Top Wrap Alum Gotoh Tailpiece? Extra wear?

LiquidIce

Reaction score
flame suit....off :naughty:

Just received an aluminum Gotoh tailpiece from STEWMAC. I'm curious if any other owners top wrap on this particular stop bar.

I do top wrap, but whenever I change strings, I'm reminded how much I hate the inprints the strings leave on the tailpiece.

I was curious if there will be more damage done to the aluminum piece since it's so much lighter.

Thanks.

wwit

Reaction score
I overwrap the Gotoh Aluminum on my Dot Deluxe. I have another one coming from StewMac for my new JB. It will also be overwraped.

As Im sitting here, Im looking at the one on my Dot. Its been on a year now and I dont see any damage to the tailpeice at all. Eventually it will show some aging, but once strung up, there isnt movement going on that might dig in. Mines nickel finished and I use nickel strings, so there shouldnt be any issues with incompatable metals corrosion.

Id say do it, you can always change it on the next restring. Im currently reverse wrapped the stock bridge. But Ive noticed that the low E and A dont follow the curve back towards the bridge due to the thickness from the string tying at the bobbin. For the life of me i couldnt figure out why I was having issues with staying in tune on those 2 strings until I noticed the strings not laying falt back over the stop. You will see that the Gotoh stops are shaped more like a peak, then the flatter stock epi tailpeice. On my Dot, the strings follow the steep shape. So for now on my JB I just gently tap the 2 strings over the stop so they follow the contour and now stay in tune. The other 4 are thin enough that they didnt have any issues tuning.

River

Reaction score
Steel strings on aluminum, under tension? Sure it'll wear, and tarnish.

LiquidIce

Reaction score
well, the current stop pieces, whatever they are made from (Epi brand), have little notches formed in the tailpiece where the string meets it.

Not sure what to do...probably just go for it and F it up :hmm:

wwit

Reaction score
:jam:
well, the current stop pieces, whatever they are made from (Epi brand), have little notches formed in the tailpiece where the string meets it.

Not sure what to do...probably just go for it and F it up :hmm:

The Gotoh has notches to keep the strings stabil for wrapover. Or it can be used straight through from the rear. Its not brain surgery. Either way will work. There realy isnt anything catostraphic that can happen. Worst case you bust a string. Best case you improve the tone a bit, get better sustain and makes for easier bends. There must be a reason that Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Joe Bonamassa and countless other LP gun slingers overwrap their tailpeices too.

:jam:

IndySouthPaw

Reaction score
I've always over wrapped my LPs and 335. Never seen any wear and if I did I wouldn't care because I like tone and playability opposed to looks of my tailpiece. The only problems I have had are wearing through my saddles from playing too much. It creates minuscule burs and cuts your strings. I have also worn through a million plastic Gibson nuts. I say overwrap it, and if you run into those other problems, get graphite saddles and a bone nut

LiquidIce

Reaction score
the burrs and cuts was what I was talking about.

Wonder if you can sand that to smooth it out, or if that will ruin the shine.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
This is a nickel plated aluminum Gotoh TP. I put it on, well over a year now and gig it about every weekend since. No scratches or nicks or chipping. If it ever disfigured it enough to bother me, I would just get another one next string change. :cool:

gitfiddle-albums-epiphone-89-mik-picture34845-100-1513-600-x-400.jpg

You wouldn't worry about scuffing up a new tire. You just drive the hell out of it until there is no tread left and get another one. :cool:

Go for it and don't worry. I think its actually harder than the zinc alloy type, though I never top-wrapped this guitar until I switched to the aluminum. I would think the only chipping would come from chrome plating maybe?

Latest Threads