Tomorrow is the day.... Picking up an amp!!!

notoperational

Reaction score
If everything goes well tomorrow... I will be bringing home an amp. After a lot of hard thought, research and some rigorous hands on testing... :naughty: I have made a decision on what is the best amp for me... And I think I have made some smart decisions. I originally set out to get a Rockerverb 50 and an Orange 4x12 cabinet and set myself with a budget of $3,000 (around what the mail-order price was on both of those items).

After thinking about what I would have to do to get these amps (without months and months of lay-away) I came to the conclusion that the least money I spent... The better, especially since this is coming to me in terms of a SMALL personal loan. I'll be honest, if it weren't for me working in a guitar shop, I may not of been able to pursue this any further than a want and a dream (or a Tiny Terror ;) haha)...

Anyways, my pick for both an economical and usable amp... For band duties and personal use....

The Orange Rocker 30...

WHY?
All the tone (and then some... I'll elaborate as to why later on) of the Rockerverbs are there... It has a natural channel, which to me... When driven to break up is one of the sweetest Orange tones you'll ever find. Ever. Something the Rockerverb 50/100 definetly isn't capable of... At least at any sort of a livable volume. It has all the bells and whistles of its bigger brothers. Minus reverb, but an EH Holy Grail is only $100 new, which takes care of my need for reverb without dropping anywhere close to $2,000 for a head (plus, it is more versatile than the Orange reverb... Which is good, although its debatable the Holy Grail could be better). All the gain is there if I want it (from any kind of rock, to all out brutal metal), the clean abilities are there. For the price of admission, I can't get over what this amp does.

WHAT CAB?
Orange 2x12, closed back... Vintage 30s + Orange= WIN. Not to mention that, but the PPC cabs, there is just something about them that you would have to experience for yourself. I'm around a lot of cabs and amps all day long, and these are some of the best you can get and they come in a lot of different flavors... 1x12, 2x12 (an open back version is available), and 4x12. I decided I wanted to go with the 2x12 closed back, because it brings the tone and punch of a LARGE cabinet, while physically not being that big. It's transportable and monstrous sounding. The weight on it, is definitely livable too... I can easily move it by myself which was a must on my cab. Although the 4x12 is cool, I don't think it is necessary (although VERY bad ass). But, if I make it big anytime soon (YEAH RIGHT :laugh2:) I'll get one and stack the 2x12 on top of it ;)

All in all... I am dropping hundreds less on this set-up than a new Rockerverb 50 costs (Holy Grail included :laugh2:) and getting all the Orange tone a person could desire.

EVERYBODY WHO PUT IN THERE $.02 IN MY OTHER THREAD!!!!
Thank you.
There was a lot of good advice given in that thread, from different amp suggestions, to advice on financial and life situations... And it was all taken to heart. Out of the hundreds of threads and thousands of posts that I have read, made and contributed too, I feel that that was one of the best I have seen on here. There was A LOT of good information posted up there. Anybody that is ever in my shoes should give that entire thread (all 10 pages or so haha) a read over.

Given what I have saved up and how long my little loan is for, it isn't gonna be some life changing, detrimental financial hit at all... In fact, for what this does (not to mention the fact this is something I have always wanted) this is a bargain.

Honestly, having good gear is a crucial part to being in a band, at least a band that is trying to make it to the next level, and I know this is gear that I can rely on and that I will always sound good on. I never want to have gear that I have to question again in my life, and with Oranges reputation and customer service I know I won't have any outrageous problems. If I do have problems, I know it won't be a major hassle to get my amp fixed or replaced.

Tomorrow is the day (or maybe Friday if it takes a little to go through) and I can't wait! I'm so excited, I really can't believe I am getting to do this!!! :D

The_Sentry

Reaction score
You....BASTARD!!!!!!!

I'm jealous as all hell!!!!

!!!!!!!

(j/k man...seriously...that's an awesome rig based on those I've heard in the semi-local music store and online. Congratulations!)

notoperational

Reaction score
Man, don't be jealous.

I've NEVER had a good amp of my own. I've been borrowing gear from my friends for the past 6 months almost, I've had equipment failures in shows, I've had BAD sounding stuff in live settings... I think I've earned a nice amp by now. I just hope everything goes well and I get it and get my moneys worth :naughty:

I hope nobody has to go through what I have went through with gear in the past!!!!

Ed B

Reaction score
thats great to hear Brett!! congrats!! :rock:

Physical_rocks

Reaction score
what do they get for the 2x12 I have been eyeing one of those for a while?

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Brett...I saw a Pro player in Nashville using that setup...he turned the 2x12 on it's side, making it a bit taller--projected sound better, like having half of a 4x12.

The head still sat securely, and it looked badass.

You HAVE to get a new Vox curly cord though...you GOT to. :D

Congrats--you're going to have to bring it over so I can hear it. :D

BB

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Man, don't be jealous.

I've NEVER had a good amp of my own. I've been borrowing gear from my friends for the past 6 months almost, I've had equipment failures in shows, I've had BAD sounding stuff in live settings... I think I've earned a nice amp by now. I just hope everything goes well and I get it and get my moneys worth :naughty:

I hope nobody has to go through what I have went through with gear in the past!!!!

np, man...just givin' ya grief....:)

It could always be worse. I had one of these blow up during the middle of a show...

95927333AwMZBt_ph.jpg

As far as Orange goes....they've actually been getting a lot of props over Marshall with the tone purists and rock crowd. That's not an easy thing to do at all...

Bizarro

Reaction score
Congratulations Brett. Photos are mandatory once you receive it.

Bordeaux

Reaction score
Congrats Brett! I too am jealous but also happy for you.

Since your Orange post, you have me wanting one. I was looking at either a Blackstar HT-5 or the Krank Rev Jr but now I'm looking hard at the Orange TT.

The Blackstar may be off the list entirely as I already have a 5 watt amp (Epi VJ) and need something with a little more umf in case we ever play an outside show without mics.

Hope you get lots of enjoyment (and I'm sure you will) out of your investment! :thumb:

200th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dude: (sorry, I couldn't help it)

notoperational

Reaction score
Quick update... But, it did not get to come home today :(

I'll keep you all posted though. Regardless of the situation, this is for sure what I am going to go with.

notoperational

Reaction score
Hey Brett...I saw a Pro player in Nashville using that setup...he turned the 2x12 on it's side, making it a bit taller--projected sound better, like having half of a 4x12.

The head still sat securely, and it looked badass.

You HAVE to get a new Vox curly cord though...you GOT to. :D

Congrats--you're going to have to bring it over so I can hear it. :D

BB

haha definetly. I'll get some normal cords for the effects loop and a long curly one to run from the guitar to the amp, a white one maybe haha ;)

And yes, when it comes home I'll definetly bring it over. I'll convert you to the Orange side, you wait!

siore

Reaction score
Congrats brett! You've waited a looooooonnnng time for that amp. I bet it's gonna feel great. :)

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Your musical life changes when you get a REAL amplifier. Congrats. Be sure to give us a full review once you start jamming.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Orange you glad you bought that!!
It will gaurentee you dont have Rickets while playing

notoperational

Reaction score
It still isn't home... May not be for a bit yet, we'll see how this plays out. :(

But, there is talks of me getting an award for moving so much Orange stuff haha :)

Reaction score
That's gonna be a killer rig Bro!!!

I have a 100 watt Marshall halfstack and I had to buy an attenuator to be able to play at decent levels with the band. I'll be looking in the 30 watt range in the future when I'll need another amp.

V30s are the way to go! I'm glad I swapped out the speakers in my Marshall 1960 cab. I got lucky, I had a friend that traded speakers with me. They added a low midrange growl and thickness to my tone.

Can't wait to hear the news of you taking it home!

notoperational

Reaction score
That's gonna be a killer rig Bro!!!

I have a 100 watt Marshall halfstack and I had to buy an attenuator to be able to play at decent levels with the band. I'll be looking in the 30 watt range in the future when I'll need another amp.

V30s are the way to go! I'm glad I swapped out the speakers in my Marshall 1960 cab. I got lucky, I had a friend that traded speakers with me. They added a low midrange growl and thickness to my tone.

Can't wait to hear the news of you taking it home!

Yeah I can't wait. For what that costs, it really is probably the best money you can spend. At least in the terms of EL34 amps, or British amps in general.

I would highly recommend any Orange in the 30 watt range. I'm not real big on the AD30, but a lot of people enjoy that one.

Reaction score
Yeah I can't wait. For what that costs, it really is probably the best money you can spend. At least in the terms of EL34 amps, or British amps in general.

I would highly recommend any Orange in the 30 watt range. I'm not real big on the AD30, but a lot of people enjoy that one.

I'm so tempted into trying EL34s in my amp. I like the way it sounds with 6l6s but I'm scared I won't like it with EL34s.

notoperational

Reaction score
I'm so tempted into trying EL34s in my amp. I like the way it sounds with 6l6s but I'm scared I won't like it with EL34s.

Don't be scared.

You'll enjoy it, I promise!

I got an AD30 and a Rocker 30 hanging out in the store. The R30 was supposed to be mine, but... I can always get another in.

Latest Threads