Top Wrapping

LedHead

Reaction score
I was watching some videos the other day and noticed that joe bonamassa was top wrapping his les pauls, and i also saw that jimmy page did it at royal albert hall in 1970. i was just restringing my les paul today and pondered top wrapping it, i decided against it because i read some forums and people were saying really contradictory things about it. some people were saying that it decreased sustain, some said it increased.some people said it made strings easier to bend, some said it made them harder to bend. before i top wrap my les paul id really like to get some more information about top wrapping

jfwund

Reaction score
Don't top wrap. You'll go blind. Plus you'll grow hair on your bridge.

K

Kirrt

It only cost you a pack of strings and 10 minutes to top wrap your guitar, do you even need to ask?

LedHead

Reaction score
Well I'd like to know what it does cuz I don't restring often so if I top wrap it's gonna b top wrapped for a while, plus I'm just curious about it

caljoe

Reaction score
I did it to mine and I didnt really notice anything, maybe the strings FEEL alittle slinkier cause the break angle is less at the bridge and IMHO you might have to tune more at first because of the way it wraps around the tail piece it takes the strings longer to strech right there because of the bends.
Try it your self and see how you like it...

LedHead

Reaction score
what does it do to the sustain of the guitar, because i have heard it changes it, and having a les paul is useless if it doesnt have that legendary les paul sustain

strat

Reaction score
Does it make your bridge look nasty after awhilethough? wear the finish off?

Wraptail

Reaction score
It depends...

What's the angle of the strings behind the bridge?

What's the neck angle? Is your stop tail down low or up high?

How big are your frets?

How tall is the nut?

How high is your action?

All these things affect tone and feel... as well affect the way top wrapping will work.

There's no answer to your question IMO unless you've got the guitar in your hands and size those things up.... or just do it. Everyone should be well versed enough in changing strings so that this is no biggie to try.

I had one guitar where top wrapping sounded like $hit. I cut those strings off and went back in the same day. On another guitar the exact opposite - I love it... both Les Pauls.

As others have said - just do it.

mdubya

Reaction score
Some like it, some don't.

There is only one way to find out.

I like it. The strings feel much slinkier and I like that. I don't notice any other difference. 3 guitars top wrapped.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Well I'd like to know what it does cuz I don't restring often so if I top wrap it's gonna b top wrapped for a while, plus I'm just curious about it

what does it do to the sustain of the guitar, because i have heard it changes it, and having a les paul is useless if it doesnt have that legendary les paul sustain

No one here can answer your question. It depends on the guitar and the player's feel and sensitivity.

If you can't change strings very often and you don't like it, you could face the danger of not playing it anymore. :cool:

That legendary Les Paul sustain is found to be most prevalent with fresh strings.

Man up and change some strings. :D Old strings get dirty, they lose their ring and sustain. Old strings wear your frets faster. Old strings wear your fingers out faster. Try fresh strings on four LPs monthly. Its worth it. :cool:
You can pick up EBs or GHS for $3.79 at Best Buy.

yeti

Reaction score
The biggest downside of topwrapping is that if you are seen in public using this "technique" you're immediately outed as an Internet Guitar Forum junkie, which might negatively affect your Rock'n'Roll credentials.:laugh2:

River

Reaction score
The biggest downside of topwrapping is that if you are seen in public using this "technique" you're immediately outed as an Internet Guitar Forum junkie, which might negatively affect your Rock'n'Roll credentials.:laugh2:
apocalypse-now-retro-film.jpg

jfwund

Reaction score
Don't clip the strings after they're on the winder. Play it a little bit. If you don't like the top-wrapping, take the strings off (that's why you didn't clip them!) and string it normally.

My guess is that you won't notice a drastic difference.

Latest Threads