Tone Controls On Guitar. WHY???

Scott A Novak

Reaction score
I've never understood why they put low pass filters on a guitar. My amplifiers have all had tone controls. In the early 70's, for more tone control, I built a preamp with graphic equalizer. The tone control on my guitars just seemed like a nuisance.

Do the tone controls on your guitar do anything useful that you cannot already do with your amplifier's tone controls?

Do any of you change the tone control setting on your guitar in the middle of a song?

Do any of you change the tone control setting on your guitar from song to song?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do the tone controls on your guitar do anything useful that you cannot already do with your amplifier's tone controls?

Do any of you change the tone control setting on your guitar in the middle of a song?

Yes, you just replied your own question, since the "tone" on the guitar has nothing to do with the tone on the amp.
Yes, vol/tone are controls to fine shape your sound (especially in a 2Vol/2Tone system), prior the amp.
Yes, absolutely.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
I've never understood why they put low pass filters on a guitar. My amplifiers have all had tone controls. In the early 70's, for more tone control, I built a preamp with graphic equalizer. The tone control on my guitars just seemed like a nuisance.

I am ALWAYS playing with both my volume and tone knobs on my guitars, even throughout the same piece. You're missing out on a lot of tonal variations by not using these tools...

Thundermtn

Reaction score
If you ever put a JPP harness into a LP you'll have multiple tone knob levels preset in your head for each of the sounds you can get just with the guitar.

I too make the amp sound as good as possible and leave it alone.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
When gigging, I use tone and volume controls, on the guitar, all the time, in the beginning, middle and end of a song and from song to song. For each LP that I gig with, I have also replaced the stock harness with a Jonesy Blues 50s harness. That makes all the difference in the world. Tones and volumes have never sounded so sweet. A great night is when I don't have to adjust the amp at all.