Torrefied Granadillo Looks Pretty Good!

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Only for the more expensive models, the cheaper ones get Pau Ferro.

rikko

Reaction score
All dead trees...

A tree by any other name would smell as dead....

michaelinokc

Reaction score
Grenadillo is a nice FB wood, I really like it on my 2013 Studio. Smooth with tight grain, I don't mind it at all. It has considerably darkened from use too.
I had a Nighthawk with a granadillo fretboard and had absolutely no complaints about it. Hey, at least it's wood. :)

rikko

Reaction score
All dead trees...

A tree by any other name would smell as dead....
It's all about what FEELS and looks good to YOU.

(And in rikko's case,
it just so happens that BBQ maple SMEELS GOOD TOO!!!)

rogue3

Reaction score
China has no initiative to follow the CITIES agreement so they buy whatever they want. In fact, they basically told the West to fuck off and not dictate how they can contribute to conserving resources. China and South Asia eats rosewood like popcorn.
97% of the worlds rosewood supply is consumed by china...for lucky furniture for newlyweds.Beds,Bureaus,....dining room sets.It must be important to give such long life and happiness for the new couple.Powerful voodoo.

With a long history (1,000 + years)of intricately carved Rosewood pieces and furniture, it isn't going to stop anytime soon, because of its traditional magic.Until its all gone.

One can only surmise in this environment,its relatively easy for any chinese instrument maker to get a whack of hand picked rosewood from the local market,since its so well supplied for furniture making.

The minute china turns off the tap,makes it illegal,with teeth, to import Rosewood,the demand will drop and the remaining old growth deep in the Thai Rainforest will be saved.Its a firefight there with automatic weapons, for Thai rangers stalking illegal rosewood poaching that supplies the chinese market.They are well armed, its gold to them.The worlds most valuable($) tree.
Will china pony-up and help save a dwindling species?

Last edited:

JM2112

Reaction score
I remember when Gibson put out the 2nd version of the Classic Custom using torrefied maple. The pics they used made the fret board look like it had natural maple. The guitars in the store were a medium brown color. I bought one in Nov. 2011 and with use and periodic conditioning with string changing the board is now a very dark brown. Just don't saturate your fret board with oil, unless you want loose frets. For those who want a black fret board, that ain't going to happen. Dark brown, yes, black, no.

I love the torrefied maple, it's a great fret board to play on. Here' a pic I just took of the 2011 LP Classic Custom with torrefied maple next to my SG Standard with rosewood.

Attachments

Latest Threads