Tone Bender mkII Replica ~~ NOS OC75 Transistors ~~ Tonebender clone

RambleFX

Reaction score
I am a hobby builder of pedals and will be making just 4 of these with NOS Mullard OC75 Germanium transistors. I haven't been active on this forum, but my eBay and TDPRI userid is also tjk3052.

This is a premium Tone Bender mkII Professional replica. At the heart of the circuit are 3 NOS (new old stock) Mullard OC75 Germanium transistors that were hand selcted to have the proper gain and leakage to make a truly special tone. The capacitors are Mallory 150 metalized polyester film, and are the choice of many botique amp builders. Even the resistors are era correct, cabon composition resistors. All of that mojo is stuffed into an aluminum enclosure smaller than a normal Boss pedal.

It has all the magic that the great Tone Bender's have. Deep, thick, vintage tone that will sustain forever. At minimum 'Attack' it has a buzzsaw growl, and at max it becomes a wall of fuzz.

In addition to an authentic mkII Professional circuit, there are 3 great features which makes this pedal extremely versatile.
  • Mk I.V switch: The rare, and highly collectible, version before the mkII Pro was the "mk I.V" (mark 1.5). This switch bypasses the first transistor making the circuit nearly identical to the mk I.V. The mk I.V is very similar to the classic Fuzz Face. It has less gain than in mkII mode, and cleans up very well with your guitar's volume.
  • Fat switch: The fat switch is a subtle change to the tone and output. It adds more bass and volume.
  • Built-in voltage inverter: Tone Benders which use the proper type Germanium transistors cannot share a daisy chained power adapter with other pedals because they require opposite polarity power. This pedal solves that problem with a built-in voltage inverter chip. It can be powered like any normal pedal, using a Boss style (tip neg-) adapter or a 9V battery. NOTE: the inverter chip is only inverting the power supply, it has no direct effect on the tone of circuit, which is pure, vintage Tone Bender.
$160 Shipped/PP'd

TBmkII1.jpg

TBmkII2.jpg

TBmkIIGUTS1.jpg

TBmkII3.jpg

TBmkIIGUTS2.jpg

TBmkII4.jpg

DADGAD

Reaction score
Very interesting. Can you email me at
austinwinn at hotmail dot com. Thanks!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Looks sharp. Nice work. I love Tone Benders. Possibly my favorite dirt box style.

What brought you to decide on Mallory film caps for this? I ask because you obviously put a great deal of thought into component selection.

RambleFX

Reaction score
Looks sharp. Nice work. I love Tone Benders. Possibly my favorite dirt box style.

What brought you to decide on Mallory film caps for this? I ask because you obviously put a great deal of thought into component selection.

Thanks. I agree, especially the mkII's, they are magic.

About the caps...Cap types are debated ad-nauseum on guitar forums, and although I am usually of the opinion that cap type makes very little difference in guitar applications, in this circuit it does.

These caps give it a the deep tone that a mkii should have, but the clarity is never lost, even on the neck pickup. It actually surprised me how noticeable the difference was. I guess it's like in cooking - the fewer the ingredients, the more important the quality of each ingredient is.

DADGAD

Reaction score
All killer, no filler. I signed up for one. Looking for a tone similar to 1:20

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_YwaKDjPU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Jimmy Page Sound - Tone bender JMI MKII Fuzz Pedal - YouTube[/ame]

BWH

Reaction score
I think I will get one. Please post contact info or PM me. thanks!

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
very cool sounding circuits =)

i have been planning on building one of these for myself for quiet some time, just havent gotten around to it. very nice work =)

Ab032

Reaction score
I have been looking for someone who can build this! I am VERY interested on purchasing one of these!

hagcel

Reaction score
Sign me up! I'll take one!

joshua (Dot) allard (at) gmail

RambleFX

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for no contact info. I can be reached at: tjk3052 -at- hotmail -dot- com

I just sent the only one I had built, and have parts on the way for 3 more. I can build more than that as needed though, so I'll start a list.

Please contact me via email and include your UserID. Of those who have posted here already, I'll keep you in that order, but please email as well.

I am not taking a deposit or anything, so no need to pay until I have yours built.

Thanks,
Tim.

BWH

Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I sent you an email. If I'm reading the thread trail above correctly, I think I'm next!! Yahoo!!!!!

stratfish

Reaction score
Hi Tim,
I'd like you to build me one of these beasts please.
Will send you an email.
Based on the thread traffic above I realize that there are 4 others in front of me:
BWH, Ab032, cryptozoo & hagcel...
so I'm not in a big hurry.

Thanks,
Mark in CO

stratfish

Reaction score
All killer, no filler. I signed up for one. Looking for a tone similar to 1:20

Jimmy Page Sound - Tone bender JMI MKII Fuzz Pedal - YouTube

That's what I'm talkin' about!
As soon as I saw that/heard that part of "It Might Get Loud" I thought: "Listen to that thing growling!! I want one of those pedals..." but the prices for a real vintage Tonebender quickly made me realize that was impossible for me financially. Glad to see Tim is making this possible for an average-joe gear-slut like me!

DADGAD

Reaction score
Hi Tim,
I'd like you to build me one of these beasts please.
Will send you an email.
Based on the thread traffic above I realize that there are 4 others in front of me:
BWH, Ab032, cryptozoo & hagcel...
so I'm not in a big hurry.

Thanks,
Mark in CO

DADGAD is near the front of that line too!

stratfish

Reaction score
DADGAD is near the front of that line too!

Sorry DADGAD - I assumed that you were the lucky new owner of the pedal that Tim said he had pre-built and recently shipped, since you are 1st in the thread saying you want one.
Looks like BWH is making the same assumption, saying: "if I'm reading the thread trail correctly, I think I'm next!"

Either way, from my vantage point you're sittin' pretty at the top of the heap! :dude:

DADGAD

Reaction score
Just found out I'm oficially #2 in line. can't wait! The Plexi awaits.

Latest Threads