TonePro Klusons..

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
TonePros-Kluson

Hey guys, a few questions,

First, do the TPK33's fit straight into modern LP Standards, same question for the TPKR3 for the Juniors.

Second, do they help keep the guitar in tune...ALOT better?

And last, do TonePro make Locking Tuners in the keystone style (and button for Juniors)

Thanks

scozz

Reaction score
I don't know about the fit VB, but most tuning problems are NOT caused by the tuners. In most cases it's the nut that is the problem. Stock tuners almost ALWAYS keep a guitar in tune. If you have tuning issues check the nut before you change your tuners.

rofong6

Reaction score
I agree with scozz, try replacing the nut. some people think that gotoh aluminum tailpiece is not really a step down from tonespros. save yourself the money.

azimuth

Reaction score
It seems that people often think locking tuners help a guitar stay in tune because they lock the string in place.

True they might help tuning isssues but it's because you don't need multiple wraps around the post when using locking tuners.

Perhaps a bigger advantage is they make changing strings easier.

You can still have tuning problems with locking tuners if your nut is not filed correctly for your string gauge.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
TonePros-Kluson

Hey guys, a few questions,

First, do the TPK33's fit straight into modern LP Standards, same question for the TPKR3 for the Juniors.

Second, do they help keep the guitar in tune...ALOT better?

And last, do TonePro make Locking Tuners in the keystone style (and button for Juniors)

Thanks

By and large most green keys have a 15:1 gear ratio. You could do better by yourself by going with Grovers or Gibson modern machine heads which have an advertised 18:1 gear ratio.

(and yeah, the tuning issues might be related to the nut. You might want to try putting some graphite shavings in the nut slots to prevent binding in the interim.)

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
http://www.allparts.com/store/tuning-keys-locking-3-x-3-tuning-keys-tk-0735-001,Product.asp Do these fit straight in without moding the headstock?

Well, the nut is actually very dodgy, here the story:

I took it to a local store to have it looked at, because there was a bad buzz. He filed the D string (I think) slot to fix it, but I think now he may have F**ked it worse than Gibson had done from the factory. So I went to a PROPER tech in Brisbane (nearly 2 hours away) I wanted the nut replaced, but he just raised it and slid something under to fix the buzz. It did, but I think the nut is STILL dodgy. Maybe its time to get a proper one.

Im mostly likely buying a BJA Junior next weekend, and Ive heard they are dodgy as hell in reguards to tuning, so I may replace both nuts on them.

What sort of nut is good, Bone?

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Well, the nut is actually very dodgy, here the story:

I took it to a local store to have it looked at, because there was a bad buzz. He filed the D string (I think) slot to fix it, but I think now he may have F**ked it worse than Gibson had done from the factory. So I went to a PROPER tech in Brisbane (nearly 2 hours away) I wanted the nut replaced, but he just raised it and slid something under to fix the buzz. It did, but I think the nut is STILL dodgy. Maybe its time to get a proper one.

Im mostly likely buying a BJA Junior next weekend, and Ive heard they are dodgy as hell in reguards to tuning, so I may replace both nuts on them.

What sort of nut is good, Bone?

Bone is good....and a lot of people swear by graphite or TUSQ (which is sort of like bone but is a manmade substance).

You can also get those nuts pre-slotted for about 10 USD...you might want to take it to a good shop anyway, but there are some...(I use the term loosely) options if there's no one around who can give your Gibby the TLC it deserves.

EDIT: On those keys...if you're not sure, measure the diameter of the key hole in the neck and see if you can find a vendor that offers the measurements for a proper replacement. (I usually end up at Guitarpartsdepot.com because they do have the measurements for the tuners, bridges and tailpieces that they sell from Gotoh, Tonepros, Kluson, etc.)

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
It is simple as this. If you have push-in bushings on your Gibson, you use push-in style Tonepros (or any other brand). If you have screw-in bushings on your Gibson, then you uses the screw-in style Tonepros (or any other brand)

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
So you just put a bit of pencil "lead" under the strings in the nut slot? How does that help?

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
It is simple as this. If you have push-in bushings on your Gibson, you use push-in style Tonepros (or any other brand). If you have screw-in bushings on your Gibson, then you uses the screw-in style Tonepros (or any other brand)

So what is standard on a 07 Standard? I dont know?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Some years Gibson Standards used push-in bushings, other years they used screw-in bushings. So to answer your question we would need more information from you.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
So you just put a bit of pencil "lead" under the strings in the nut slot? How does that help?

Pencil lead or crushed mechanical pencil shavings. (crushed down to a powder). Stick those in your nut slots and your strings won't bind as much in the nut which should help keep it in tune.

As for the tuners...I know people say "hey, this'll fit no problem", but if you want to be absolutely, positively 100% sure measure the diameter of the hole, and then find a vendor that states "the hole needs to be at least this big for these tuners."

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
I do own the guitar, its in my display, I dont know how to tell the difference between push in and screw in? Sorry

After looking, the post just sticks through the silver washer looking thing on the headstock. There is no nut or anything around the post. So Id say Push In?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, then you have push in, so the Tonepro TBKB3 is NOT for you, but the TPK33 is. They are probably the best Kluson style tuner out there. But I am a Grover Rotomatic fan myself.

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
Yes, then you have push in, so the Tonepro TBKB3 is NOT for you, but the TPK33 is. They are probably the best Kluson style tuner out there. But I am a Grover Rotomatic fan myself.

I dont know where you go the idea I wanted to use TPKB3's from, they arent even for Gibsons. Why are the TPK33's so good?

So will the Allpart locking tuners work also?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Yes they ARE for Gibsons IF ou have screw-in bushings! Goodbye.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I dont know where you go the idea I wanted to use TPKB3's from, they arent even for Gibsons. Why are the TPK33's so good?

So will the Allpart locking tuners work also?

Eh, I've given my 2 cents on those Green Keys.

Get Modern Machine Heads and you'll have a better set of tuners on your guitar. (And nah, I still think no matter how you're trying to bugger the monkey, it's still a 15:1 gear ratio with those plastic tipped green key tuners.)

IN all seriousness....if you want killer tuners for your Gibson...get these. This is what they put on the custom shop guitars. (and this set is on sale...)

369578jpg.jpg

Gibson Modern Nickel Machine Heads with Metal Buttons and more Guitar Pickups and Parts at GuitarCenter.com.

PS: Allparts has a lot of stuff, but they charge a lot of money as well. There's better places to find parts for your guitar....

Latest Threads