Top wrapping the stop bar on an Epi LP Custom

frater106

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I saw a YouTuber top-wrapping the stop bar on his Les Paul, and it looked pretty cool. I know some guitars are made for that, but I was wondering if there was any reason not to do it on my Epi Les Paul Custom. Since it’s behind the bridge, I don’t see it really affecting the tone or intonation, but I wanted to double check with the pros. What do you think?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Depends on your reason for doing it?

Most people do it to be able to deck the tailpoece, without putting more downward pressure on the bridge. I tried it with my Gibson, and really didn't notice that much of a difference?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I find it more intriguing that you have been a member here for 11 years and never heard of top-wrapping. You can do it on most Gibson models, but you will need to find an up-to-date compatibility list before trying this on any Epiphone models. It could cause irreparable damage if not on the list. Good luck.

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it more intriguing that you have been a member here for 11 years and never heard of top-wrapping. You can do it on most Gibson models, but you will need to find an up-to-date compatibility list before trying this on any Epiphone models. It could cause irreparable damage if not on the list. Good luck.
Um, Epis are built the same way mechanically. Individual bridge or stop tail height will determine the implementaion. Try it and see. Damage? Maybe string marks on the stop tail...

Reactions: Who

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a custom, I might could see losing a little gold on the top. I regularly do it on others.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Its been tested and shown that top wrapped strings take more force to bend to the same pitch compared to not top wrapping. It's not a substantial difference but it does take more, which is opposite of what everyone thinks they feel. Someone did the test on YouTube but I forget who it was. And I don't recall the exact difference but I want to say it was grams to 1 or 2 ounces of difference. It definitely wasn't a difference of lbs.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Its been tested and shown that top wrapped strings take more force to bend to the same pitch compared to not top wrapping. It's not a substantial difference but it does take more, which is opposite of what everyone thinks they feel. Someone did the test on YouTube but I forget who it was. And I don't recall the exact difference but I want to say it was grams to 1 or 2 ounces of difference. It definitely wasn't a difference of lbs.

Dylan Talks Tone did the "scientific" test.

Bit there are two factors -- how hard you have to push sideways, and how far you have to push sideways for a given amount of pitch change.

He only measured how hard you have to push.

When you bend a string, you run into the other strings. The farther you have to push the string you're bending, the farther you have to push the others.

And there's a difference in mechanical leverage of your fingers, thumb, and wrist the farther you have to push a string.

So pushing harder for a shorter distance actually can feel "slinkier" than pushing less hard for a longer distance.

Things like hand strength, how you grip the neck while bending, fret height, action height, the shape and fleshiness of your fingertips all contribute to how you perceive the ease/difficulty of bending.

So the people who find top-wrapping slinkier aren't wrong, or fooling themselves, or doing it just for fashion. It really does feel better for some people.

But it's not universal. The people who prefer normal stringing or don't care one way or the other aren't wrong either.

AJK1

Reaction score
Probably why Gibbons and Page do it as they use super light strings and want more tension ?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Um, Epis are built the same way mechanically. Individual bridge or stop tail height will determine the implementaion. Try it and see. Damage? Maybe string marks on the stop tail...
I was told by my guitar tech at GC to always check the EPI top-wrap compatibility list before attempting it. I always do what he says. They usually know best.

AJK1

Reaction score
I know a few guitar luthiers as I work in the music industry and when I mention top wrapping they say ‘have you been on the forums again’ and laugh

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's helpful, other times it's not needed, other times it can be detrimental.
You need a break angle over the saddles. Without enough, it can cause sitar and sustain issues.
You also don't want the strings hitting the back edge of the bridge... and in addition, excessive break angle increases stress on the bridge, eventually causing it to bow downward.
Generally, adequate compensation can be accomplished by raising the tailpiece... it doesn't HAVE to be clamped down tight to the body.
Physics is physics and you've got ~120 pounds of tension on the studs... cranking them down isn't going to improve sustain if you then alter the angle of the tension by top wrapping.

Can be top-wrapped

JBBRidge.jpg

Really should be top-wrapped

SG-Bridge.jpg

Really shouldn't be top-wrapped.

V-Bridge-3.jpg

Latest Threads