Top Gun Maverick

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, fuck me. Why does this shit always happen to me???

We had reserved center row / center screen IMAX Theater tickets for the 11AM show today.

I love reserved seating... you simply show up at 10:55 and sit down and watch. Actually, we showed up at 11:15, since I didn't want to sit through all the stupid fucking commercials and previews for films that I would NEVER go see.

Something told me there was a problem when we walked into a filled to capacity theater and all the lights were up, nothing was playing on the screen, and one of the ushers "suggested" that we NOT take our seats.

Apparently, they were having trouble booting up the IMAX projector. The usher dudette told me that they were on the phone with IMAX tech support (I immediately wondered what time it was in Bangalore) for 20 minutes and "it doesn't look good."

Fuck.

"So, what are my options", I asked.

"You can wait it out, or I can just cut to the chase and give you 2 vouchers for a free movie and $10 worth of snacks." She was laughing, knowing what my choice would be.
(Would, but I digress)

"I'll take the vouchers, please", knowing that when the inevitable happened, the queue to get them would be 100+ deep, and then everyone would be storming to the kiosks and/or lighting up their phones to rebook.

She tore off the vouchers from the stack and handed them to me. I noticed that there were four, not two.

"Looks like you gave me two too many", I said.

"I know, it's cool. Bring a couple friends," she replied.

We walked out of the theater, up to the box office and booked the 2:30PM IMAX show for Tuesday - same seats.

When I handed the guy the vouchers, he asked I we wanted to 'preorder our food'. Oh? Hmmmm... OK, why not?

Get this.... when we scan our tickets to enter the theater on Tuesday, they will automatically bring our food and drink directly to our seats; we don't have to stand in the concession line.

Now, that's cool AF.

Bummer that we have to wait. Cool that we discovered the service option and got free (stupidly overpriced) food and drink.

Now if someone would just blow me when the lights go down, I'm sure that my wife and I both would be quite happy.

Where did that usherette go?

:laugh2:

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If liking Tom Cruise movies is gay, then I'm as gay as @Marshall & Moonshine on the high seas.

seinfeld-not-that-theres-anything-wrong-with-that.gif

C'mon out.

To have watched all of this unfold, on the big screen, right in the middle of puberty, was simply not fair.

Now, I have heard the volleyball scene in Top Gun referred to as “homoerotic.” The volleyball scene is not homoerotic. The volleyball scene is homosexual. The volleyball scene is what circuit parties have been trying to be ever since. (Or at least that’s what I’m told. I’ve never been to one, as I am a lifelong Anthony Edwards.) To have watched all of this unfold, on the big screen, right in the middle of puberty, was simply not fair. I was outmatched. I knew which way my sexuality was going already, this scene was far from my first inkling, but it confirmed the whole situation in a way that was terrifying and thrilling all at once. Every gay man within ten years of my age will tell you the same thing. It didn’t corrupt us; in fact, the volleyball scene is the best argument against the whole “grooming” conversation we’re having. If other boys my age saw this movie and ended up straight, as I understand literally dozens have, then sexual orientation is undeniably an immutable characteristic.

TheX

Better a boomer than a Karen.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they going to pretend that the crew on the roof knew what they had been doing 160 miles away again?

Fritz

Reaction score
This movie was so f#cking good! Far more than simple nostalgia bait. Tom Cruise is a legend…probably insane yes, but when he’s good he’s good
It's playing at the drive-in theater near where I live. I think we might go see it. I don't like a lot of movie stars, but I do like Tom Cruse and Johnny Depp as actors. Don't care about their personal lives, except that Depp has a 1959 Les Paul and plays pretty well.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You will like it.

Yet your review will focus on the things you are critical of more than why your overall experience was positive.

I’m just hoping that the fucking IMAX projector boots up today. I really don’t want to come back for a 3rd time. LOL

I know that I’ll like it. I’m not here for the story. Fuck that. And I hate Tom.

I just want to see the flying.

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imax or Digital? Is it worth 15 bucks for Imax?

Latest Threads