Tone Capacitors LP Standard

goldtop56

Reaction score
ok so i am going to re-wire my new vintage sunburst standard and was wondering which tone caps would be best. the guitar has a SD SH2 and a SD SH4. i have got a wiring diagram for the 50s wiring with push pull pots (kindly given to me by [email protected]) i have ordered one push pull pot as i already have one and some braided wire. but dont have a clue which caps to get. also what wire shall i use for the ground wire?

one more thing on the diagram it has the hot pickup wire going to the volume pots but to the tone pots it has a wire going to the push pull tone pot that is labelled bridge pickup series link what is this wire???

warpedsoul

Reaction score
First off, MSSC make excellent prewired harnesses. I am a customer and will buy from them in the future.

BUT, if you want to do it yourself, MSSC usually recommonds .015 uF for neck and .022 uF for bridge. That is what was installed on the harness I bought from them.

goldtop56

Reaction score
yeah i know they do some great looking harness's as does jonesy but im not in a position to pay out for them at the moment so am gonna give it a bash my self i did my 56GT not to long ago and i think i did a pretty good job.

any idea about the pickup series link wire???

warpedsoul

Reaction score
I made a correction to the capacitor values. They are .015 uF for neck and .022 uF for bridge.

The ground wire comes from the bridge. But I also ask Dave a lot of questions about this stuff myself so............ he knows best.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ok so i am going to re-wire my new vintage sunburst standard and was wondering which tone caps would be best. the guitar has a SD SH2 and a SD SH4. i have got a wiring diagram for the 50s wiring with push pull pots (kindly given to me by [email protected]) i have ordered one push pull pot as i already have one and some braided wire. but dont have a clue which caps to get. also what wire shall i use for the ground wire?

one more thing on the diagram it has the hot pickup wire going to the volume pots but to the tone pots it has a wire going to the push pull tone pot that is labelled bridge pickup series link what is this wire???

Since, you have Seymour Duncans, this is an easy one - The black wire on the pickups is hot. That wire gets soldered to the volume pot. The red and white wires are the series link. Those two get soldered together onto the tree of the push/pull (tone pot per our diagram). We actually prewire a red pigtail wire onto the push/pull to make installation a little easier, but you don't need to do that. The important thing is to make sure that both the red and white are soldered onto the appropriate lug on the p/p pot. The green and bare wires are your grounds. They both get soldered onto the back of the volume pot.

As for grounding wire to ground the pots together, we use 20AWG buss wire, but a piece of cloth covered pushback wire works fine as well.

Lastly, as already mentioned, unless we are building a vintage correct harness, most everyone wants .015 for the neck and .022 for the bridge. Tons of choices out there if you want paper in oil, ceramic etc...

PM me if you have other questions. Happy to help :)

-Matt

goldtop56

Reaction score
Since, you have Seymour Duncans, this is an easy one - The black wire on the pickups is hot. That wire gets soldered to the volume pot. The red and white wires are the series link. Those two get soldered together onto the tree of the push/pull (tone pot per our diagram). We actually prewire a red pigtail wire onto the push/pull to make installation a little easier, but you don't need to do that. The important thing is to make sure that both the red and white are soldered onto the appropriate lug on the p/p pot. The green and bare wires are your grounds. They both get soldered onto the back of the volume pot.

As for grounding wire to ground the pots together, we use 20AWG buss wire, but a piece of cloth covered pushback wire works fine as well.

Lastly, as already mentioned, unless we are building a vintage correct harness, most everyone wants .015 for the neck and .022 for the bridge. Tons of choices out there if you want paper in oil, ceramic etc...

PM me if you have other questions. Happy to help :)

-Matt

many thanks matt you have been a great help!!! i have gone for the .015 and .022 for my pios have found the ground wire aswell so just got to wait for it all to arrive then i can start. i will let you know how it goes but no laughing its only the second time i have done wiring on a guitar or anything come to think of it:shock:

Latest Threads