Top Wrap

edselman

Reaction score
I top wrapped an SG Standard with a Nashville bridge as I couldn’t get the tailpiece high enough to keep the strings from hitting the bridge. I was then able to deck the tailpiece. The strings felt slinkier at first and no so much so later on. Maybe it was just an illusion,

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
I do, and it makes no discernible different to how bends feel. I do it because it was just easier to bury the tail piece against the body, and top wrapping makes sure the strings don't contact the back of the bridge.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I'm asking because I'm trying to lower my tail piece. I had a fret buz so I had to raise my bridge, now my tail piece is too high.
That's where you went wrong: blaming the height of the tailpiece.

Sometimes you have to bend at the knees.
Sometimes you have to stand on a phone book.

Either way, the tailpiece is ALWAYS at exactly the right height.

Diversity really is the spice of life.

Niloy63

Reaction score
I personally don't top wrap. I think I remember reading somewhere that Bonamassa is a big proponent of top wrapping. It makes sense to me that the strings would be slinkier because of the decreased break angle at the saddle. But then again, I don't know much. :facepalm: :beer:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The point of top wrapping is to keep the strings from touching the back of the bridge...... so wrapping around a stop bar bridge is like touching the back and then some??

I have a Les Paul with the strings touching the back of a Nashville bridge without any buzzing or loss of sustain or ill affects of any kind.

Maybe I just got lucky:eek:

:rofl:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Les Paul with the strings touching the back of a Nashville bridge without any buzzing or loss of sustain or ill affects of any kind.

Maybe I just got lucky:eek:

:rofl:
Honestly, I did this for 30 years, never had an issue, apart the bent bridges because of the pressure...but in terms of tone, the strings touching the back of the bridge, are doing absolutely nothing. We are guitar players; we love to pretend our shit it's too complex for the average man to understand, but most of the time it's Occam's Razor. :)

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I did this for 30 years, never had an issue, apart the bent bridges because of the pressure...but in terms of tone, the strings touching the back of the bridge, are doing absolutely nothing. We are guitar players; we love to pretend our shit it's too complex for the average man to understand, but most of the time it's Occam's Razor. :)
Yes,... collapsed bridges. Though I have a couple of over-40 LP Customs and one collapsed the other is still fine.

I think the poor materials these are made from might play a part.... and the 40 years.

My bones are suffering from age too .... poor materials as well I suppose ;)

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I’m gonna add the fuel to the fire. Who wants to ride that chrome three wheeler? Who wants to make that first mistake? Who uses flat wound strings on their Les pauls?

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna add the fuel to the fire. Who wants to ride that chrome three wheeler? Who wants to make that first mistake? Who uses flat wound strings on their Les pauls?
I have heard that flat wounds are good for overly bright LPs..... but it would not help the unwound strings... you might get a better low end.... Don’t know.... never tried it.

I played in a band with a bass player who used flat wounds on a fretless Fender P- Bass.... sounded pretty damn good.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I have heard that flat wounds are good for overly bright LPs..... but it would not help the unwound strings... you might get a better low end.... Don’t know.... never tried it.

I played in a band with a bass player who used flat wounds on a fretless Fender P- Bass.... sounded pretty damn good.
Yeah I’ve played with guys who used them. Years back I played with a guitar setup with them. Don’t remember the gauge. But they were heavy. Had a really good sound. I’m thinking on trying it with a 3rd wound. I guess for good measure I should say top wrap so I stay inline.