Too Bad...

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad Chinese Pistache is no good for guitars.
Neighbors down the street cut a huge one down a couple of days ago, and this beautiful two foot thick chunk is sitting at the curb. This is about 36 inches tall by 30 inches wide, and almost two feet thick.
Such a shame.... I can see a beautiful burst in there.

chunk.jpg

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Question....
I have never built a guitar so I just assumed.
Maybe I'll drag it home and let it cure until I'm ready to pester the hell out of you guys for advice...

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMO, top cap material is not as critical as back and neck. indeed, there are some not suitable for caps, but i'd check it out and see, but you do in fact want it to be dry no matter where you use it...preferable kiln dried. it is purdy.

lowatter

Reaction score
Is there free shipping but won't be delivered for 8-10 weeks?

(Chinese reference joke):rofl:

Last edited:

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Forgive me not knowing, but I might assume this is a Chinese version of pistachio tree, given the name.

Now if that's true, and if th American version is just as figured, I've got hundreds of pistachio trees in my vacinity.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
At the very least, you got some pretty veneers with that chunk of freebie!

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
I've use "exotic" timbers on many builds. Just make sure when you lay it up to air dry, that it's on some level stickers and that it will have a bit of a draft. Don't let it get dried out to fast or it will start to split and check.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've use "exotic" timbers on many builds. Just make sure when you lay it up to air dry, that it's on some level stickers and that it will have a bit of a draft. Don't let it get dried out to fast or it will start to split and check.

I'll add to that, not a bad idea to wax or paint (latex) the end grain.

I've preseved many a fret board and top from cupping and splitting doing that.

Latex paint is a good sealer and doesn't penetrate the wood. And everybody's got an old, half-used gallon of it lying around.

motowntom

Reaction score
What about old pianos? I play and am always searching craigs, facebook mkt,. and there are tons of old, and I mean old pianos for next to nothing or free. Think there;s any "good" wood to be found there?
Cheers

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
What about old pianos? I play and am always searching craigs, facebook mkt,. and there are tons of old, and I mean old pianos for next to nothing or free. Think there;s any "good" wood to be found there?
Cheers
No

Very little on old pianos are salvageable. The shells are laminated with veneer covering. The sound board is spruce but very little is salvageable for anything but bracing.

pshupe

Reaction score
Cheers
They have to be really really old and even then were veneer as Joe was saying. It seems surprising that they used veneer 150 yrs ago but they did. Maybe if they were built in South America possibly. Actually older furniture is more likely to use solid wood. Old armoires and tables etc from South America would be a better bet.

Cheers Peter.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the custom furniture place i used to work got an old baby grand piano in for refinishing. it was built in the late 1800's and someone painted it with a brush with white wall paint and painted big flowers on it. it had beautiful carved legs on it. when we stripped it down we found it to be made of rosewood. i don't think any of it had any veneer. if i remember right they appraised it at somewhere around 50k. all i could think of was how many fretboards i could make out of it.

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grabbed it this morning.
Here are more photos.
this thing weighs about 150.

w1.jpg

Latest Threads