Tonal difference when using a 16 ohm speaker into an 8 ohm output?

intargc

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I'm not wondering if there is an audible difference between a 16 ohm and 8 ohm speaker. I'm more wondering if there is a difference in tone if I take a 16 ohm speaker and plug it into an 8 ohm output socket on an amp?

I'm wondering this because on a Mesa amp I have, in their manual, it says that a 16 ohm speaker into their 8 ohm output is a "safe mismatch." I have a 16 ohm Vintage 30 speaker laying around that I've tried in this configuration and I like the sound of it a lot better than the stock speaker (a C90), but I'm wondering if I got an 8 ohm Vintage 30, if that would make any tonal difference? Like, maybe I'm losing some mids or bass when doing this "safe mismatch" and going with a properly matched value will make the amp sonically superior?

I'm not sure I want to shell out the funds to get an 8 ohm Vintage 30 unless it will make a noticeable difference.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
If you want the best performance, you want matching ohms. FFS, it is a Mesa! :thumb:

NotScott

Reaction score
I ran a 16 ohm Altec in my Mark III 8 ohm output for years with no issues. When you mismatch, you will lose some output and the amp will sound more compressed. If you like the squishy feel, go with the mismatch. If you like more headroom and response, keep them matched.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
I often run 1 JBL E120 ( 8 ohm ) with my 1969 4 ohm Dual Showman for the reason stated above. Mainly for me to cut output. Its also been Blackfaced and an ODS mod on 1st channel.

Tele Jr.

Reaction score
Yes there is an audible difference between an 8 ohm and 16 ohm Celestion v30 speaker, and yes it will sound different when impedance is matched vs mismatched.

martin H

Reaction score
Aside any tonal diffidence cause by the mismatch of impedance, compared to an 8 ohm speaker a 16 ohm speaker either had 1) more turns of the same diameter wire on its coil, or 2) The same number of turns of thinner wire.

Either situation presents a different induction/capacitance to the amp, and has a small effect on frequency response. IMO, if its noticeable, the effect is pretty small.

Tele Jr.

Reaction score
Two 8 ohm v30's wired to 16 ohms will sound different than a single 8 ohm v30. Expect the 16 ohm v30 to sound more like two 8 ohm v30's wired to 16 ohms than a single 8 ohm v30.

Latest Threads