TOOLS: A thread for sharing tool knowledge, experience and tricks of the trade.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a reasonably priced good quality set of drill bits. I had a set of Craftsman I used for 30 years, some of them were getting useless even with sharpening so I bought a new set from Craftsman, they were junk.

Craftsman label was sold off by Sears a while ago. They also started importing everything from China perpetuating the lie that your money still buys the same. JUNK!

Fastenal and Grainger (local and online) and places like that sell Pro machine shop drill bits and sometimes have ratings to see what really outperforms the rest. Never cheap either. BUT you do get what you pay for in this arena.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a reasonably priced good quality set of drill bits. I had a set of Craftsman I used for 30 years, some of them were getting useless even with sharpening so I bought a new set from Craftsman, they were junk.
These here are awesome. $135 but worth it. You can get each bit sharpened as needed or replaced by the same bit. I bought many brands and kits over the years and some are better than others, but they all broke or wore out and weren't really up to the job. These work and work well.

Fastenal is not my favorite company, but they offer this set of drill bits (by Norseman) and they are great. You may find them online cheaper, I don't know. I need stuff and I need it now....I go to where it is. While doing jobs, I didn't have time to look stuff up and order.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
New Craftsman are junk. I have old Sears Craftsman tools. I wouldn't want what Lowe's is selling now days.

Last edited:

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Craftsman label was sold off by Sears a while ago. They also started importing everything from China perpetuating the lie that your money still buys the same. JUNK!

Fastenal and Grainger (local and online) and places like that sell Pro machine shop drill bits and sometimes have ratings to see what really outperforms the rest. Never cheap either. BUT you do get what you pay for in this arena.
Taiwan is making them too.

Tone deaf

Reaction score

I met the founder of Fastenal a year or so ago. Nice guy, ridiculously successful (as you might imagine).

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spokeshave! FTW. It's what I use to shape guitar necks.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a handy little mofo. I bought it at Canadian Tire for a few dollars. Likely made in China, but because of the short metal shaft, it's quite balanced. Good for when you have small things to hammer and a tiny hammer just doesn't have the force to do the job. I wouldn't want to drive a 3 1/2" ardox with it, though.

My other hammer is an old style 16 oz Mastercraft with a steel shaft.

Dave_W

Reaction score

Sears started importing from China long before selling off Craftsman. Then they sold Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker -- the same company that has owned DeWalt for years. I have a lot more confidence in Stanley Black & Decker than in Sears.

The problem now is that Sears still controls the Craftsman tools it sells. The Craftsman tools you can buy at Lowe's and elsewhere aren't as good as the old all-USA Craftsman but they're better than what you can buy at Sears.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I used to only buy American until I tried Milwaukee. Their tools that are made overseas are far much better than that majority of the stuff made in America. Dewalt's USA drills don't even come close.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to only buy American until I tried Milwaukee. Their tools that are made overseas are far much better than that majority of the stuff made in America. Dewalt's USA drills don't even come close.
I liked all the Milwaukee stuff. I had a problem with battery life on the sawzall and drills. Great tools, though. DeWalt stuff is assembled in America with International parts. Deceiving stickers on them now.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I liked all the Milwaukee stuff. I had a problem with battery life on the sawzall and drills. Great tools, though. DeWalt stuff is assembled in America with International parts. Deceiving stickers on them now.
It's only a matter of time before their power tools pass up Snap-on.

Teledan

Reaction score
When working on Japanese cars, DO NOT use regular Philips screwdrivers. They strip out the head after years of fusing. Japanese use a different head called JIS. It's all about something called Cam Out. You would not believe how much better it grabs vs American Philips.

Vessel #2 JIS
I was going to mention this as well!

Speaking of tools, I have been thinking about getting a new angle grinder. Mainly for cutting steel and aluminum stock with a cutoff wheel and for grinding/sanding steel. I am leaning towards this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RVZ7DNO/?coliid=I2RDJKM8TC1PYJ&colid=YR41S6H1Q9JP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any other suggestions?

G Man

Reaction score
A good angle grinder can come in extremely handy. Just last weekend when I was replacing the exhaust in my truck with a new catback setup, the angle grinder with a cut off wheel made short work of getting the old pipes out.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention this as well!

Speaking of tools, I have been thinking about getting a new angle grinder. Mainly for cutting steel and aluminum stock with a cutoff wheel and for grinding/sanding steel. I am leaning towards this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RVZ7DNO/?coliid=I2RDJKM8TC1PYJ&colid=YR41S6H1Q9JP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any other suggestions?
My old boss has that one it works amazingly well. I think you can do just as well with a battery powered one. Mine lasts all day and cuts anything. If you are in a shop environment and have power....go for it. You can't go wrong. :)

danohat

Reaction score
I'm a pro and I actually have no allegiance to brand other than Milwaukee for cordless tools. I go through drills, bits, screwdrivers, pliers, wire strippers, hammers and tape measures so fast that it doesn't even matter what brand. Obviously you need a great pair of Klein linesman pliers and diagonal cutters (with leverage). I bought a brand new pair of pliers today and left them sitting on the job. Damn!

Hanover Fist

Reaction score
I know Harbor Freight gets a bad rap, and sometimes they deserve it. But there are a few things they make that seen to be decent.
If anyone is looking for some tool storage, Harbor Freight makes GOOD toolboxes. Yes they're made in China, but they are heavy, constructed with double-walled steel, and are MUCH better made than the flimsy ones you find at Sears, Home Depot, and Lowe's.

This is what I currently have (all 4 pieces):

Latest Threads