Tophat/Bell Knob options

Stephmon

Reaction score
Has anyone come across this style knob, in black and silver (instead of gold)? I am aware of the ones with the silver "Volume" "Tone" plates, but am looking for this style in particular.

judson

Reaction score
:wow:

wow never saw those before...pretty cool looking really

where did they come from or what were they used on? i like the gold and black as is

better yet where can i buy some ??????

giphymoney.gif

Last edited:

Stephmon

Reaction score
I found the Gold ones on Amazon "Dopro 4pcs Metric Custom Bell Knobs Top Hat Knob Black w/Gold Custom for Epiphone Les Paul/Import Guitar Bass w/Coarse 5.8mm Split Pots" there is also a speed knob version "OULII Speed Control Knob with White Word for Electric Guitar 4pcs".
If you Google "LP Knob Gold Black", there are a handful of sources.

Stephmon

Reaction score
PRS does a clear with black, that would probably fit close enough, if it came in a tophat, instead of lampshade...

moreles

Reaction score
You can get clear tophats and do your own "sprayed inside" color scheme.

Stephmon

Reaction score
You can get clear tophats and do your own "sprayed inside" color scheme.
I was thinking about that. What is the best way to ensure the numbers are crisp and white, against the black?

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Assuming the numbers are molded into the plastic you'd have to ink-fill them with white enamel or something similar before painting the rest of the inner surfaces.

If you buy clear knobs that already have white numbering then you don't have to do anything.

Stephmon

Reaction score
Two sets (just in case I don't nail it on the first try), on the way. Thanks Edmund!

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Now just get yourself some hobby store acrylic black and acrylic silver and some micro brushes. Hardest part will be taping off a clean edge inside the bell of the knob for the black/silver transition line. Extras to practice on is a smart move.

Stephmon

Reaction score
So, I've been working out an approach to custom-painting these and it's fussy, but not terribly difficult.
First, I tape around the inside, with the sticky side of the tape facing out. Then, I squeeze a tube in, that just fits that inner diameter (with a bit of tape wrapped around, to give just a bit more at the edge, where it really counts).

Next, I tape around the outermost edge of the numbering, to protect the 'outside' of the knob.

The numbers come pre-painted, so it is just a matter of spraying over them with black.

Once the black is sprayed, I can remove the inner masking, the second color can go right over it without issue.

But, now that I've browsed the site mentioned above, thanks to ace924, I will have to work out an additional masking scheme, to get this 'bullseye' going..
1595379241414.png

Stephmon

Reaction score
A few notes on the process...
  • Use flat Enamel paints, the outer plastic surface will provide the shine and the pigment will 'swim' in the clear of a glossy paint and leave gaps in coverage. Lacquer will attack the plastic and then 'shrink' leaving semi-opaque rings and other undesirable issues.
  • Find a quality supplier for the clear knobs. This first batch had obnoxious injection molding marks, along the outer lip, and some had irregularities that messed up the numbers. All needed to be smoothed with sand paper, some had irreparable issues.
  • Go with light misting coats. If you flood the knob, it will leave bubbles. Also, if you mist the color in, and then mist in a little black, especially around the outer 'hat', it gives a really nice gradient effect (If I can nail that aspect, I will be really pleased).
  • Don't rush to get the masking off. If you get any paint at all on the clear, it won't clean up as well as you would hope.
I imagine JAT Custom has either obtained, or had pre-cut sticker made, for easier masking. Or, I could imagine maybe good fitting plugs and dowels. At any rate, I can say doing these in volume... he's earning his $25/set of 4.

Last edited:

Latest Threads