Top wrapping is...

cpo

Reaction score
Someone should invent a Plek-type machine that can accurately strum and pick the guitar exactly the same way every time, record before and afters for all of these little tone-secret alternatives, and run the results through an oscilloscope.

Sounds like someone should send an email to Mythbusters...wonder if there is enough of a tweaking-les paul-rocking guitar community to justify some real myth testing? Probably not, but I can imagine those folks rigging up something very elaborate to test volume, tone, and sustain...

lazz

Reaction score
:lol:

that my friend is a great idea,a whole hour of the little red haired fox examining the pros and cons of top wrapping

dynabite

Reaction score
As Splattle said - the tension remains the same...

What a tough crowd ! ! ! :D There's another wildcard here. There's some confusion about tension. Whether top wrapped or not, static tension remains the same, but when in action being played top wrapping will have more give, the same as adding more winds around the tuning post. The added string mass on the tail also takes tension away from the ball end. If your breaking strings at the bridge or tail this is something to consider, as well as string gauge. I never really noticed these problems until I switched to .011's. With the tail down and less than 1 wrap on the tuning posts there's no give, I'm breaking strings at the tail, 1st E & B. When the ball end is soldered they're breaking between the 5th and 12th fret. I'm top wrapping the 1st two only and adding a couple winds on the tuning post and they're not breaking, yet. Breaking at the bridge may be tied in here but that hasn't happened yet... :dude:

cpo

Reaction score
whats top wrapping?

It's when a sheet of thin plastic is spread across the top of a product during packaging to hold it in place. There is a patented device that was invented to assist with this process, United States Patent 4936080:
A device for spreading of a top wrapping flm in wrapping in a wrapping machine. The wrapping machine is provided with a top film device which has a top film roll as well as devices for feeding and pulling the top film....​
This is said to improve product flexibility and sustain, but nobody can prove it. I prefer top-wrapping, if anything, for the psychological benefit it gives.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
Gibson literature about the Tune-O-Matic and Stoptail specifically statest that the tailpiece can be raised or lowered to adjust string tension and break-angle as the user sees fit.

Yes, to maintain a certain note/tunning, requires a certain amount of tension for a given length of string. But, the length of string, and it's break-angle behind the bridge does also matter when considering bending notes, vibrato, and fretting technique. That is what is really meant when people say "tension" with reference to topwrapping and stoptail height.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's when a sheet of thin plastic is spread across the top of a product during packaging to hold it in place. There is a patented device that was invented to assist with this process, United States Patent 4936080:
A device for spreading of a top wrapping flm in wrapping in a wrapping machine. The wrapping machine is provided with a top film device which has a top film roll as well as devices for feeding and pulling the top film....​
This is said to improve product flexibility and sustain, but nobody can prove it. I prefer top-wrapping, if anything, for the psychological benefit it gives.

whats that?

04renostar

Reaction score
probably gonna try this some day, but I kinda don't wanna ruin the finish on the tail piece.

cpo

Reaction score
probably gonna try this some day, but I kinda don't wanna ruin the finish on the tail piece.

I figure worst case is that if it scratches up the tailpiece (and I go back to standard method), I now have an excuse to upgrade the bridge and stop bar. :)

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score

whats that?

It's complicated. :)

whats complicated?

:eek:

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I have one guitar that is top wrapped...but that's because the aftermarket bridge I put on there doesn't allow for clearance for the strings from the stop bar.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I've got some that feel better top wrapped and others that I can't either tell any difference or don't like it on, so it's definitely an individual thing.

Whether or not it is scientifically true who cares, if it is only a psychological effect then fine it still doesn't change anything, it's about how each guitar feels to me that matters.

Jason

Reaction score
Top wrapping is for people who are too lazy to adjust their tailpiece. :laugh2:

Armitage

Reaction score
It amazes me how many people argue it doesn't do anything, when you can easily raise the tailpiece and feel for yourself.

Latest Threads