Tone Report: 2001 Murphy Aged R9 with Brazilian fret board & Shed Zepps

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I made these videos last night. First, the excuses: 1) I don't play that often; so my calluses were gone when I played a guitar at GC Saturday that had 10 gauge strings on it - thus my finger tips were all raw last night (Sunday) and 2) along with not playing that often comes the rust. And it is clearly seen. So if you can wade past my excuses, you may be able to hear the tone.

I put a set of Shed Zepps in this guitar. The only other things on it that are not stock are 1) Gibson historic wireless bridge and 2) Retrospec offset tail piece studs. I have examples of the guitar playing pre-1972 LZ live (Page's #1 still had the original 1959 PAF in the bridge position) and post-1972 LZ live (Page's #1 had the bridge pickup replaced with a 1970s patent number pickup). I think the pickups sound good for either era, but they probably sound more like the pre-1972 PAFs, which is what I am after. I had hoped to do a video of something I had not done before. But that will have to wait since I do not have all of the equipment I need.

1971 BBC recordings:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aVIIFi0As]Immigrant Song BBC solo cover on a 2001 Gibson Les Paul R9 with Brazilian FB - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmZKPiWyF8]Heartbreaker BBC Solo cover on a 2001 Gibson Les Paul R9 with Brazilian FB - YouTube[/ame]

1973 TSRTS:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dupwr0_3_gA]Led Zeppelin Black Dog TSRTS cover on a 2001 Gibson Les Paul R9 with Brazilian FB - YouTube[/ame]

JPP373

Reaction score
Sounds Really Good..My favorite is Video #2. Actually listening to Video 3 sounds really good also:) The tone in 2 that just hits the mark. The other Videos the Sheds sound great but more PAF sound, which ain't a bad thing, then what i expected i.e. compared to your #1 or PAge CA's etc. PUP's

DiZzy-T

Reaction score
I think your vids are great and after I read more often on this forum, I also found your vids a long time ago and suscribed to your channel.

To the tone of these pups: I prefer the tone on your Heartbreaker solo. The Immigrant song is also great, so the pre 1972 tone is my personal favorite ;-)

DiZzy-T

Reaction score
I think your vids are great and after I read more often on this forum, I also found your vids a long time ago and suscribed to your channel.

To the tone of these pups: I prefer the tone on your Heartbreaker solo. The Immigrant song is also great, so the pre 1972 tone is my personal favorite ;-)

Charros55

Banned
Reaction score
Agree with Gator Slim, Black Dog does sound awesomely good.

Loving those Shed Zepps through the JCM900. Very nice

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Holy crap that sounds great! What amp settings did you use?

FUS44

Reaction score
I don't know what is more impressive: your collection, your playing or your ability to coax absolutely glorious tones from an amp I found to be an utter POS. (I struggled with my 900 mightily).
The Immigrant solo is one of my favorite JPP solos of all time and you nailed it.

Now, what is really disturbing and an absolute byproduct of this forum.....I couldn't stop looking at the inlays and thinking "they need to go". Obviously, no effect on TONE, however!

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Holy crap that sounds great! What amp settings did you use?

on my jcm 900 i think i had middle & presence on 5, reverb on 4, treble all the way up, bass on 4, gain on 9, volume on 9, and power brake on 1.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Es Paul

Reaction score
Hey John, How does the center position sound with this setup? Glorious, I presume.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey John, How does the center position sound with this setup? Glorious, I presume.

I have not spent a lot of time there. I never do. I did try it out though. I am not one who could give you a good opinion on it since I don't use it much.

Latest Threads