Top Hat knobs on a Les Paul

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
Ok, so I took off the speed knobs on my Les Paul Traditional, but the top hat knobs are sitting very high off of the guitar. I have pushed them as far as they will go without using too much force, and they are sitting REALLY high.

are top hat knobs supposed to sit high on an LP?

sFLsniper

Reaction score
Ok, so I took off the speed knobs on my Les Paul Traditional, but the top hat knobs are sitting very high off of the guitar. I have pushed them as far as they will go without using too much force, and they are sitting REALLY high.

do you have stock electronics? where did you get the top hats?

maybe you will have to install a washer on the pot in the cavity..?

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
This has always been a pet peeve of mine. I think LP's look dorky as hell when the knobs sit up way too high. Here's a couple of quick fixes:
1-Remove the knobs and Gently , and I mean gently get a pliers and squeeze the two metal posts together a little. They will break with too much force, and that does suck.
2-Use a round file or Dremel and sand out the inside of the knob a little.
3- Buy aftermarket ones. The All parts and Stew Mac Top Hats often seem to fit better. And so do most of the import ones.

kirs

Reaction score
Mine fit fine. Are you using Gibson knobs or an off brand? The Gibson ones went on fine with zero effort.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
You can turn the post nuts in the controls cavity to lower the posts.

That's what my tech did on my '75 deluxe, turned out awesome.

This is how is looked before:
dsc02524z.jpg

Basura_Ka

Reaction score

I had the same experience on my traditional. 2 of the pots were flush but the other two were sticking out a bit. I ended up going back to the speedknobs. It started to grow on me and I actually like it better now.
But I may still try to adjust it from the inside later just for shits n' giggles

S4RDave

Reaction score
You might just have to push them on a little harder. I had the same experience when switching to top hats on my trad. A bit of gentle tapping and they went on no trouble. Before I tried this they were sitting a lot higher than the speed knobs, but they have an identical sized inner, so should in theory sit at the same height. Obviously go gently if you're tapping knobs on, or you'll crack them.

FWIW, Gibson use a mallet to hammer them on. Theres a video of the process floating around somewhere.

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Like already stated, the pot shafts have a nut (and should have a washer as well) on the cavity side as well as on the topside... or they should... every Gibson I've owned has them whether the harness is PCB, mounting plate or just the pots. They are there to set the amount that the threaded shaft sticks out of the guitar which is the biggest cause of knobs sticking up too high even when they're fully pushed on. I always adjust them so there are just barely enough threads sticking out the top to get the washer and nut on... and have never had any issue with height of speed, top hat or any other type of knob by any manufacturer on any of my Gibsons. I don't understand the the extreme measures some people are taking to get their knobs to sit low (assuming you are getting them all the way on in the first place, which is another tip and trick).

S4RDave

Reaction score
Like already stated, the pot shafts have a nut (and should have a washer as well) on the cavity side as well as on the topside... or they should... every Gibson I've owned has them whether the harness is PCB, mounting plate or just the pots. They are there to set the amount that the threaded shaft sticks out of the guitar which is the biggest cause of knobs sticking up too high even when they're fully pushed on. I always adjust them so there are just barely enough threads sticking out the top to get the washer and nut on... and have never had any issue with height of speed, top hat or any other type of knob by any manufacturer on any of my Gibsons. I don't understand the the extreme measures some people are taking to get their knobs to sit low (assuming you are getting them all the way on in the first place, which is another tip and trick).

This is 100% true. However, if the original speedknobs were at the desired height yet the tophats sit too high, it should just be a matter of seating them properly on the threaded shaft, as the inner dimensions of both knob types should be identical.

Basura_Ka

Reaction score
Can anyone provide pics on how to adjust the height of the pots? I looked at my traditional's cavity and there is a plate covering the pots' nuts/washer and I don't know how to make any adjustments. I don't wanna adjust anything before I get some expert/experienced opinion

SkunkWorks

Reaction score
Can anyone provide pics on how to adjust the height of the pots? I looked at my traditional's cavity and there is a plate covering the pots' nuts/washer and I don't know how to make any adjustments. I don't wanna adjust anything before I get some expert/experienced opinion
Just take the knobs, nuts and washers off the top side and you'll be able to pull the whole plate out a bit inside the cavity without undoing any wiring or anything. You should see a nut and probably a washer on the shafts of the pots... where they are on the shafts determines how far the shafts will stick out of the top of the guitar. Just play with them and push the plate back in place and then check topside to see how far the shafts stick out. It's really just trial and error at this point. Put the topside nut, washer and knobs back on and check them. It's pretty simple and quick to do. I adjust mine so there's just barely enough threads poking out to get the topside nut and washer on.

ehamady6

Reaction score
Just take the knobs, nuts and washers off the top side and you'll be able to pull the whole plate out a bit inside the cavity without undoing any wiring or anything. You should see a nut and probably a washer on the shafts of the pots... where they are on the shafts determines how far the shafts will stick out of the top of the guitar. Just play with them and push the plate back in place and then check topside to see how far the shafts stick out. It's really just trial and error at this point. Put the topside nut, washer and knobs back on and check them. It's pretty simple and quick to do. I adjust mine so there's just barely enough threads poking out to get the topside nut and washer on.

Exactamundo.

Basura_Ka

Reaction score

Ok sorry to bother you... Last nite i took off the knobs and washers and nuts. I thought i was gonna be able to remove the plate in the cavity to adjust the washer/nut on the pot shaft but i couldnt pull out the plate (if thats what u want me to do). So i am back to square one.

Latest Threads