Took my inherited 75-76 Les Paul Deluxe Blue Sparkle to get appraised, what can I expect?

Lester

Reaction score
I love sparkle top Deluxes , though I would never pay what people are asking for them.

It’s just a painted top,... it can be repeated. Deluxes are not rare,.. even in minty condition.

As far as family heirlooms go,... this is the very meaning of it. Resale value is fine for insurance purposes.

Since it has a history in the family that is where it should stay. Just my opinion.

:cheers:
I think Norlin Deluxes that were never routed and are in pristine condition are moderately rare. Not like '56 LP rare, but still hard to find.

However, Deluxes haven't quite reached "Hey, how come we've been ignoring those, they rock!" status. They will in the next few years. Then prices will shoot up.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loves my Deluxes, but the sparkle (blue or red) in contrast with the wood just doesn't do it for me.

bum

Reaction score
That guitar is spectacular OP

Kenshi

Reaction score
As promised, here are the photos. I've also included a link to an album with them in high resolution if you really want to pour over them, you can find it here.

Unfortunately, my batteries are out on my speedlight, so I'll get those charged up and do a real studio shoot at some point in the future.
HCT or somebody with more knowledge than I may be able to tell more, but it looks like a mahogany neck from your recent photos. I thought Gibson started using maple for LP necks in '75?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
HCT or somebody with more knowledge than I may be able to tell more, but it looks like a mahogany neck from your recent photos. I thought Gibson started using maple for LP necks in '75?
1974-1975 is a transition period. All 1974s have hog necks but not all 1975s have maple necks.... there are no hard time lines for when a change was made. Through out the Norlin era there are many transitions of changes that take months and many instruments to fully implement.

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
They consider most electric instruments too large of a liability and will weasel out of the claim should you have one (but will gladly take the premium).
It's worse than that. Should the guitar be stolen, they will first attempt to find another one like it in the U.S. The replacement guitar would definitely not be as mint as the OP's, and furthermore, it could have issues like play wear. Always stick with an insurance company that specializes in guitars. State Farm is probably ok with jewelry, provided you have a GIA cert on a stone. There is no way they could find a ring with the same specs as the one you bought, so they will cash you out at Actual Cash Value.

mxjerrett

Reaction score
Looks like I really need to start looking into dedicated insurers! Thanks for the input all. I'm glad the guitar is every bit as special as my family (and me!) feels it is (though at a bit lower price point than they believe!), but it's unique to me and I hope I get to pass this beauty down one day.

lavern23

Reaction score
What a cool inheritance. That Lester is sharp. I have inherited 2 guitars. My great uncle left me a 1964 Gretsch Tennessean and a 1935 Gibson L-00 he took to WWII. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Who

angeldeville

Reaction score
Why did it go to an appraiser? Did you pay someone to appraise it?

If it is for insurance purposes, you state the value and insure it for that amount. And you pay insurance based on that amount.

you got a bunch of free appraisals here.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ But you cannot arbitrarily declare goods at massively overstated prices. You get into the 'insurance fraud' investigation situation then. Plus in certain parts of the world this allows the insurer to legally dismiss your claim out of hand.
And having it undervalued is pointless to the concept of insurance in the first place.

Most companies for individual declared items of some age and value do require a written valuation. Fair to say that 'some guy on a forum said it was worth this' is nowhere near sufficient.

Red Planet

Reaction score
Great guitar and great family heritage I would never part with it.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about insuring it, unless you live in a bad part of town or plan on gigging with it and are afraid of it getting stolen. I had like 14k in guitars and my home owners insurance covers them if they got stolen.

Just.Sean

Reaction score
I really like metal flake. I love my Gretsch Silver Jet. This is, bar none, my favourite looking LP.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Just FYI
you should go talk to some folks that have had it happen and see if their homeowners covered 14K in guitars with no extra coverage or addendum.

I hope that you verified this with your agent and do not just assume this.

That "gigging" part will also play a BIG difference in whether or not they pay...once they find out you are getting paid, all of that coverage changes because those become tools of the trade.

You should really look into this and not just guess...if it is not in writing, you are not covered.

Do a search here....there was an instance recently.

I wouldn't even worry about insuring it, unless you live in a bad part of town or plan on gigging with it and are afraid of it getting stolen. I had like 14k in guitars and my home owners insurance covers them if they got stolen.

Last edited:

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should really look into this and not just guess...if it is not in writing, you are not covered.

Do a search here....there was an instance recently.
Good advice. I checked with my Insurance Agent and found I needed to have specific extra coverage for this as it was not covered under my homeowners insurance.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
That is what everyone finds out when they actually check.....problem is most check after the fact because they assumed before the fact.

Latest Threads