Trade for a 2012 R8?

Neemo

Reaction score
I have a 2013 lp std, 2015 fender usa std and a 2018 sg jr...was thinking of swapping all for a 2012 R8...anything i should be looking for? Or am i crazy? I dont play much right now so its kind of an upward trade combo with a downsize the collection

Any advice is appreciated

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok..... this is my opinion...... Keep the Strat and trade the SGjr and Standard for the '12 R8...... the 2012 Historics have the bi-layered fretboard..... of course some of the 2012s did not, especially the early ones. I am guessing you have already found this R8 and had made a deal for a trade........... I wouldn't trade anything over the value of $2500 if this is in the USA.

Just my opinion.

monty john

Reaction score
yes laminated fretboard...fkn gibson...stay away...my buddy refretted (paid job) a 2012 and the fingboard bascially fell apart....gibson should be sued over false adverftising on the 2012 especially for the price point

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I would give $1800 for a '12 R8.

Maybe if I tried it, and it was amazing sounding and played perfect i might go to $2k.

Neemo

Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys.. How can I tell if its early or late 2012 production?im in canada...prices are dumb here on CS...a new r8 is $6k...a new std is $3k

Neemo

Reaction score
Would a 2012 have a 5 digit serial or only 4?

This one has 8 then a space then 4 digits starting with a 2

Thundermtn

Reaction score
That sounds correct for a '12. It's the pariah year for CS stuff.

If prices are that stupid up there you'd save a grand at least just flying into Chicago and picking up a killer new CS you hand picked from CME.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would a 2012 have a 5 digit serial or only 4?

This one has 8 then a space then 4 digits starting with a 2
The last 3 numbers are the production number. If it is a low number like under 100.... it may be a one piece board. The only sure way to know is to remove the nut. The two layers can be easily seen.

Neemo

Reaction score
Yea...its actually less than the 50th piece in the production run

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea...its actually less than the 50th piece in the production run
Then it's more than likely a single piece fretboard. If the inlays are acrylic and swirly it's a one piece fretboard as later the switch to nitro-celluloid inlays (which are more angled and blocky than swirly) was combined with the bi-layered rosewood that year.

Last edited:

simon connor

Reaction score
I have a 2012 R9, and it definitely has a one piece board. I had it verified by a luthier. It was made very late in the production run as far as I can tell: #1569. It is an outstanding guitar in every way - tone, sustain, playability, even the flame top. I play my R0 more these days because I like the slightly thinner neck, but my wife always says "You should play the other one (pointing to the R9) because it is prettier...)

Neemo

Reaction score
So anything i should look for to spot if its a fake or legit? As far as i can see from pics it looks real...

simon connor

Reaction score
When I bought mine used in 2015 I called Gibson customer service. I gave them the serial number and they described the guitar to me in detail. I can't remember whether I asked about the two piece board thing - I think not, because I didn't know about it.

Neemo

Reaction score
Cheers...i emailed gibson this morning and they asked for pics...still waiting on a reply

I verified that a guitar with that serial number was bought here in the city where i live...

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think, at this price point/trade value, it'd be okay to get to the point of shaking hands on the deal with the understanding that it's contingent upon checking the fretboard. That nut should come off with a simple (light-but-direct) tap with a rubber mallet or hammer and block of wood. Would recommend scoring the finish with a razor along the perimeter of the nut so it doesn't chip it out when you loosen it.

If it's that important to you and the seller is unsure and unwilling to do it, then better off walking away (on both sides of the deal).

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
yes laminated fretboard...fkn gibson...stay away...my buddy refretted (paid job) a 2012 and the fingboard bascially fell apart....gibson should be sued over false adverftising on the 2012 especially for the price point
I have not heard of that issue before. That would really suck.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As far as the 3-for-1 deal, I say go for it - if you think you'll play the new one more. I swapped two guitars with a fellow forum member here for an R9 and in hindsight I don't regret it one bit. Even if I came out a bit behind value-wise, it kept me from having to explain another big 'ol bank account withdrawal to my wife - and you can't put a price on that.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
What false advertising? They were pretty upfront with that. Would you rather they just shut the shop down and layoff everyone?

Latest Threads