Took my inherited 75-76 Les Paul Deluxe Blue Sparkle to get appraised, what can I expect?

mxjerrett

Reaction score
As promised, here are the photos. I've also included a link to an album with them in high resolution if you really want to pour over them, you can find it here.

Unfortunately, my batteries are out on my speedlight, so I'll get those charged up and do a real studio shoot at some point in the future.

Attachments

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
so F-ing bananas how cool that is...

but who picked the strings?

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Bad ass, man it really is....I am glad you will keep it, that makes it priceless.

Now......

Did you tell him what I told you too?

What was his answer?

So he says $8500 retail....I really think that is about right for insurance purposes etc.

What did he say he would give you for it?

mxjerrett

Reaction score
Bad ass, man it really is....I am glad you will keep it, that makes it priceless.

Now......

Did you tell him what I told you too?

What was his answer?

So he says $8500 retail....I really think that is about right for insurance purposes etc.

What did he say he would give you for it?
I didn't get much of a straight answer on what he'd give me for it unfortunately. He effective said "if you want to move it, we definitely want it, and we'd need to sit down and talk out a deal".

dasherf17

Reaction score
I didn't get much of a straight answer on what he'd give me for it unfortunately. He effective said "if you want to move it, we definitely want it, and we'd need to sit down and talk out a deal".
...so many flags go up on that one...nothing in the store is going to go for what yours will +overhead...just keep it and love it. I'm sure Grampa would want you to have it and pass it on...

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
That'd be my grandfather. He was a huge fan of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, and I think that's what's on there now.
1615052111136.png
ain't no EB string I've ever seen. I love them though and are currently on one in the stable, you just don't see them on guitars with stop bars too often.

still not a bad choice, it was more curiosity.

mxjerrett

Reaction score
...so many flags go up on that one...nothing in the store is going to go for what yours will +overhead...just keep it and love it. I'm sure Grampa would want you to have it and pass it on...
I had previously told him that I wasn't interested in selling, so I have the feeling he didn't want to sit down and work through negotiations for something that wasn't going to happen anyways.

stilwel

Reaction score
3rd generation guitar? I'd never sell that thing.
I'm 2nd generation on the LP Special in my avatar. My son will get it when I'm gone.

dasherf17

Reaction score
3rd generation guitar? I'd never sell that thing.
I'm 2nd generation on the LP Special in my avatar. My son will get it when I'm gone.
I had a Special like that...regret the day I swapped or sold it...early '70s...

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
@dasherf17 you are wrong, there's no red flags there, and of course there's overhead, the man has a business.

He has to put his money on the line etc. etc. This is NOT a quick sale, if you want to get top dollar....matter of fact, to get top dollar, you will wait.....

That being said, I already know his answer, and have posted it.

Take he retail valuation and work your way backwards.....

again, keep it, it is priceless.

dasherf17

Reaction score
@dasherf17 you are wrong, there's no red flags there, and of course there's overhead, the man has a business.

He has to put his money on the line etc. etc. This is NOT a quick sale, if you want to get top dollar....matter of fact, to get top dollar, you will wait.....

That being said, I already know his answer, and have posted it.

Take he retail valuation and work your way backwards.....

again, keep it, it is priceless.
Nu-nu-nu-no, hct...I get the business end...yes, he has to maintain his life (more than a -style, as far as music goes).
I just didn't want the heirloom owner to give up an apparent heirloom...
Sadly, by the time I get these threads, they've been out a while and I haven't read all the way through them if it's been, say, 6-8 pages...sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes...overhead is important for the business owner.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love sparkle top Deluxes , though I would never pay what people are asking for them.

It’s just a painted top,... it can be repeated. Deluxes are not rare,.. even in minty condition.

As far as family heirlooms go,... this is the very meaning of it. Resale value is fine for insurance purposes.

Since it has a history in the family that is where it should stay. Just my opinion.

:cheers:

moreles

Reaction score
While a Norlin Deluxe is a common guitar and therefore, as an instrument, has a pretty solid price ceiling, the unusual finish and, particularly, the condition means yours could go for as low as maybe 4500 or as high as, perhaps, 6500. Of course, if you had to sell it in a narrow-ish window of time, you're stuck with who's looking during that period, and it could be even less... or even more if a collector comes looking for that particular guitar. Your is a spectacular example. I am not one who looks at something like a guitar as a family museum piece. The story doesn't need the guitar to be true. The guitar doesn't need to be in your possession to continue to be enjoyed and appreciated - in fact, maybe it will actually get played, or maybe it will be in a collection where it isn't just stashed away. If you were super close personally to your grandfather, then you'll want to keep it, but if not, pass it on. In either case, I would try to find a correct case. Any guitar that the owner or the market considers remarkable is expected to have the right case, particularly if the guitar is generally kept in the case.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
First and most of all, thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

theusualdan

Reaction score
For those wondering, insuring the guitar through State Farm, with the $8,500 valuation, is only $60 a year. Heck of a deal if you ask me.
Buyer beware when using home insurers like State farm for musical instruments. They consider most electric instruments too large of a liability and will weasel out of the claim should you have one (but will gladly take the premium). In my case, they said I was a "professional musician" because I play gigs from time to time, so wouldn't really cover my instruments. I ended up getting a policy with MusicPro insurance, and it's been pretty great as far as service. Had a pedalboard get doused with water after a pipe burst, and they reimbursed me full value of the whole board with me just paying the $100 deductible. Worth looking into depending on your circumstances.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Buyer beware when using home insurers like State farm for musical instruments. They consider most electric instruments too large of a liability and will weasel out of the claim should you have one (but will gladly take the premium). In my case, they said I was a "professional musician" because I play gigs from time to time, so wouldn't really cover my instruments. I ended up getting a policy with MusicPro insurance, and it's been pretty great as far as service. Had a pedalboard get doused with water after a pipe burst, and they reimbursed me full value of the whole board with me just paying the $100 deductible. Worth looking into depending on your circumstances.

Additionally, with a separate policy a claim won't effect your Home Owner's Policy for things like Claim Free Discounts and / or Non-Renewal for claim activity.

Latest Threads