-off (which there is nothing wrong with that either).

I always think back to this video of Joe B, simply showing whats capable with tone and volume knobs. Couple that with the controls on an amp, and imagine the possibilities.

Every riff, tune and tone we all try to recreate or emulate was all done on so much less equipment.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
If I had an R8 and an R9 I'd go after an R0...but that's just me.

ACEit

Reaction score
I'm on the same boat,
I've a 2016 R8, and two trads... a 2016 hp and a 2017 T...
both of the trads needed major upgrades to become from blah to pretty good.
pickups, hardware and wiring.
After the mods the 2017 "T" is killer when overdrived ( a real tele on steroids thing ) and the 2016 "HP" is awesome on cleans... but the R8 is better overall.
Now I want a goldtop p90 .... and I'm thinking on buying a new 2019 std '50 gt p90... or a used "mint" r6 .. in this case I've to sell at least one of the trads....

Last edited: