Top wrapping is...

Tonequest

Reaction score
GREAT!!!!

This has no doubt all been said before, so I'm not breaking any new ground, but...

Personally, I love top-wrapping the strings. I think it is the only way to go. The reasons why I love it are as follows:

1). It reduces the break angle at the bridge, allowing for easier bending. This is GOOD (IMO).

2). By top wrapping, you can avoid the annoying problem of the stings coming into contact with the rear edge of the bridge (which is what happens when you string it the traditional way, due to the steeper angle). You have the double benefit of reducing the break angle, while simultaneously being able to keep the tail-piece locked right down against the body (this is GOOD, IMO :thumb:)

3). I find that top wrapping significantly changes the tone, in a very good way. It makes the guitar sound more 'alive', adds real mojo. Hard to describe, but I hear REAL differences.

4). Matter of opinion, but in my view looks, PRETTY COOL :cool:

Any other benefits anyone can think of that I haven't mentioned, or come to think of it, any negatives to top-wrapping?

And while I'm on the subject, where or when did top-wrapping start? Did someone just stumble on the idea of doing it this during a beer fuelled moment of inspiration or did Gibson always intend this to be an alternative way of stringing the Les Paul?

Reaction score
......a matter of taste and neither the right or the wrong way to do it.

However, I personally top-wrap everything that can be, I love it:applause::applause:!

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
where or when did top-wrapping start? Did someone just stumble on the idea of doing it this during a beer fuelled moment of inspiration or did Gibson always intend this to be an alternative way of stringing the Les Paul?

Before the tune-o-matic was invented top wrapping was the only way of stringing that bridge/tailpiece.

I think it's over-rated. I need some sort of force to bend strings against.

Liam

lineboss58

Reaction score
Dont use it myself i think if you buy a good guitar in the first place you wouldnt need it. I keep my stopbar around a quarter inch high anyway so i dont have the angle problem. The whole tuneomatic thing was made so you could finetune string tension for string guage, with topwrapping that option is gone. Each to their own i guess.:lol:

FourT6and2

Reaction score
I can't topwrap on mine because the break angle would be too shallow.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't topwrap on mine because the break angle would be too shallow.

Same. Topwrapping DOES NOT WORK on guitars with shallower / "vintage" neck angles. There isn't enough break angle over the bridge, and your strings will pop out of their saddle slots. My R8 did not like top wrapping at all.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Top wrapping does not affect string tension. For a given string to be tuned to pitch it must have a particular tension regardless of what's happening behind the bridge.

River

Reaction score
Top wrapping does not affect string tension. For a given string to be tuned to pitch it must have a particular tension regardless of what's happening behind the bridge.
Pesky physics...

bluesjuke

Reaction score
..... You have the double benefit of reducing the break angle, while simultaneously being able to keep the tail-piece locked right down against the body (this is GOOD, IMO :thumb:)

I myself find that each LP has a height it prefers for the tailpiece.
When you find it the guitar sings better.

darkr_reaver

Reaction score
Hmmm... Isn't there certain hardware made for the whole top wrapping thing or is it all just a player preference type o thing?

Deftone

Reaction score
I tried it. I didn't notice any change at all, other than some slight damage to my tailpiece. Won't do that again.

River

Reaction score
I tried it. I didn't notice any change at all, other than some slight damage to my tailpiece. Won't do that again.
Yeah, I'm not all that fussy about wear and tear, but that's the nail in the coffin as far as trying it for me. Gold plate's not gonna tolerate too much of that and I don't have any spare tailpieces lying around.

dynabite

Reaction score

True, but it affects bridge tension which affects sustain and harmonics.

Rico

Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody has come up with a slotted tail piece to replace the stock tail piece. That way you wouldn't ruin the stock with scratches.

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
If you're looking for easier bends you could try pure nickel strings. I've heard they are easier to pull. I'm definitely gonna try some when I get back to the States (guitar shops in this country SUCK!)

Latest Threads