Trad Pro II & Kluson tuners

jc2000

Reaction score
I just picked them up last night, plan on putting them on this weekend.

nitrodave08

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodave08
I wonder if the single screw would be enough. Drilling the hole would not be hard to do. I would do it just for looks. I don't change strings every day so the quick change in not a factor.

That's a great question.. I wonder if anyone here has ever done that?

I ordered the Gibson Vintage Nickel Machine Heads from sweetwater, should be here weds or thurs, I let ya know

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodave08
I wonder if the single screw would be enough. Drilling the hole would not be hard to do. I would do it just for looks. I don't change strings every day so the quick change in not a factor.

I ordered the Gibson Vintage Nickel Machine Heads from sweetwater, should be here weds or thurs, I let ya know

You may find the Gibson brand are not a good fit. Grovers are 25/64" or 10mm I think and IIRC gibson brand are smaller (if you got the press in bushing type) and so may be loose in the holes on the headstock which would be a problem
I guess you'll have to see when they arrive
The Tonepros/kluson KB3 are a drop in fit with no modification needed and line up with existing screw hole

If you choose not to use a second screw the KB3 will still work but I prefer the extra stability of two screws for this design of machine head

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
The screws on the back keep the tuner body from rotating

I doubt that using one screw on the back rather than two would make a difference

Grover uses just one small screw, so the Kluson type can too, if you don't want to drill the second.

I did that... The only reason I added the second hole was because after a while I decided I did not miss the Grovers, and would not be going back.

Worked fine. I just added the second because the little empty hole on the back bugged me.

But you should be fine. The Grover hole lines up perfect with the bottom hole of the Kluson style.

QuarterTone

Reaction score
The other problem with the locking Grovers is they are heavy. You'll probably have a better balanced guitar if you swap them out for regular Klusons. That said I'm leaving the Grovers on my Traditional - the gears have a nice feel and I like the way the locks feel, even though the threads on my low E lock are stripping a bit already.

jc2000

Reaction score
OK, here it is. It wasn't too bad, but I suggest you get your pilot hole the right size for the top screw or you will strip the screw head trying to get it in (yes I did)! fortunately I was able to back the screw out and find a new one at my local hardware store. The old Grover screws do not fit through the new tuners. I love the tonepros cant believe I waited so long to do this.

Attachments

• 3-8-14 001.jpg
    3-8-14 001.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 3-8-14 005.jpg
    3-8-14 005.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 82

nitrodave08

Reaction score
Looks good!, I just got my Gibson vintage tuners in and gets the pics uploaded.

nitrodave08

Reaction score
The screws on the back keep the tuner body from rotating

I doubt that using one screw on the back rather than two would make a difference

Grover uses just one small screw, so the Kluson type can too, if you don't want to drill the second.

I did that... The only reason I added the second hole was because after a while I decided I did not miss the Grovers, and would not be going back.

Worked fine. I just added the second because the little empty hole on the back bugged me.

But you should be fine. The Grover hole lines up perfect with the bottom hole of the Kluson style.

I will be doing the same thing, with the waiting.

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
OK, here it is. It wasn't too bad, but I suggest you get your pilot hole the right size for the top screw or you will strip the screw head trying to get it in (yes I did)! fortunately I was able to back the screw out and find a new one at my local hardware store. The old Grover screws do not fit through the new tuners. I love the tonepros cant believe I waited so long to do this.

Congrats!
Looks great :thumb:

you should remeber to wax screws when going into the wood. It helps!
for some reason those chrome tulip tuners just didn't look right to me and I like that the headstock on mine is about 3oz lighter ater the change

nitrodave08

Reaction score
You may find the Gibson brand are not a good fit. Grovers are 25/64" or 10mm I think and IIRC gibson brand are smaller (if you got the press in bushing type) and so may be loose in the holes on the headstock which would be a problem
I guess you'll have to see when they arrive
The Tonepros/kluson KB3 are a drop in fit with no modification needed and line up with existing screw hole

If you choose not to use a second screw the KB3 will still work but I prefer the extra stability of two screws for this design of machine head

I have the TP2 as JC2000 does, having just installing the Gibson vintages, they are a perfect fit, even the front screw downs are interchangeable.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
I will be doing the same thing, with the waiting.

Good.

It's a safe way to make sure it's the right set of tuners for you, without leaving any evidence should you decide to go back to grovers

I don't think you will tho.

Klusons are awesome. Tonepros only made them better.

LP Bob

Reaction score
I can't see why someone would want to replace locking Grovers on a new Trad Pro II, I have a Trad Pro and the locking Grovers are great, no need to butcher a great guitar or take a chance to scratch the finish when the locking tuners on it already are GREAT.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
I can't see why someone would want to replace locking Grovers on a new Trad Pro II, I have a Trad Pro and the locking Grovers are great, no need to butcher a great guitar or take a chance to scratch the finish when the locking tuners on it already are GREAT.

Different strokes for different folks, buddy.

nitrodave08

Reaction score

There is no butchering to be had, they fit perfectly. It's like saying why do we put in different pickups or change the wiring. Because we can.

jc2000

Reaction score
I really only did it for the looks of the guitar. To me a LP needs Kluson's. But I have to admit, the Tonepro's fell amazing when tuning. The ratio is different from the Grover's and they dial in really nice.

jgab

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but yesterday I changed over the Grover silver locking tulps to the Tonepros Kluson cream colored plastic tulips on my traditional pro 2. I love the new look.

I was a little nervous drilling the new hole on each tuner, but I wrapped tape on my drill bit at the depth I wanted to drill so I made sure I didn't go any further. I would have died if I drilled through my headstock.

The Tonepros feel awesome so far and they hold tune well.

jc2000

Reaction score
You'll love them. I's the best decision I ever made for a guitar. :thumb:

Latest Threads