Toyroom Effects - Pin-Up Girl Overdrive Review

battweek

Reaction score
Toyroom Effects

Pin-Up Girl Overdrive

So I was looking for an overdrive pedal that could cover a range of vintage tones while still having enough gain when required. I have a TS-9 which to be honest, just doesn’t cut it. So I contacted Timmy Green from Toyroom Effects and we went over what he could offer.

The description sent by Tim after it was built, amped my excitement up even more.

Quote:

“Also things to know about the pedal:

-The gain knob is backwards. This is a feature I use to distinguish custom made pedals to the ones I sell on eBay.
-The far left setting on the tone knob will oscillate/yell. This is because i've hot-rodded the pedal as much as possible. Basically, just don't go too far left on the tone (you won't need to anyway).

Other than that, she screams.”

Not a week later I got this baby in the mail with my own custom graphics. I plugged it into my Blackstar and after being dazzled from the blue light saber LED, the pedal blew me away.

IMG_03522.jpg

Some things to note:

It’s tubescreamer based
Uses Dale 1% resistors, Phillips/Wima capacitors,
Completely Hand wired and True Bypass

Now the Review...

First off, this thing is so clear and crisp. Absolutely no mud at all. The tone knob is just that, wonderful f&*king tone. Goes from screaming leads to a fat and round vintage sound with a turn of a knob. It really pulls off great old school Rush, Eagles and Skynyrd tones as well as some modern sounds like RHCP and Black Keys-eske tones just to name a few.

I’ve had it for almost a week now and my amps overdrive channel has literally been untouched. That’s because it really sounds nothing like a pedal. More like an amp in a box.

The harmonics on this thing are crazy and distortion like when you want it to be. Way better than what any run of the mill tubescreamers have offered in the past. However when you want it to be super subtle and transparent it can do that as well which is great for blues licks.

My favourite setting is probably with both the tone and gain knobs at around 10-11 o’clock but once in a while I like to push both to the left and just let it yell.

For something that is custom painted, hand wired and hand constructed, I really don’t know how he charges so little. I’m really happy with this little box of joy (that’s what she said) and I do not see myself ever replacing it.

Bat Tweek

I think I’ve gone a little nuttier, as you will see in the following video. It was filmed entirely with my iPhone, since my HD cam decided to shit its pants. Somehow making funny faces helps me play in front of the camera. Enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWUYgQd_hA]Toyroom Effects Pin-Up Girl Overdrive - YouTube[/ame]

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Excellent review! Your great playing clearly showed how much you enjoy playing with this pedal, which is all that matters.

I think that with the Hotel California solo is where you got Austin's full attention... :naughty:

:thumb:

battweek

Reaction score
Very cool! And nice demo too! It sounds great. I like the range of it's sounds.

Yep it really does offer a huge range of tones. Still finding new ones as we speak.

I think that with the Hotel California solo is where you got Austin's full attention... :naughty:

:thumb:

Its a fun solo but damn hard to play properly. For me at least. :slash:

One thing I just realised. My comic book themed posters in the background really suit the Toyroom theme lol.

GrouchyDog

Reaction score
Wow, that's a great-sounding pedal!

And the rock-n-roll faces do indeed help the tone! :)

Latest Threads