Too many humbuckers

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to have acquired a lot more humbuckers than I've got guitars to put them in . . probably a common syndrome
IMG_3125.jpg

SD Screamin' Demon
DM Air Classic
Old DiMarzio Super Distortion
Old Dimarzio PAF
FMIC "De Armond"
[2nd column ]
2 x Jackson J-50Bs (one with repaired baseplate)
Gibson 490R
Pair of Schallers (kind of Jazz/JB combo)

Last edited:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and not enough time...

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a stash too. Hell, I even have a complete strat set all wired up with knobs and switches and ready to go…with no parts caster to put them in.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a stash too. Hell, I even have a complete strat set all wired up with knobs and switches and ready to go…with no parts caster to put them in.
Always good to be prepared.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
You have some nice pickups. Perhaps setting up a quick disconnect system and moving them around in a guitar you love the feel of. You could have a different guitar every month without a lot of hassle or expense.

Nigel always an innovator - 8 pickup guitar with a tach -> genius.

DJGranite

Reaction score
Not everyone shares your deviant inclinations...
I however am one of those who do.
I couldn't tell you how many pickups are in my possesion but the 3 boxes on the left are full of pickups and there are 4 more loaded pickguards that didn't get in the pic.
Not to mention the ones scattered around in different cases.
20200418_142048 (5).jpg

It can be addictive for sure. If I see a quality pickup for cheap, I pretty much always grab them. I got these for $100, I Had to buy them!
20200927_212416 (2).jpg
20200927_212345 (2).jpg

Changing pickups can change the whole character of a guitar, and if you don't like it, you can just change back.

Last edited:

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I see a quality pickup for cheap, I pretty much always grab them ...
Changing pickups can change the whole character of a guitar, and if you don't like it, you can just change back.
I agree with you on these points!

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people do collect pickups too :)
I am trying NOT to become a collector/hoarder ... but I like to experiment a little, and if I see a vintage pickup being sold for cheap well it seems a shame not to :D

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of no name humbuckers, a Gibson P-90 soapbar and a Fender CuNiFe WRHB. I don't change pickups much. I haven't decided where to put the WRHB.
I have the original pickup and harness for my 2009 Melody Maker reissue in its case.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I am trying NOT to become a collector/hoarder ... but I like to experiment a little, and if I see a vintage pickup being sold for cheap well it seems a shame not to :D
Sure. I do that too. They all get used eventually.

Dilver

Reaction score
A couple of years ago the wife bought me a big metal Craftsman tool chest thing - I don’t even know what you call them - the kind with a bunch of big sliding drawers. I’ve filled it with all my guitar tools, parts, pieces, etc. One of the drawers is dedicated to pickups. Sometimes I buy pickups I know that I think are a great deal. I keep thinking that I’ll somehow magically come upon the perfect guitar to put them in.

BKS

Reaction score
I have several pickups...get them if they are cheap too. I got a Shaw for 45€ few years back, a ttop for 200€ that came with a 83 tokai husk attached. Few bareknuckle sets from 90 to 150 ...wich looks impossible now as most list them over 300 now :eek:
But still sometimes....nice ones show up..hard to pass.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to have acquired a lot more humbuckers than I've got guitars to put them in . . probably a common syndrome

SD Screamin' Demon
DM Air Classic
Old DiMarzio Super Distortion
Old Dimarzio PAF
FMIC "De Armond"
[2nd column ]
2 x Jackson J-50Bs (one with repaired baseplate)
Gibson 490R
Pair of Schallers (kind of PAF/JB combo)
Not in picture:
Gibson 57/57+ pair that were factory original on my Les Paul, in storage in case I ever sell it.
Gibson "Lead Pro" which I've using for magnet swap experiments.

A set of humbucker-size P90s which I didn't bond with - don't qualify for the photo shoot, I'll be selling those I would guess.

(I recently sold off my "spare" single coil pickups, apart from a P90, so things are more under control there.)

Last edited:

kookaburra

Reaction score
OP, I'm in a similar position. Over the last two years my solder iron was restless, and I was able to buy pickups to experiment with. As a result, I have at least a half dozen humbuckers in the drawer with no home. I also have a number of Strat pickups that date back to an earlier episode of The Restless Iron...

I'll probably keep a couple, sell the rest.

Latest Threads