Top wrapping and Tone Pros?????

richedie

Reaction score
I was reading a Dan Erlewine book and he talks about Les Paul stop tails and mentions it is good to wrap the strings around the tail piece or better yet, use a Tone Pros bridge/tail piece for better coupling and tone.

Any truth to this? Ever try it?

-Rich

inxs996

Banned
Reaction score
Yes it is true, i have the new Tonepros locking studs for my aluminum tailpiece, along with the locking bridge, the tailpiece is installed tightly against the body and topwrapped and i can honestly say that i hear a difference, the sustain is much greater and last much longer..

check out my sig for parts i installed...

eric

WildeStarr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was reading a Dan Erlewine book and he talks about Les Paul stop tails and mentions it is good to wrap the strings around the tail piece or better yet, use a Tone Pros bridge/tail piece for better coupling and tone.

Any truth to this? Ever try it?

-Rich

I use all 3 Tone Pros parts on my Les Paul
Locking bridge
Locking T/P
Locking studs

:applause:

DHaught

Reaction score
I had all tone pro's hardware installed when I restored my LP and they are nicer pieces than stock for sure. I also started top wrapping the stop bar and to me it seemed to hurt the sustain slightly but it seems to make it bend easier for some reason.

richedie

Reaction score
I am not worried about string changes as some say because I never change all strings at once unless cleaning the board. Eitehr, I don't care.:)

Big thing for me is if it alters tone for better or for worse. What is better, the aluminum tailpiece or the steel TP? I play mostly classic rock, hard rock and metal.

I know Pigtail parts are supposed to be the best so I may see what he has to offer.

I know he has TPs.

Not sure if I would get the Pigtail bridge or Tonepros. I know TonePros is all made in China so that worried me about build quality.

Why would you need to top wrap if you have the TonePros anyway?

I will say that top wrapping makes sense because the strings now clear the bridge which is better for tone and sustain....plus it will make the strings easier to bend which could be good or bad! Could allow me to use heavier strings! I am also thikning top wrapping might make the coupling good enough that a Tone Pros may not be necessary.

Billy1953

Reaction score
I put tone pro stop tail piece in my 57 lp jr and sustain was much better

ozone

Reaction score
I did notice a difference. I have much better sustain but the strings do feel more slinky. It's wierd to play because I prefer more tension. I'm going heavier guage on the strings to compensate for the feel. I'm on 10's now so probably 11 or 12. I hope that'll work because I think heavier guage will give better tone anyway.

inxs996

Banned
Reaction score
I can definitely say bending the strings is so much easier, and the sustain is much improved..

I did read somewhere that with topwrapping it enables you to switch to a thicker set of strings, i have chosen to stay with the ones that i had on it prior to topwrapping...

Latest Threads