Took my inherited 75-76 Les Paul Deluxe Blue Sparkle to get appraised, what can I expect?

mxjerrett

Reaction score
A few years back, I inherited a 75-76 Les Paul Deluxe Blue Sparkle from my grandfather. He had received it as a graduation gift and proceeded to drop out, at which point his father said "You either graduate or you get the guitar when I die". So the guitar sat, locked in a case for over 30 years. When his father died, he received it and only played it sparingly since it was pristine. When he passed a few years later, he willed it to me.

I'm fairly sure it's a 75, but the pots are also dated 75 so it could be 76 as well. I should've jotted down the serial before dropping it off, but I believe it started with 00 and was a 6 digit. It appears to have the ABR 1 bridge on it. It's in near pristine condition with the absolute mildest of rash on the back, and there's also a tiny (less than 1cm ding) on the bottom. Other than that, it's fairly flawless.

The appraiser said he thought it'd retail for around $7,500, but he was more than willing to trade me nearly any guitar in the shop, plus some cash, if I were so inclined. Granted, with its sentimental value, I think I'll likely hold on to it. But with that in mind, what would be a fair value to a collector?

Attachments

rjwilson37

Reaction score
It looks like it is in really good shape, you may be able to get around 8-9k for it, but $7500 is a fair offer from someone hoping to make a few bucks from it.

Last edited:

mxjerrett

Reaction score
It looks like it is in really good shape, you may be able to get around 8-9k for it, but $7500 is a fair offer from someone hoping to make a few buck from it.
Once I get it back from the appraiser, I'll break out the DSLR and get better and more complete photos. It really does look like it just rolled off the factory floor.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But all joking aside, that is a spectacular guitar..
So effing cool

wish I could afford it...

-chris

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be hard pressed to let that go for $7500. partly because it's such an awesome family story. that thing is an effing rock machine. I love it.

good luck with whatever ya decide!

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the family story...... no chance I would sell it. If it sells, the money will float away like holding a handful of smoke. You’ll look back and not even know where it went.

Keep it. You are not its “owner”, you are merely your family’s current blue-sparkle caretaker.

Welcome to the forum! That thing is a dream machine.

Actually.... when I was young I would have been dumb enough to sell it. Buy a car or something with the money. Then I’d grow up and kick myself every time I thought about it.

mxjerrett

Reaction score
For the record, I have absolutely zero intentions of selling it. I'm a pretty novice player, and I'm hoping to improve enough to really make this beauty sparkle. I'm actually hoping to buy another LP or two to actually practice and beat around on since my only other electric is a pretty subpar fender stratocaster rip-off with unfixable intonation, and my 12 string acoustic doesn't quite cut the cake.

The only way I'd part with it is for an obscene amount of money or if it was donated to a museum of some sort. My grandfather didn't sell it when he was effectively broke, and it'd be a terrible affront to his memory if I did.

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
I would keep it also. I regretted selling a '64 Guild Thunderbird and '72 Les Paul Custom. In regards to the year, here is a cut and past from Wikipedia.

"In late 1975, the neck construction was changed from mahogany to maple, until the early 1980s, when the construction returned to mahogany. The body changed back to solid mahogany from the pancake design in late 1976 or early 1977."

Good luck :)

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
This is one of the few 'regular issue' models from this timeperiod that actually is a collectible in its own right.

That era guitar will also be a perfect tool to practice on - no need to duplicate it. And those minihumbuckers will really reward good playing - a great incentive to keep practicing.

filtersweep

Reaction score
That looks to be in exceptional condition, with a rare finish. I am not sure you will receive an accurate appraisal. And the back story is priceless.

Dee Bone

Reaction score
$4200US in excellent original condition... blue sparkle deluxes were made from 73-77’ in high numbers compared to red sparkles at $4600US. Real 2021 book values.... I seen someone state $9000! I’d like to sell you my Lesters...

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2021 book values
Book values are cute. And maybe something an insurance company would look at.

But reality sets in when you are looking for a nearly unplayed copy of a desirable guitar that is 45 years old. That is for sale.

Challenge: Go find one in comparable condition that's for sale for the $4,200. Especially one that is still blue, and not "green" from a yellowed clear-coat.

I'll wait here. This will help you (it's not as nice because it is greened) https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-deluxe-1969-1984?hfid=34638708&

Dee Bone

Reaction score
From what I see on this forum is that no one likes to over pay for anything they purchase. Why would a vintage guitar be any difference? Only a collector would so he could catalog it and sell it to the next dick for a profit! The industry is pretty messed up.... you have new customshop gibsons and fenders selling for more than vintage ones! Doesn’t make sense to me.... I grew up on vintage guitars and they don’t get the respect they deserve. But it is what it is... I’m just a consumer as well! If you like overpaying for gear that’s your problem not mine!
The value guide is used daily when you take your guitars to the Music shops for trade ins... it’s an important tool.

Reactions: Who

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score

I think the guitar is priceless to you, so it really does not matter.

The Blue sparkle was actually made in lessor quantities.

It may appraise for more, but it is a 4-5K guitar, if you actually want to sell it...book values are for businesses looking for retail numbers, street/selling prices are the real market.

Whatever the appraiser puts on it, immediately say "I will take that in cash, thank you"....and see what his reply is.

Let me know.

*** you need to buy a proper Gibson Protector Case that would have come with it.....
that sure is a strange case for that guitar to be locked in, under the bed in for the last 30 years???

Last edited:

mxjerrett

Reaction score

I think the guitar is priceless to you, so it really does not matter.

The Blue sparkle was actually made in lessor quantities.

It may appraise for more, but it is a 4-5K guitar, if you actually want to sell it...book values are for businesses looking for retail numbers, street/selling prices are the real market.

Whatever the appraiser puts on it, immediately say "I will take that in cash, thank you"....and see what his reply is.

Let me know.

*** you need to buy a proper Gibson Protector Case that would have come with it.....
that sure is a strange case for that guitar to be locked in, under the bed in for the last 30 years???
Yeah, I'm not sure why I didn't receive the original case. I know before my grandfather passed, he had it in the original, purple-lined Gibson case, but when I received the guitar from the will's executor, it was in this one. I really wish I could get my hands on it or one similar. He also had some amazing Marshall full-stacks that went to other family members, so someone may have pulled a fast one.

Latest Threads