Town wants family to get rid of pet bunny

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Town wants family to get rid of pet bunny | WTNH.com Connecticut

NORTH HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- A North Haven family is asking for help after the town told them they have to get rid of their daughter's pet rabbit.

The family says the town sent them a letter after an inspection was done at their house.

They were told that an old ordinance says people in town aren't allowed to have rabbits on their property if they're not a certain size.

Seven-year-old Kayden Lidsky considers her pet bunny Sandy her best friend.

"She lays with me in bed sometimes," Kayden said.

It's one big bunny, a Giant Flemish weighing over 20 pounds. However, it's not the size of the rabbit, rather the size of the family's property that has the town of North Haven saying the rabbit must be removed from the Susan Lane home.

"I don't want the bunny to go," said Kayden.

A cease and desist order was issued last month informing the family zoning laws do not allow livestock nor rabbits on lots under two acres. And before that a citation was issued for violating the blight ordinance, not only because of an unfinished over hang, but also because of the bunny cage.

The family is reaching out to News 8 because Sandy has been a pet for three years.

"A bunny is not a violent animal," said Joshua Lidsky, "a bunny is not a violent dog or a violent cat or a rabid animal, it's a caged creature that all it does is give love to our family."

Now the family will keep Sandy as they appeal the decision, but if they lose at that level the town attorney tells News 8 it could trigger a Superior Court action enforcing removal of the animal.

"I would love to keep the bunny," said Joshua. "I would love to keep my family happy and the town just let us live our life and pay our taxes."

Dad has tried to explain the zoning law to Kayden, but the third grader just wants officials to let her keep her furry friend.

"I would say don't make me give my bunny away because she is my best friend," Kayden said.

SAVE BUNNY FOO FOO!!!! :mad:

acstorfer

Reaction score
Jheez, maybe the bunny from Monty Python Holy Grail might be an issue, but jheez. Doesn't local government have better things to do?

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dafuq?

What possible difference does a single rabbit in a cage make to the town of North Haven? Has there been an outbreak of tularemia or something?

--R

Blues4U

Reaction score
The more important question should be "why was their home being inspected by any government entity?".

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some people are allowed to have pet chimps, others aren't allowed to have a pet rabbit?

Dumb.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Some people are allowed to have pet chimps, others aren't allowed to have a pet rabbit?

Dumb.

+1... It's just a bunny and a cute one at that. I saw it on CNN and the little girl loved it so much. It was big but get real. But this is CT. :mad:

Blues4U

Reaction score
My daughter has 3 ,4H rabbits. They make great pets. They don't make noise, are fairly clean, they don't eat much and they are really responsive to being handled and loved.

Any town, city, public employee or neighbor that has a problem with a single rabbit, even a giant one, is an asshole.

A herd of llamas may be a different story. The rabbits are far better pets than my cat from hell, that I can assure you.

crawlingkingsnake

Reaction score
So sad for the little girl. The fvckin gubment on any level has to try and make an example of someone. I could see if it were a huge dog that barks non stop, or jumps the fence to attack people. But give me a break its a bunny that a little girl loves to bits. Its a shame what this world is coming to. Those people that want to take it away must not remember what its like to be a child that loves an animal to no end.
Talk about people that abuse their authority. Fvckin azzholes..

fatbird

Reaction score
It's one friggin bunny and a pet at that, does this town not have bigger issues to deal with, if that's their biggest problem I want to live there.

Blues4U

Reaction score
It's one friggin bunny and a pet at that, does this town not have bigger issues to deal with, if that's their biggest problem I want to live there.

Or do you Mr "Fat Bird".

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
I for one am tired of bunnies getting a pass on their cutesy floppsy schtick. Maybe this one has an agenda. What has the bunny contributed to this town besides furthering yet another fluffy stereotype?

DRF

Reaction score
Wasn't there a town that was over run by rabbits,a couple escape or are abandoned and they become a real nuisance. "Breeding like rabbits". Allegedly there are more "pet" lions in 'Merica than in the continent of Africa.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I for one am tired of bunnies getting a pass on their cutesy floppsy schtick. Maybe this one has an agenda. What has the bunny contributed to this town besides furthering yet another fluffy stereotype?

Yup... world domination... :D

Latest Threads