Top acoustic guitar at +- 1000$

Haakon

Reaction score
Been thinking about upgrading to a new acoustic guitar, and i am looking for input for an easy playing, good quality and good value dreadnought type guitar.

price range about 1000usd (or under, Im not that picky)

Have very little experience with acoustics. Have a shit Morgan guitar now that i look forward to not be playing..

thanks! -Haakon

Meatwad

Reaction score
A few years back I picked up a Yamaha LL-16.....they go for a little under a grand.

At the time I bought it, I had a *very* nice high end boutique dread.
I'd bought several other acoustics along the way as a backup/beater, including a nice Taylor 314ce.

I no longer have any other steel string acoustic (well.....I have a resonator, but that's a whole 'nuther realm) other than the Yamaha - it's that nice.
It has a chunky-ish neck profile, and to my ears the tone sits between a modern voiced Taylor and an old jumbo.
It's just perfect for my needs and stopped me looking for anything else.

YMMV and all that........

E.X

Reaction score
A grand used, or new?

New, i'd look for an Eastman, piss easy to find one for US residents. Dollar to dollar, don't think there's any brand out there that can match them in sound quality.

Used, well.. that would take some serious looking, as always. Forget brand(s) and start browsing honestly. Incidentally, am saying serious searching not just in terms of pricing, but also condition; matters a lot more here, humidity and temperature; ergo where they've been kept/stored and whether they've been played outside. You pick the wrong one, you're in for surprises and luthier visits even if it looks "mint" front, side and back. Just keep it in mind if you're shopping online.

Happy hunting :)

Haakon

Reaction score
Thanks for replys!

i almost always buy used guitars, But that will depend on What condition i find the guitars In.

Been looking at the Yamaha LL-16, that guitar gets Good reviews! New price is almost at the price point of a used, Good condition gibson jd-45 here In Norway.

tzd

Reaction score
If you play mostly electric and want an acoustic that is very easy to play and sounds great, I highly recommend the Martin Junior series. They have a Dreadnought Jr model, both with and without electronics:

The scale length is 24 inch. Even though I play 25.5" on electric, I always had trouble playing that on acoustics. I recently got the 000 Jr and it's been a blast to play! Build quality is very good and it sounds great too, and is very affordable.

angeldeville

Reaction score
I have a 1999 J-45 and a 1964 Bard 12 string.

I play my 7ender Sonoran, and my Gretsch Jim Dandy the most. combined they were under $600

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’ve mostly played acoustic guitar in my 40 years of guitaring and have a herd, from under $100 to a Martin D41. There are a lot of really nice playing and sounding guitars in your budget. Yamaha, Breedlove and other brands mentioned generally get very good reviews. I have a Seagull S6 with a spruce top (usually cedar) I bought for half price a few years ago and it’s a wonderful guitar. I’ve found the wider 1 3/4” nut width a better fit for me than 1 11/16”. I know, it’s 1/16th of an inch, but it is noticeably different.

Get some ideas on what you’re looking for and play some - you’ll find one that feels and sounds like what you’re after. Maybe play some guitars above your budget to get an idea of what they play and sound like so you have a sort of baseline for yourself. A nice acoustic guitar is a wonderful friend for years to come. A nice guitar doesn’t have to have a mega price. Best of luck!

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
As others have said, there are A LOT of guitars in your budget, especially if you buy used.

For the last 20+ yrs, I ONLY buy used and in person.

I mostly have scored my entire acoustic collection from pawnshops.

Every one of these guitars I've picked up in the last 4-5 yrs., and all were bought for under $1K:

$650 - '78 Gibson Gospel Dred. ( valued at about $1100)

$762 - '76 S. L. Mossman Great Plains Dred. (valued at about $1800+/-)

$923 - '81 Martin 7-28 Dred. (valued at about $2500+/-)

$200 - '81 Yamaha F-365S Dred.(S= Solid Top) (valued at about $600+/-)

These are just some examples of where I picked us some really great guitars for WAY lower than their true value.

You could probably find deals like this if you put in a lot of time and energy, if you were to choose to.

If your just wanting to buy used and will probably buy online, I don't think you could find a better playing and sounding guitar for the money as this Yamaha.

Yamaha AC3R A- Concert Series( I've actually played one in person and was blown away by the tone and playability)

You can find one of these used for about $700+/-, and it punches WAY above its price point.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Texsunburst59, you’ve found some truly nice guitars and getting them for what you paid - well done!

moreles

Reaction score
New, i'd look for an Eastman, piss easy to find one for US residents. Dollar to dollar, don't think there's any brand out there that can match them in sound quality.
This. The other acoustics mentiuoned here are good and legit, but Eastman has hit its stride and is simply a level beyond any of these. They are doing extraordinary work these days and IMO are in a league of their own. They source amazing materials and their workmanship (for anything other than bottom line budget stuff) is beautiful.
That said, I would buy used, if you are patient and willing to shop and walk away from anything but a fine guitar. For $1K used you can get twice the guitar as $1K new. There's also the advantage of finding a guitar that has settled in, stood the test of time, and has no (bad) surprises in store.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson G45. $999 with a gorgeous hard shell case. Made in Montana. I played a nice, used mid 90's guild I could not put down, put could not afford at the time, around $900.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
If you buy a Yamaha at that price, it will compete well against ANY guitar in the same price range and above. Also, I don't know how much access to Godin guitars, but all of their brands are top notch (Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie, Norman, Godin Acoustic).

dspelman

Reaction score
If you buy a Yamaha at that price, it will compete well against ANY guitar in the same price range and above. Also, I don't know how much access to Godin guitars, but all of their brands are top notch (Seagull, Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie, Norman, Godin Acoustic).

I have an older cheap Yamaha (I think it was about $150 back when) to act as the stalking horse for my expensive acoustics. I was at McCabe's a short while ago and tried a Yamaha 830 (solid spruce top, laminated sides/back) that was around $300 (recollection) and I was really surprised at how well it played and how good it sounded. If you don't absolutely NEED to spend a grand, you might want to take a look at that one. You'll want to set aside a bit for a really good setup (the one I tried had been done up, but the other one I tried out of the box really needed a setup), but once done, it's a surprising guitar.

Haakon

Reaction score
I have an older cheap Yamaha (I think it was about $150 back when) to act as the stalking horse for my expensive acoustics. I was at McCabe's a short while ago and tried a Yamaha 830 (solid spruce top, laminated sides/back) that was around $300 (recollection) and I was really surprised at how well it played and how good it sounded. If you don't absolutely NEED to spend a grand, you might want to take a look at that one. You'll want to set aside a bit for a really good setup (the one I tried had been done up, but the other one I tried out of the box really needed a setup), but once done, it's a surprising guitar.
thank You all for great replys!
If i can Get a Pretty Good guitar for less, i absolutely dont need to spend more money than necassary. (More money for electrics)

I will absoloutly take a look at some of the less expensive Models mentioned here.

Nintari

Reaction score
Hard to find a great new solid-wood guitar from a reputable maker at that price range. So unless you're willing to buy used, my advice would be to just sit on that money and slowly save up it until you can get into at least the D-18 and J-45 range. Because honestly, those types of guitars are built to last a lifetime. And even though cheaper guitars certainly can last a lifetime, it's the the iconic ones that you'll have more fun owning and have more fun playing.

Latest Threads