Tone riders and creamery pickups

donjuan87

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with either of these brands? Opinions appreciated.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I used some Tonerider Alnico2 Classics in a LP Studio. Replaced the Burstbuckers which I've never cared for.
I though they were quite good actually. Similar to 57 Classics. Can't speak for any other model.

crave1

Reaction score
This year I invested in a custom calibrated set of 3 Firebird pickups for my Firebird VII from Jaime at The Creamery. I got what I asked for (and the tone I wanted) within the agreed delivery time and the quality is spot on (absolutely slays SD and DM options). There was a week or so delay because Jaime wasn't happy with the quality of the covers supplied to him and whilst he offered me all the alternatives available to him I decided to wait a week or so for the traditional plain covers.

The basic recipe was 4 conductor, wound to 1963/64 spec with a twist in the magnet choice...... No arguments from Jaime just a reassuring conversation that what I was after would work for my tone. The Bridge ended up @ 7.3k DC through to the neck @ 6.2 k DC. Dynamic, clear as a bell and does the "fat Tele" sound in spades. The guitar has gone from "nice to have" to #1 gig guitar.

I'll be going back to Jaime based on my experience.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
I've used Tonerider alnico II classics and alnico IV classics, and they are well made and sound fine.
I have no experience with the Creamery, but only heard good things about his pickups.
I do have a pair of "vintage" PAF pickups from another British winder, Mojo Pickups UK, and I'm very pleased with them. I think he is very busy at the moment, but usually delivers within the promised time.

AHGrayLensman

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with either of these brands? Opinions appreciated.
I have Tonerider Alnico 4 Classics in two of my guitars, an Epi LP and a PRS Bernie Marsden. I like them quite a bit. I've also had an SG with their Rebel 90s in it, and those were good as well.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I've had a set of Toneriders (cant remember which ones - I sold the guitar ages ago) and they were fine. Never read a bad thing about them on this forum.

never tried Creamery.

kboman

Reaction score
I've got a Creamery Baby '71 in one of my guitars (middle position in an old Ibanez strat-style) and it's basically become my base sound. Fantastic pickup - I've had it in three different guitars and all positions but this is where it really shines!

It's a Wide Range style construction in a standard humbucker format. It's so good I'm having considerable problems finding something that keeps up with it...! Highly recommended winder.

rich85

Reaction score
Toneriders are my fav. pickup brand

The Alnico II set is just so sweet sounding.

I just put a Rocksong in my R8, its a medium to hot output alnico II magnet pickup with lots of definition and chimey high end. Not as bright as a Pearly Gates though and not muddy like the burstbucker 2 it replaced.

Will get round to trying their alnico II vintage P90s eventually, I find the Gibson stock P90's quite nice though so havnt felt the need yet.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I’ve had Creamery Firebird pickups before and they were very good.

Obviously not as fast as buying from a mainstream manufacturer but they were wound and delivered within the quoted time so no complaints on my end.

garybaldy

Reaction score
If anyone's still interested I've recently installed TR AIVs in a Fenix LPC copy. They are truly wonderful. Also I have Creamery vintage style fb in my Tokai fb. They were in it when I bought it. I swapped their positions as the bridge was really bright and neck very fat sounding. It was a great mod.

Gclef

Reaction score
I have a set of tonerider rebel 90s.

They are a bit bright but sound great overall.

I cant get over how quiet they are for single coils.

The quality was as good as any pickup maker, just lower cost.

LP1865

Reaction score
I just put in a set of Tonerider Rocksongs in my Epiphone.
I can't compare then to anything, but they sound sweet.
I see myself buying more of them.

Latest Threads