Trade my R9 for a Page...?

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've never played one, but from what I hear, the necks are REAL skinny. These photos were posted a while back on the LPF. I think the angle may make the R9 a little thicker, but nevertheless, its obvious that the Page neck is much thinner.

JimmyPageModel-NeckComparison1b.jpg

JimmyPageModel-NeckComparison1c.jpg

cryptozoo

Reaction score
Damn, you could put a string on that Classic neck and use it to hunt bear. I'd stick with your R9, it's killer-looking. Plus, if you really like it, you may never be able to find another one as good. Would he offer you a trial period, by any chance?

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Honestly guy's its not the size of a neck that makes a great guitar no matter what it is. It comes down to what feels comfortable in your hands. Way to much emphasis is being put on neck SIZE here. All guitars will feel differently in ones hands no matter what they are. You can take several 59s and they will all feel different. Me I dont care if its a 58-59-60, Page anything, its all just a personal feel. Should he keep his 59 just because it has a bigger neck? Dunno. Does he want resale value? I dunno. But we shouldnt say any guitar is inferior just because of neck size, thats just wrong. One buy's because they like the feel no matter what it is, if they are a player, not a collector. I like my Page, I also like my 60RI, and my SG, and all my other guitars. Flame, Plain, big neck small neck, whatever its all personal to the individual.

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those pics, Danelectro. Now I finally understand the neck shape.
ReverendJWblues, I hear what you say. I don't use tho be this careful with the neck size. But I recently have had two guitars with a neck profile I just couldn't stand. The '72 Deluxe and a '81 LP Heritage. It's not that they are thin, it's more the c shape that bothers me.

OK, time for some editing:
Thanks for you patience. I keep my R9, she's my pride and joy and I never though I'd own anything quite like her. I leave the matter of investment to the wall street guys.

fjminor

Reaction score
Hi GooCart,

I own JPP 245, those photos above I posted on the LPF awhile ago (thanks Danelectro for bringing these photos up), just to compare some neck sizes for the masses. It was very close in size (except for frets 1-5) to the 1960 Classic Les Paul Neck. The neck is thin, no doubt, but allows for very quick fretting, and has a real nice dark color to the fretboard. My JPP245 weighs in at 9.5lbs. When I hit an 'A' chord on this guitar it reverberates like no other.:dude:

I have attempted to sell this guitar twice due to the need to gather funds for other projects, but I dont have the heart to let this one go, as it is a great player. I just put a DMC II cover on the Bridge P/U, I like the way it looks....

You really need to play one first before you go through this deal, as the neck is a deal killer to some, too thin in their opinion. As you can see from the neck comparsion pics, the R9 Murphy has a huge neck, but I have no issues going from a big neck to a small neck.

IMO something does not seem right with this deal, especially for the seller of that Page to let it go for an R9 trade - hopefully I am wrong and it is the deal of the year for you. I would be suspect, and make an attempt to see this guitar in person.

Some obligatory pics
JPP245 is rightmost
Group5_7.jpg

DSC00018-1-1.jpg

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The seller have been trying to sell the Page for a long time, without success, so the guitar has this reputation of being hard to sell, right or wrong, I don't know. He tough that with my R9 he at least could get some money back.

Your Page looks great. The top is way more lively than the one I was offered.

Olli

Reaction score
I´m glad to hear you made up your mind about the deal and plan on keeping your R9. After you posted the pic of the Page it was clear for me that I would hav never done this deal. It looks like a plaintop - and you R9 has beautiful flame.
I like the color and the flame in fjminor´s Page but the one you posted isn´t for me.
Besides I didn´t know the neck is that skinny. Just like my old Slim Taper Classic it would give me cramps after 15 mins. I tried to love the neck and I liked the guitar but I just couldn´t play it right - gave me physical pain.

You also would have to change the bridge PUP to a double cram for the realistic page look. I don´t know what Gibson thought when they designed this rubbish.
Probably cause Dimrazio has a copyright on double creams without covers.

cryptozoo

Reaction score
I think neck size is super-important... can make the difference between a guitar that's enjoyable and one that's just downright uncomfortable to play. SGs, R0s, classics... all small necks.

Latest Threads